paul mottey for sale

ridendirty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i have a paul mottey that i got in a trade. it is ebony on ebony with red veneers and a irish linnen wrap. 2 shafts that have ivory ferruls. it has alluinum joint protectors and the joint is 5/16 14 flat faced. the cue is refinished and the shafts are new one shaft has just been test hit. i was told the finish and shafts were done by dan trogden. i know i forgot some stuff so any questions just email me here or at ridendirty@hotmail.com
i am looking for TRADED or best offer.
more info the cue
weight is 21.3 with either shaft
the butt is 17.6
both shafts are 3.7
the shaft diameters are 12.97 and 13.02 both have ivory ferruls
the cue is not signed or marked. the person i got it from here on az said he showed to paul and he said he built it and if he wanted it signed he would do so but i would cost to refinish.
i will post new pics tonight and i will take it to the pool hall and make sure it rolls straight

this is paragraph below is from the person that i got the cue from to help answer some questions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This cue was made in 1986 for dealer Darrel Bumgardner in Huntington WV. Paul made at least Six flat faced cue for him. I have owned Three. One was owned by Marc Masden of The Louisville Billiard Club.
The cue pictured was sold to a wrestling coach in South Point OH named Tex Rickard. His phone number can be had if you PM me. I showed the cue to Paul in Las Vegas at the Riviera and he verified it. Also,Master dealer, Tim Cole with his show partner Trey(Louisville KY), examed it at the Derby City Classic last year along with a 4 veneer Motey 2 shafts and said " The flat faced Mottey was rarer and offered to trade it against a Wrapless Bluegrass cue. Tim is very knowledgable and has a great eye for value. Thanks to Tim for all of the info he has given me over the years I've known him.
Dan Trogdan is an amazing cuemaker and shaftmaker with some shafts hanging 15+ years. He brought the cue back to "like new condition". Nothing was changed on the cue's butt.
It is truely a one of a kind Mottey for collectors. Please contact me with any Questions...
Jay Nelson
Owner Classic Billiards
1036 Washington Ave
Huntington WV

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,953
  • IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,967
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,952
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,953
  • IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_0522.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,944
Last edited:

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 99.6%
228   1   0
Ok... here is some needed info...

1. YOU NEED BETTER PICTURES!!!! :thumbup:
2. Need a picture of the butt sleeve
3. Is the cue signed or marked by Paul Mottey?
4. what are the weights of the butt, and each shaft
5. What are the diameters of the shafts
6. What is the ferrule material of the shafts
7. Is the cue straight together and apart
8. Could you please show pics of the joint and shaft collars without the joint protectors on

Thanks!

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I have seen a Mottey or two in the past with this joint configuration....

As one of the biggest dealers in Mottey's, I would say if someone showed me a cue like this, I would have to think that the collars were cut down, or the shafts were not his. Just from the 400 or so Motteys we've had. I am not saying it's impossible, just improbable.

Sorry, it says right in the description they are not his shafts...

JV

Last edited:

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 99.6%
228   1   0
As one of the biggest dealers in Mottey's, I would say if someone showed me a cue like this, I would have to think that the collars were cut down, or the shafts were not his. Just from the 400 or so Motteys we've had. I am not saying it's impossible, just improbable.

JV

Pulling rank huh Joe? So do you think this is not a Mottey cue, or that the shafts are not Mottey?

I'm sure what you mean "by the collars were cut down"... because the joint on the butt was clearly built to be a flat faced cue.

classiccues

Silver Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Pulling rank huh Joe? So do you think this is not a Mottey cue, or that the shafts are not Mottey?

I'm sure what you mean "by the collars were cut down"... because the joint on the butt was clearly built to be a flat faced cue.

I disagree, unless the photo is off. I believe if this is as Paul built this cue, he would have bought the collar down to the forearm wood not leaving a pilot. (a true flat face) I believe he would have also made it a 3/8 pin. So if he had left the pilot, he would have made nubs on the shaft. That is my experience with Pauls cues. That being said I have never seen a Mottey that was intentionally flat faced with a full collar like this one. So again, if this is the case, the joint might not be original.

JV (---sees a piloted butt, maybe my bifocals need to be stronger :)

shamadam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
283   0   0
Guys, in the original post, the seller states that the cue was
refinished by Dan Trogdon, where Dan made 2 new shafts for
the cue. Also, to me, it does look like there is a pilot c'bore in
the butt to receive the pilot on the shaft, but what do I know?
To me, the main question is, can the seller prove, that this is
a Mottey butt?

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 99.6%
228   1   0
I disagree, unless the photo is off. I believe if this is as Paul built this cue, he would have bought the collar down to the forearm wood not leaving a pilot. (a true flat face) I believe he would have also made it a 3/8 pin. So if he had left the pilot, he would have made nubs on the shaft. That is my experience with Pauls cues. That being said I have never seen a Mottey that was intentionally flat faced with a full collar like this one. So again, if this is the case, the joint might not be original.

JV (---sees a piloted butt, maybe my bifocals need to be stronger :)

Joe,

Maybe you did not see the pics the OP put up yesterday. Although the new pics that replace the original pics are much better... the original pic of the joint showed no pilot IMO.

classiccues

Silver Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Joe,

Maybe you did not see the pics the OP put up yesterday. Although the new pics that replace the original pics are much better... the original pic of the joint showed no pilot IMO.

Thats cool, no disrespect intended. Just going by what I see, and didn't see yesterdays pics.

JV

shamadam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
283   0   0
I'm also curious why Mr. Trogdon would have made flat faced shafts for a
piloted butt?:scratchhead:

c and c

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
145   0   0

JV

I agree they I dont think Mottey would make a piloted joint with flat faced shafts. Makes 0 sense. I must've read it wrong after re reading the description. I'm sure Dan made these shafts.

Last edited: