i lightened up on my stroke by 30%, and im playing better

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am basically hitting like a girl now, down 30 % on my stoke on most shots, unless i really have to move the cue ball up and down. but i am really liking the feel and the sound of a reduced stroke. i play only on bar tables, so i never really have to move the cue ball much more than half the table.

started hitting like this two days ago, and my accuracy has really improved. i saw a older match in some touramanent on this site, and the older guy was barely hitting the cue ball, but he was making his shots and getting perfect position everytime. he ended up winning the match.

its working for me. :embarrassed2:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
i am basically hitting like a girl now, down 30 % on my stoke on most shots, unless i really have to move the cue ball up and down. but i am really liking the feel and the sound of a reduced stroke. i play only on bar tables, so i never really have to move the cue ball much more than half the table.

started hitting like this two days ago, and my accuracy has really improved. i saw a older match in some touramanent on this site, and the older guy was barely hitting the cue ball, but he was making his shots and getting perfect position everytime. he ended up winning the match.

You don't have to feel shame over an improvement. Many amateurs grip and hit too hard, so that their percentage goes up as their force comes down.

You are hitting less hard. Are you gripping more gently also?

Last edited:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
You lost me at "hitting like a girl." Would you like to reword that?

Scientifically, women produce 2/3 the amount of total strength and applied force that men produce. No need to re-word anything when the statement is accurate. Now if you're offended, then I suggest you seek physiological help from a professional.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
You will improve much more by holding the cue lighter also. Focus on a straight-slow backswing and a straight accelerating foreswing. Not zero to 60 but zero to 30 to 60.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scientifically, women produce 2/3 the amount of total strength and applied force that men produce. No need to re-word anything when the statement is accurate. Now if you're offended, then I suggest you seek physiological help from a professional.

No, actually YOU need to seek professional help. This isn't tennis or baseball. It's pool, so quit stereotyping and just work on your game.

Leigh

Registered
Fran, I always appreciate your point of view and I wished I lived in NY to take lessons from you.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
judochoke...While you may not think your making a mistake talking that way, you are. That is sexist. Men and women are on equal terms when it comes to pool. Weight of the cue and timing are the key factors...NOT how big and strong you are. Talk like a man, or get lost from this forum. I told you many months ago you were gripping the cue too tightly and shooting too hard.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran, I always appreciate your point of view and I wished I lived in NY to take lessons from you.

Hey thanks. I had planned to do some traveling this year but due to the virus, it looks like it will have to be postponed for a bit. I'll let you know if I head to your area.

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
take it easy boys, i was only trying to be funny. are we supposed to have some fun here and learn also??? yes i had problems with a death grip, chipped a lot of tiles in my pool room because of a death grip on my draw shots at the end of my stroke. launched a lot of cue balls because of a tight grip. my grip is now nice and loose, and its the final thought that i have before shooting the cue ball, relax the grip.

its amazing to me how much a tight grip effects the path of the cue ball.

jason

Silver Member
judochoke...While you may not think your making a mistake talking that way, you are. That is sexist. Men and women are on equal terms when it comes to pool. Weight of the cue and timing are the key factors...NOT how big and strong you are. Talk like a man, or get lost from this forum. I told you many months ago you were gripping the cue too tightly and shooting too hard.

Scott Lee

Mr. Lee, if you believe that "hit like a girl" is sexist, then surely you would agree "talk like a man" is sexist as well. So please quit bullying the OP by telling him to leave the forum. I would not like to call you a hypocrite, so I think you owe the OP an apology by your own terms.

It is not a derogatory term to anyone unless they choose to make it so. It is a phrase used to describe something by comparison. We all know in general terms men are stronger than women. Men are taller than women. Men are faster than women. Men are hairier than women. Men are more violent than women.

The words of "political correctness" have damaged this society so much so that everyone walks on egg shells. Last time I checked, speech was still free, even if you don't agree with it. Some people need to grow a backbone or maybe some would rather use the phase grow a pair.

jason

Silver Member
No, actually YOU need to seek professional help. This isn't tennis or baseball. It's pool, so quit stereotyping and just work on your game.

You are correct, pool isn't tennis or baseball. So you are infering it is acceptable to use the term when describing those sports. Well that would be hypocritical.

We don't need to criticize everyone, on every detail, on every second of the day.
Quit drinking the cool-aid.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I told you many months ago you were gripping the cue too tightly.

Scott Lee

Hi Scott

Can you describe what's too light of a grip?
I'm working on finding a sweet spot but right now I'm playing better with nearly zero grip pressure.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
...... This isn't tennis or baseball. It's pool, so quit stereotyping and just work on your game.

Or football or powerlifting... excellent point, Fran. Having raised two daughters, I've never liked hearing that old saying, that someone did this or that "like a girl", especially in an activity or sport where the physical differences between men and women are insignificant. What is more prevalent is the amount of time men have been involved in such activities when compared to how long women have been involved.

jason

Silver Member

I will not continue to derail this thread and I will interpret the question with the best intentions of the OP.

Yes, I agree less speed is better than a hard hit on a lot of shots. Since you play primarily on bar tables, slower shooting is not always possible or optimal. Optimal being the key word. The less you move the cue ball, usually the better position and control. A firm stroke on a bar table can take out the table roll on bad equipment. Better equipment and cloth makes this easier. There are always exceptions to the rule for different reasons, but the general rule is always about control and accuracy.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I think if you visualize it being a "cradle" instead of a grip, you will be more able to have the right feel for what is correct.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not an instructor
it seems that any grip comfortable outside of a "death grip"
is a good one
personally, I like a light grip.."like holding a baby bird," I was once told