Getting a pool table, but live in an apt building with a small elevator

NYCnoob99

Registered
Was thinking of getting a Gold Crown. Does the main frame come apart? I do not think the elevator is 9 feet tall. What are my options if I want a 9 footer? Thank you.

Edit: If not too heavy, I guess the main frame (200 lbs?) could go up 10 flights of stairs but that seems extreme.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure wouldn't want to be on the 9th floor.

Somebody posted the actual pounds per square inch values of a gold crown before and it was of virtually no concern with current building standards.

I believe a gold crown was equivalent to 3 or 4 adults in a room with furniture.

And to the OP- who is going to do the table work? He will be the one who actually has usable input on the matter.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Somebody posted the actual pounds per square inch values of a gold crown before and it was of virtually no concern with current building standards.

I believe a gold crown was equivalent to 3 or 4 adults in a room with furniture.

And to the OP- who is going to do the table work? He will be the one who actually has usable input on the matter.

Was thinking about the sound possibly being an issue directly below.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not think the elevator is 9 feet tall.

The building does not have a (separate) freight elevator for the service areas?

Even if it does not, the top comes out or at least a hatch is accessible in most elevators esp. in the (rare) cases a freight elevator does not exist.

In construction, i often moved long stuff in buildings in NYC & DC.
Only once had to resort (late at night) to pulling the long moldings up (merely) 3 stories, by rope.

If the building has a super, ask him.
If not, just be circumspect.
Don't get anything caught in the cables. :D

smt

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a table mechanic, but I have a GC4 in my apartment and its right next to me.

The longest piece that can't be further broken down are the skirts at the side of the long rails. I just measured, and they are about 111" long x 9" wide x 3/4" thick. If your elevator was not tall enough, they may very well fit on the diagonal.

If still too big, there are only two of those pieces, and they each probably weigh about 5-10 lbs. So if you really did have to carry them up the stairs, should not be too bad.

The next longest piece is the long frame members. They are 84" long. They should fit inside any elevator, I would imagine. You wouldn't want to carry them up the stairs, as they are large timbers.

As far as a pool table in apartment life, I would personally keep your mouth shut, don't tell management anything. Get a drop pocket table (they are quieter). Put a sock inside the bottom of each pocket (quiets it further). When you play, soft break 9 ball. Or play a lot of straight pool. Try to play during the daytime hours if you can, when most people are working. (well, before corona anyway). Play some music while you play. If you do all that, the neighbors may not catch on that you have a table. The goal is to not have them complain to management about any loud noises, and then management might give you a fit.

I did all of the above to keep the noise down, and in 8 years of a table inside my apartment, I never had any issues with neighbors or management.

YMMV:)

NYCnoob99

Registered
I'm not a table mechanic, but I have a GC4 in my apartment and its right next to me.

The longest piece that can't be further broken down are the skirts at the side of the long rails. I just measured, and they are about 111" long x 9" wide x 3/4" thick. If your elevator was not tall enough, they may very well fit on the diagonal.

If still too big, there are only two of those pieces, and they each probably weigh about 5-10 lbs. So if you really did have to carry them up the stairs, should not be too bad.

The next longest piece is the long frame members. They are 84" long. They should fit inside any elevator, I would imagine. You wouldn't want to carry them up the stairs, as they are large timbers.

As far as a pool table in apartment life, I would personally keep your mouth shut, don't tell management anything. Get a drop pocket table (they are quieter). Put a sock inside the bottom of each pocket (quiets it further). When you play, soft break 9 ball. Or play a lot of straight pool. Try to play during the daytime hours if you can, when most people are working. (well, before corona anyway). Play some music while you play. If you do all that, the neighbors may not catch on that you have a table. The goal is to not have them complain to management about any loud noises, and then management might give you a fit.

I did all of the above to keep the noise down, and in 8 years of a table inside my apartment, I never had any issues with neighbors or management.

YMMV:)

It's on the second floor of a duplex, no one above me. No one below me. However may have people to the side.

I really wanted to practice my breaking but I take your point. No doorman so definitely plan on not notifying management about the table.

Wanted to get a diamond or gc but neither have drop pockets. What are good solid tables to get that have drop pockets?

Also great to hear that the main frame comes apart and that the longest components are light. Just wanted to avoid stairs with 200 pound parts.

Thanks again for your super helpful response.

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
Some elevators have a removeable panel in the top.
Many years ago I moved patio doors and side lites out to have more floor space and a smaller balcony. I also replaced them with double pane glass. I put the existing glass on a drop cloth and a light tap on the corner shattered them and put them in the garbage can.
When the new glass was ready it wouldn't fit in the elevator or make the turn in the stairs. they almost covered a 4X8 foot of 3/4 plywood and I attached them and hoisted them 8 floors.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should make sure with the building super that you can have a table above ground floor, some places it is not allowed.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you guys fit pool tables in your apartment? I might key word might be able to fit a 6 footer in my apartment. As a side note no one would care about pool table noise as long as it was between the hours of 7 am and 10 pm.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's on the second floor of a duplex, no one above me. No one below me. However may have people to the side.

I really wanted to practice my breaking but I take your point. No doorman so definitely plan on not notifying management about the table.

Wanted to get a diamond or gc but neither have drop pockets. What are good solid tables to get that have drop pockets?

Also great to hear that the main frame comes apart and that the longest components are light. Just wanted to avoid stairs with 200 pound parts.

Thanks again for your super helpful response.

Friendly advice. If your serious about pool you’ll be disappointed with anything but a Diamond or GC.
Every time I travel and get to a room with Gandy, Olhausen, or whatever, I’ll only work on my stroke for an hour or just leave.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
How do you guys fit pool tables in your apartment? I might key word might be able to fit a 6 footer in my apartment. As a side note no one would care about pool table noise as long as it was between the hours of 7 am and 10 pm.

Jack up over the nook.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How do you guys fit pool tables in your apartment? ...
The last apartment I had could have had a snooker table. If you pay more or live in a cheap area you can fit a pool table.

But you said you live in South Dakota. Are rents really that expensive there? Try to find a place with a garage.