1980 espy story on a female hustler .. lol

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Was that Lori Shampo? Johnnyt

That's what i was thinking. Is that spelled right? I don't think its Palmer Byrd. I'm working from memory which is, in my case, a sketchy resource indeed.

Last edited:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Scott, you sure? She was a stone cold player.

Attachments

• Lori%20Shampo%20-%20mid%20'80s.jpg
    Lori%20Shampo%20-%20mid%20'80s.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 817

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Scott, you sure? She was a stone cold player.

Totally...and some of her interests could cause her to waiver a bit on this issue, but sometimes, a stone fox too.

Plus, newscasters were far far far less likely to fake a news clip or story back in the day.

Zbotiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really??????

Kevin...The girl in the video is an actress...that was not Lori Shampo. The story is about Lori Shampo.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

You can look at her, listen and learn a bit, about one of the better gambling female players of that time period. Sure Looks, sounds, and moves the ball like Lori, 'cause it's her, not some look alike actress! :scratchhead:
P.S. The only other Michigan girl that set up like that was Vicki Frechen.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
You can look at her, listen and learn a bit, about one of the better gambling female players of that time period. Sure Looks, sounds, and moves the ball like Lori, 'cause it's her, not some look alike actress! :scratchhead:
P.S. The only other Michigan girl that set up like that was Vicki Frechen.

God, I remember Vicki (sorta) too. Who are you?

LOL.

Kevin

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Jeepers guys, Vicki Frechen? Palmer Byrd? That is without a doubt, the great Lori Shampo, not some actress. She was credited with the all-time bark at Jeannie Balukas, "I'll shoot your ovaries off!"

I had a serious enough case of the hots for Lori to certainly know what she looked like.

Beard

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Jeepers guys, Vicki Frechen? Palmer Byrd? That is without a doubt, the great Lori Shampo, not some actress. She was credited with the all-time bark at Jeannie Balukas, "I'll shoot your ovaries off!"

I had a serious enough case of the hots for Lori to certainly know what she looked like.

Beard

And the best part in stone cold hustling tradition the piece did not reveal her name....

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Beard

You betcha, Freddy! You know your players. When Lori first showed up on tour, I was astounded. I had never seen a woman play 9-Ball like her, not even Jean. Jean was a great player, but she had that controlled, compact, 14.1 stroke. Lori, on the other hand, was a big stroker, big elbow-dropper, and with a huge break. She could spin the heck out of that cue ball. She reminded me of players like David Howard during that era.

She was my favorite female 9 ball player of all time, because of her game, but also because of all the barriers she had to break way back then which she met head-on.

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
That probably would be a close 9 ball game gambling. They never did play...did they? Johnnyt

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That probably would be a close 9 ball game gambling. They never did play...did they? Johnnyt

Jean and Lori? Not gambling. I don't think Jean gambled. They played each other in WPBA tournaments. Lori would get nervous in tournaments. Her comfort zone was matching up rather than tournament play. I remember at least two occasions when they played in a tournament --- the finals I think. Jean won, but she was in her comfort zone where Lori was like a fish out of water, itching to get out of the limelight.

Last edited: