best cte videos on youtube?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it's physically impossible then why do I any many others do it every single day.

If you use manual pivots as objectively as possible (shooting the 15° perception shots that Dan proposed as an example), then it would be as precise as this drawing with ob numbers 2 thru 4. #3 is straight in and takes a 15 outside to send the ball to the pocket. #2 and #4 are left and right cuts that require a 15 inside to send the ball to the pocket.

Here the pocket is about 18 inches away, and if performed with precision objectivity, as shown, each ball goes toward the pocket but not dead center. If the pocket were around 36" away each shot (#2, 3, and 4) would hit center pocket. At about 54 inches from the pocket each ball would look just like this, with only #3 going center pocket and the cuts coming in left and right of that.

So there is absolutely some fune tuning that must occur in order to hit center pocket from varying distances. You may be hitting the pocket, but without making these fine adjustments the balls aren't always going center hole.
Stan says in one video, while shooting a 15 outside straight in, that he's making the same fine tuning as he'd do for any straight in shot to ensure his body is following his eyes. I believe this is what CTE users do on all shots -- ensure that the eyes lead and the body follows, not exactly doing a precise 1/2 tip pivot or sweep, but using that as a reference/starter point. The more you do it the better you get at it.

picture.php

In this drawing the bridge length is 10". A shorter bridge would cause the ob paths to narrow tighter toward the pocket at this distance. But at twice the distance the balls would miss the pocket. Using sweeps eliminates this varying pivot problem, though it takes longer to get the sweeps working accurately, for me anyway. I'm curious as to how Stan is going to illustrate the system in his book.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you use manual pivots as objectively as possible (shooting the 15° perception shots that Dan proposed as an example), then it would be as precise as this drawing with ob numbers 2 thru 4. #3 is straight in and takes a 15 outside to send the ball to the pocket. #2 and #4 are left and right cuts that require a 15 inside to send the ball to the pocket.

Here the pocket is about 18 inches away, and if performed with precision objectivity, as shown, each ball goes toward the pocket but not dead center. If the pocket were around 36" away each shot (#2, 3, and 4) would hit center pocket. At about 54 inches from the pocket each ball would look just like this, with only #3 going center pocket and the cuts coming in left and right of that.

So there is absolutely some fune tuning that must occur in order to hit center pocket from varying distances. You may be hitting the pocket, but without making these fine adjustments the balls aren't always going center hole.
Stan says in one video, while shooting a 15 outside straight in, that he's making the same fine tuning as he'd do for any straight in shot to ensure his body is following his eyes. I believe this is what CTE users do on all shots -- ensure that the eyes lead and the body follows, not exactly doing a precise 1/2 tip pivot or sweep, but using that as a reference/starter point. The more you do it the better you get at it.

picture.php

Please stop until you actually learn CTE and not what you assume is CTE.
Stan says he fine tunes to exact or fixed CENTER CUE BALL. You are misrepresenting his words AGAIN.
It's getting old when all you guys have is " i BELIEVE this is what's happening" Actually learn it so you know for sure.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Eyes lead, body follows. Stan explains very well in this video the fine-tuning by a "tic" here and there while down on the shot to ensure the body is lined up correctly. If you have little playing experience, however, then you won't be able to easily recognize when you're a "tic" off from aligning your body to what your eyes are seeing. You can objectively perform the CTE steps, but you may not recognize when you need to adjust your tip a tic left or right based on what you are seeing when you come down on the ball. This is where experience is needed, experience playing pool in general and experience with cte sweeps/pivots.

My advice to anyone wanting to learn CTE is to watch Stan's videos and listen to his words (not the preaching of the 20yr war, but actual instructions), or go see him personally, as a couple of my pool shooting buddies have done. And keep waiting on the book. Do not listen to CTE cheerleaders here. They have been learning the system for years, evolving with it, and many times they say things that contradict what Stan says, as if they've forgotten what it was like starting out with the system from a truly precise/objective approach, which eventually gets tweaked a tic here and there when you gain enough experience to recognize what needs tweaking.

https://youtu.be/6Dgsn2xaif0?t=160s

Last edited:

SmokinJoe46

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

picture.php

In this drawing the bridge length is 10". A shorter bridge would cause the ob paths to narrow tighter toward the pocket at this distance. But at twice the distance the balls would miss the pocket. Using sweeps eliminates this varying pivot problem, though it takes longer to get the sweeps working accurately, for me anyway. I'm curious as to how Stan is going to illustrate the system in his book.
The diagram draw is actually pretty good except it seems you are missing the CTE line (CBC to OBE) line in coordination with the A, B, C. My thinking is if the CB or OB is moved 3" THAT CTE line will change thus the shot-line will change in relation. At least it does with quarters on my table! LOL
No flames please, am I somewhat on track?

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
The diagram draw is actually pretty good except it seems you are missing the CTE line (CBC to OBE) line in coordination with the A, B, C. My thinking is if the CB or OB is moved 3" THAT CTE line will change thus the shot-line will change in relation. At least it does with quarters on my table! LOL
No flames please, am I somewhat on track?

I agree....no flames. For this drawing I stood behind the cb for the straight in shot, this exact setup, and got my visuals (ETA and CTE) as Stan demonstrates. Then I looked straight at the fixed cb from this perception and noted exactly where it would go if shot from there, which is also in accordance with Stan's instructions. The drawing shows the perception line leading through ccb to left of center on ob #3, which indicates the hit would be thin. From this line is where the half tip offset pivots originate. An outside pivot thickens the shot. For the other ob's the perception line is the same, right in the middle of the three lines leading from cb to ob. The lines on each side of the perception are the thick and thin pivot results.

The ETA and CTE lines are not shown because they are irrelevant from this point on. I mean, once you get the perception, the fixed cb perspective, those visuals are no longer used for the shot.

The only mystery I've found with this method is this: The visuals that are used to get that fixed cb perception are gathered from only two things - the cb and the ob, based on the distance between them. You can use the same visuals and get completely different fixed cb perceptions as long as the distance between cb and ob is different with each setup. If the distance between the balls remains the same, like in my drawing, then the fixed cb perception would be identical in each setup because the same criteria is being used (the exact same ETA and CTE visuals between two balls separated by the exact same distance).

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an idea, why don't all the anti-cte guys jump in one thread, and you can all laugh and talk shit about how dumb CTE is, or how it doesn't work, or how Stan's book is never coming out, lalalalala and just let people discuss CTE in peace.

It is basically impossible to go to any CTE thread in here and not find all reasons why it doesn't work, not like I am saying don't speak your mind on CTE, you guys have all stated your opinions dozens, if not hundreds of times across tons of threads.

Anyone even remotely interested in CTE will find the negatives that are posted in all the threads(you have all done your public service by warning everyone) so at this point, just let it go? It's not like the sham which is CTE can be swept under the rug at this point.

Last edited:

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an idea, why don't all the anti-cte guys jump in one thread, and you can all laugh and talk shit about how dumb CTE is, or how it doesn't work, or how Stan's book is never coming out, lalalalala and just let people discuss CTE in peace.

It is basically impossible to go to any CTE thread in here and not find all reasons why it doesn't work, not like I am saying don't speak your mind on CTE, you guys have all stated your opinions dozens, if not hundreds of times across tons of threads.

Anyone even remotely interested in CTE will find the negatives that are posted in all the threads(you have all done your public service by warning everyone) so at this point, just let it go? It's not like the sham which is CTE can be swept under the rug at this point.

If only.......

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian, I'm going to pm you. You seem to be taking a level headed approach...

If you are looking for CTE info, Brian is most definitely the wrong person. He gives out lots of bad interpretations of Stan's work. He should actually be ashamed of himself.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eyes lead, body follows. Stan explains very well in this video the fine-tuning by a "tic" here and there while down on the shot to ensure the body is lined up correctly. If you have little playing experience, however, then you won't be able to easily recognize when you're a "tic" off from aligning your body to what your eyes are seeing. You can objectively perform the CTE steps, but you may not recognize when you need to adjust your tip a tic left or right based on what you are seeing when you come down on the ball. This is where experience is needed, experience playing pool in general and experience with cte sweeps/pivots.

My advice to anyone wanting to learn CTE is to watch Stan's videos and listen to his words (not the preaching of the 20yr war, but actual instructions), or go see him personally, as a couple of my pool shooting buddies have done. And keep waiting on the book. Do not listen to CTE cheerleaders here. They have been learning the system for years, evolving with it, and many times they say things that contradict what Stan says, as if they've forgotten what it was like starting out with the system from a truly precise/objective approach, which eventually gets tweaked a tic here and there when you gain enough experience to recognize what needs tweaking.

https://youtu.be/6Dgsn2xaif0?t=160s

I agree....no flames. For this drawing I stood behind the cb for the straight in shot, this exact setup, and got my visuals (ETA and CTE) as Stan demonstrates. Then I looked straight at the fixed cb from this perception and noted exactly where it would go if shot from there, which is also in accordance with Stan's instructions. The drawing shows the perception line leading through ccb to left of center on ob #3, which indicates the hit would be thin. From this line is where the half tip offset pivots originate. An outside pivot thickens the shot. For the other ob's the perception line is the same, right in the middle of the three lines leading from cb to ob. The lines on each side of the perception are the thick and thin pivot results.

The ETA and CTE lines are not shown because they are irrelevant from this point on. I mean, once you get the perception, the fixed cb perspective, those visuals are no longer used for the shot.

The only mystery I've found with this method is this: The visuals that are used to get that fixed cb perception are gathered from only two things - the cb and the ob, based on the distance between them. You can use the same visuals and get completely different fixed cb perceptions as long as the distance between cb and ob is different with each setup. If the distance between the balls remains the same, like in my drawing, then the fixed cb perception would be identical in each setup because the same criteria is being used (the exact same ETA and CTE visuals between two balls separated by the exact same distance).

You tell people to only listen to Stan then post mis interpretations of his work. Take your own advice, stop posting about CTE until you actually learn it.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
If you are looking for CTE info, Brian is most definitely the wrong person. He gives out lots of bad interpretations of Stan's work. He should actually be ashamed of himself.

Funny thing though, my "bad interpretations", as you put it, almost always include one or more of Stan's videos so that others can hear what he says and watch what he does. This allows those interested in CTE to form their own opinions or insights straight from Stan, not me, and definitely not from any cheerleaders here that seem to have forgotten (or choose to ignore) how long they had to work with the system before it became something magical that allows them to shoot every ball into the center of the pocket. :rolleyes:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
You tell people to only listen to Stan then post mis interpretations of his work. Take your own advice, stop posting about CTE until you actually learn it.

Please give an example of a misinterpretation. I supply links. The players that come here looking for help aren't so mindless that they can't watch a video and interpret it for themselves. The info has been available for many years now. And still the average player can't make it work with the precision that guys like you can. The reason, whether you admit it or even realize it, is because they haven't spent the last few years working with it in order to make it work as well you guys say it works. A little more reality discussion and less phenomenon talk could actually be beneficial for those wanting to learn the system.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here that seem to have forgotten (or choose to ignore) how long they had to work with the system before it became something magical that allows them to shoot every ball into the center of the pocket. :rolleyes:

A 5 minute phone call to Hal Houle is all it took me

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BC21;6390695. A little more reality discussion and less phenomenon talk could actually be beneficial for those wanting to learn the system.[/QUOTE said:
Reality discussion on here can't take place for two reasons.
Your side has never attempted to learn CTE and so only put out theories and not reality.
And your side has chased off with derogatory comments instructors pros and others that would aid in that discussion.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Reality discussion on here can't take place for two reasons.
Your side has never attempted to learn CTE and so only put out theories and not reality.
And your side has chased off with derogatory comments instructors pros and others that would aid in that discussion.

I am not on any particular "side". That's the problem that never seems to go away -- anyone that questions CTE, or learns how to do it only to discover that it requires more than just perceptions and half tip pivots as explained by Stan in his videos, is considered "against" CTE and Stan and you and others that use the system. I've never cared much for the "you're either with us or against us" attitude. And the most derogatory comments I've seen here since joining back in 2017 have come from the likes of those who've been "chased off", like Dave (Spider) and Stan himself, mainly because of the 20yr war that has nothing to do with me and many others here that weren't part of all that mess back then. Anyhow, I believe Mohrt was the only one I found to be civil in CTE discussions.

None of this matters. The simple truth is that I know how it works and how it doesn't work, and you don't like me telling others that the best way to learn for themselves is to just watch and listen to Stan's YouTube videos. There are 3 or 4 vids that show exactly what he is doing, and anyone that follows those instructions objectively will learn what I've learned.

BobN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really think The Truth Series and The Book will clear everything up. Just have to be patient till they are released.
Yes, the Truth Series and the Book will make things MUCH more clear and understandable.

I'm not on here to argue with anyone... CTE Pro One is my preferred method. If someone prefers something else, more power to them, but I play a decent game using Pro One. I have a few players in my pool room that use it, and they play well with it.

I sound like I'm "Selling" Pro One, but really, I'm not. Someone wants to learn it, there are endorsed instructors out there that will teach it (yes I'm one of them, but my Air Force retirement check is a LOT more than what I'd ever make teaching Pro One! :smile: ). Right now, I've suspended teaching CTE Pro One until the books release, because the book contains some of what I consider NECESSARY information.k Like Cookie Man said, the Truth Series and Book will reveal a LOT.

By the way, I keep hearing that it takes MONTHS to learn Pro One. Not true. I can teach CTE Pro One in one day, to a point that a player will be using it to make easy to tough cuts and banks... now it may take "months" to make it "automatic", but it would take months to make ANY method automatic.

Straight shooting!

Bob