The Color of Money (film 1986)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My main complaint when I first saw it in the theaters was that it was a bait and switch. Having previously read the book it was obvious that they wanted to make a pool movie but had no confidence in it doing well unless they could bill it as a sequel to the Hustler. So, they basically made an essentially unrelated pool movie that had nothing to do with the world of the Hustler other than the name of the movie, the name of a character, and the actor playing that character. It was a decent pool movie, but had none of the complexity of character or nuance or moral ambiguity that the Hustler, book and movie, had and that the book TCOM had.

I agree..I liked the book better....Walter understood a lot about pool playing.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
My main complaint when I first saw it in the theaters was that it was a bait and switch. Having previously read the book it was obvious that they wanted to make a pool movie but had no confidence in it doing well unless they could bill it as a sequel to the Hustler. So, they basically made an essentially unrelated pool movie that had nothing to do with the world of the Hustler other than the name of the movie, the name of a character, and the actor playing that character. It was a decent pool movie, but had none of the complexity of character or nuance or moral ambiguity that the Hustler, book and movie, had and that the book TCOM had.

I agree. It would've been nice to see Walter Tevis's sequel to the Hustler make it to the big screen. I wonder how many people thought The Color of Money (movie) was the actual sequel to The Hustler, and because of this never read the book?

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Um in the book the hero gets stiffed in a pool match and opens a quilt shop. Not exactly riveting.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Um in the book the hero gets stiffed in a pool match and opens a quilt shop. Not exactly riveting.

Lol... yes, the book is a much slower story, but it's also a deeper, more real story. And it's the actual sequel to The Hustler. I liked the movie and the fact that it brought new life into the pool world, but I also liked Walter Tevis's book, the continuation of Fast Eddie's struggles and how Eddie and Fats become friends. It's a great story, though not exactly fitting for a Tom Cruise blockbuster hit.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

In the book, Eddie shows up at a 9-ball tournament...nobody knows him...
...they can see he’s no stranger to a pool table as he warms up....
...he wins the lag for his first match.....he cream-puffs the break....
...one of the spectators says “Straight pool player.”

That’s why I like reading Tevis...he’s been there

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member
Keith and Jimmy had small parts in the movie. Made it worth watching for me.
There were a few more big names in that movie. Mike Sigel, Steve Mizerak, Grady Matthews and Howard Vickery to name a few.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk Pro

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member
I loved the pool in the hustler,the atmosphere
I wish i had never seen it,it ruined my life

From that time on i was into pool hustling

I recently tried to watch the movie and didn't even like it
jackie Gleason was terrific in every way,George C Scott played a good partas did newman up until the
the part with the girl,her place and the story afterwards was goofy

Like one of Al Pacino screaming parts,yucky

The movie was not so great on TV
One of my favorite lines in the Hustler when Fats says to Fast Eddie "shoot pool Fast Eddie". Newman replies "I'm shooting Fats, when I'm done shooting, you can shoot". It's been my tagline for years on AZ.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree..I liked the book better....Walter understood a lot about pool playing.

I knew Walter quite well. And so did my mom, lol (I have an interesting story about the two of them in my second book). We spent several days together at the Dayton tournament in 1974. Walter was doing a piece for Sports Illustrated. He definitely knew his way around the poolroom, spending a good deal of his youth roaming the rooms in Louisville and skipping classes at college.

In case you didn't know he also wrote The Man Who Fell to Earth, another great novel. He was considered a world class writer. I think Walter was more influenced by watching Eddie Taylor play than anyone else. Taylor was always the well dressed gentleman that Minnesota Fats was portrayed to be in the movie. Too much of a gentleman to try to take advantage of the character and use that name as his nickname. No such problem for Rudolf Wanderone, aka New York Fats.

Walter enjoyed hanging around with the hustlers and listening to their banter. He preferred to be a fly on the wall and just observe from a distance. He always had a slightly bemused look on his face. Alcoholism was his downfall and brought about an early death.

He gave me the best advice I ever got as a writer. He said to me, "The hardest part of writing is putting the marks on paper!" :rolleyes:

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love to see that picture:thumbup:

OK, here he is. I'm telling you, the guy is a genius. I just sat there last night listening to people get so infuriated when he would beat them. I think he won $50 or $60 last night.

People played him all night based solely on the way he looked.

Attachments

• IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 431

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, here he is. I'm telling you, the guy is a genius. I just sat there last night listening to people get so infuriated when he would beat them. I think he won $50 or $60 last night.

Is it just me or do you have to stand on a ramp on that side of the table?

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
One of my favorite lines in the Hustler when Fats says to Fast Eddie "shoot pool Fast Eddie". Newman replies "I'm shooting Fats, when I'm done shooting, you can shoot". It's been my tagline for years on AZ.

Minnesota Fats: Shoot pool, Fast Eddie.
Eddie: I'm shootin' pool, Fats. When I miss, you can shoot.

One of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies

EmilAndersen

For comparison, Color of Money is 9-ball. The Hustler is 14.1. It’s not just the games played in those movies respectively (it is). It’s a metaphore for each movie’s pacing. The Hustler requires some patience at certain points but if you have it you get to appreciate subtle nuances and beauty unique to that style of storytelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Completely agree, every time I watch the hustler I find something new that I hadn't thought about before. Beautiful movie; one of my all time favorites.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

LMAO!!! His antics are a great hustle. People line up to play him and then have a hard time playing against him because he is such a flakey acting guy:grin:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I’ve seen worse.....

5163224E-EA1F-478E-8ED1-5EDF67FEE178.jpeg

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LMAO!!! His antics are a great hustle. People line up to play him and then have a hard time playing against him because he is such a flakey acting guy:grin:

Exactly! No one gets it in the room and I just look at this guy and say to myself..."this guy is awesome and he doesn't even know it"

The other night, that song from "Say Anything" came on the juke box "In your eyes" by Peter Gabriel. This dude lifts his stick in the air like John Cusack did with his boom box and closed his eyes and started swaying. Freaking brilliant!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly! No one gets it in the room and I just look at this guy and say to myself..."this guy is awesome and he doesn't even know it"

The other night, that song from "Say Anything" came on the juke box "In your eyes" by Peter Gabriel. This dude lifts his stick in the air like John Cusack did with his boom box and closed his eyes and started swaying. Freaking brilliant!

Hahaha!! Great movie!!