Making a cue to Snooker or UK Pool spec

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm UK based and used to have many US cues, however as my local club removed the US tables I transitioned to UK pool a few years ago. I have a nice collection of snooker / UK pool spec cues, but I very much miss the design of the US cues.

Does anyone know a cuemaker that would be happy to construct a cue to UK pool specification? The main difference is the tip size I use is 8.75mm and the taper is different, meaning that the cue is narrower at the centre joing point. They are also lighter at 17 to 18oz.

I had a PFD cue that I had a matched shaft made with 9mm tip but it just didn't play right being on my US cue butt.

To make a cue that would play well it would need specifically making to snooker cue dimensions and taper.

If anyone knows of a maker that could make such a cue, and be happy to do so I'd be very grateful for the recommendation.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm UK based and used to have many US cues, however as my local club removed the US tables I transitioned to UK pool a few years ago. I have a nice collection of snooker / UK pool spec cues, but I very much miss the design of the US cues.

Does anyone know a cuemaker that would be happy to construct a cue to UK pool specification? The main difference is the tip size I use is 8.75mm and the taper is different, meaning that the cue is narrower at the centre joing point. They are also lighter at 17 to 18oz.

I had a PFD cue that I had a matched shaft made with 9mm tip but it just didn't play right being on my US cue butt.

To make a cue that would play well it would need specifically making to snooker cue dimensions and taper.

If anyone knows of a maker that could make such a cue, and be happy to do so I'd be very grateful for the recommendation.

I think this is what you're looking for (and you'd be in good company :)

https://stuartbingham.com/2017/07/cue/

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the comment. Looking at them, they seem to make both snooker and US pool cues, but you have to choose one or the other. Essentially I want a US pool cue but made to snooker specifications.

crazy8legs

Registered
If I'm understanding you correctly you want to get a snooker cue that LOOKS like an American pool cue.

I thought there used to be a cuemaker forum on here but I don't see it. I would jump on FB and find a cuemaker group and post your question there. I'm sure there would be someone who would like that challenge/want to try something different.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would that be the same as a snooker cue made to US pool cue specifications?

pj
chgo

No, that already exists. Quite a few snooker cueakers such as Parris already make cues to US cue specs. This started when snooker players such as Steve Davis and Jimmy white turned to 9 ball pool.

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I'm understanding you correctly you want to get a snooker cue that LOOKS like an American pool cue.

I thought there used to be a cuemaker forum on here but I don't see it. I would jump on FB and find a cuemaker group and post your question there. I'm sure there would be someone who would like that challenge/want to try something different.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yes that's exactly what I'm looking to achieve. I'll have a look on Facebook for some cuemaker forums.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I collect cues. Have a couple dozen Snooker cues and a dozen pool cues.

Played for just over 50 years. I can’t tell most of them apart until I look at the tip,

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the comment. Looking at them, they seem to make both snooker and US pool cues, but you have to choose one or the other. Essentially I want a US pool cue but made to snooker specifications.

Stuart Bingham (as in the ex-World Champ) has exactly what you are looking for, have another look:

https://twitter.com/Stuart__Bingham/status/877999350521241600/photo/1

https://www.cuecreator.com/frequently-asked-questions-2/

He has a snooker cue, but with an 'American Pool' style design, just going from his posts, these guys should be able to do it for you (no idea if they are crazily expensive or not admittedly)!

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stuart Bingham (as in the ex-World Champ) has exactly what you are looking for, have another look:

https://twitter.com/Stuart__Bingham/status/877999350521241600/photo/1

https://www.cuecreator.com/frequently-asked-questions-2/

He has a snooker cue, but with an 'American Pool' style design, just going from his posts, these guys should be able to do it for you (no idea if they are crazily expensive or not admittedly)!

Thanks for the input. Stuart Bingham's cue is actually still a snooker cue. Same construction as a standard cue, i.e. ebony splices into an ash shaft. However it has inlays similar to the style of a US cue.

I'm looking for a cue to be constructed like a US cue but just with snooker cue dimensions.

I'm in discussion with Paul Drexler who I got most of my US cues from and he may well be able to do it. Just means programming and setting up to do a 29mm butt and straight taper to 8.75mm tip.

Cheers

ArizonaBill

Registered
Thanks for the input. Stuart Bingham's cue is actually still a snooker cue. Same construction as a standard cue, i.e. ebony splices into an ash shaft. However it has inlays similar to the style of a US cue.

I'm looking for a cue to be constructed like a US cue but just with snooker cue dimensions.

I'm in discussion with Paul Drexler who I got most of my US cues from and he may well be able to do it. Just means programming and setting up to do a 29mm butt and straight taper to 8.75mm tip.

Cheers
Could you elaborate as to exactly what type of construction you are seeking?
I am guessing you want a slimmer butt than an American pool cue. Do you want the join in the middle or 3/4 down the cue? Quick release joint? Do you want a brass ferrule or something else? Do you want a laminated shaft like a Predator cue ? Should the shaft be maple, ash, or carbon fiber? Laminated tip, like a Moori, or one layer only, like an elk master? Are you looking for a ''high performance" butt that is as slim as a snooker cue? Do you want something more decorative than a snooker cue?

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cheers

Drexler if you want what you see in your mind.

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could you elaborate as to exactly what type of construction you are seeking?
I am guessing you want a slimmer butt than an American pool cue. Do you want the join in the middle or 3/4 down the cue? Quick release joint? Do you want a brass ferrule or something else? Do you want a laminated shaft like a Predator cue ? Should the shaft be maple, ash, or carbon fiber? Laminated tip, like a Moori, or one layer only, like an elk master? Are you looking for a ''high performance" butt that is as slim as a snooker cue? Do you want something more decorative than a snooker cue?

Picture a classic Tascarella cue with a leather wrap. That's what I want. Centre joint, forearm with 4 points with flame veneers. Leather wrap then buttsleeve, maybe with a hoppe ring.

White ferrule (short like a predator ferrule). Maple shaft, not fussed if it's solid maple or laminated as the taper needs to be a straight taper from the butt, so kind of removes the benefit of a predator shaft. Moori tip.

Just picture a standard US pool cue, Tascarella like. Only difference is that the butt needs to be 29 or 30mm diameter and then a straight taper down to the 8.75mm tip. That means the joing will be thinner.

I hope that makes sense. I want a cue to be designed and constructed exactly like a US cue, I just want it to be thinner and tapered like a snooker cue.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Picture a classic Tascarella cue with a leather wrap. That's what I want. Centre joint, forearm with 4 points with flame veneers. Leather wrap then buttsleeve, maybe with a hoppe ring.

White ferrule (short like a predator ferrule). Maple shaft, not fussed if it's solid maple or laminated as the taper needs to be a straight taper from the butt, so kind of removes the benefit of a predator shaft. Moori tip.

Just picture a standard US pool cue, Tascarella like. Only difference is that the butt needs to be 29 or 30mm diameter and then a straight taper down to the 8.75mm tip. That means the joing will be thinner.

I hope that makes sense. I want a cue to be designed and constructed exactly like a US cue, I just want it to be thinner and tapered like a snooker cue.

This guy comes highly recommended too (apparently, a few of the guys on the IPA tour use his cues and some of those who've given Chinese 8-Ball a go), he might be able to help (given what you're looking for is close, albeit not quite the same as a 'Chinese 8-Ball cue'):

https://www.jasonowencues.com/chinese-8-ball-cue.html

I can't think of anyone else, but it may be worth posting on the snooker forum (not sure if I can post a link to a rival forum here), there are some knowledgeable people there that may be able to help.

UK-Collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This guy comes highly recommended too (apparently, a few of the guys on the IPA tour use his cues and some of those who've given Chinese 8-Ball a go), he might be able to help (given what you're looking for is close, albeit not quite the same as a 'Chinese 8-Ball cue'):

https://www.jasonowencues.com/chinese-8-ball-cue.html

I can't think of anyone else, but it may be worth posting on the snooker forum (not sure if I can post a link to a rival forum here), there are some knowledgeable people there that may be able to help.

Thanks but that's not what I'm after at all. I know Jason Owen, he just makes snooker cues and Chinese 8 ball cues.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you seem to have cues? why not buy a snooker shaft for one of them? pretty sure i've seen a few on ebay and the like