Micarta ferrules

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is some lore regarding the hit of a Micarta ferrule and I've been trying to find out when these ferrules came about as well as who was using them in cue construction. Also from those who have vintage and new Micarta ferrules how would you compare the two, as well as to the hit to that of ivory?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old Micarta ferrules were pretty popular back in the 70's & 80's. It was made by Westinghouse and I had my choice of ferrules when Bob Runde
made my cue in 1985. He recommended going with Micarta which I did. The Micarta ferrules come really close to the feel of ivory and I don't know if
the contemporary paper-based Micarta material plays like the original Westinghouse stuff my cue's ferrules.

Last edited:

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old Micarta ferrules were pretty popular back in the 70's & 80's. It was made by Westinghouse and I had my choice of ferrules when Bob Runde
made my cue in 1985. He recommended going with Micarta which I did. The Micarta ferrules come really close to the feel of ivory and I don't know if
the contemporary paper-based Micarta material plays like the original Westinghouse stuff my cue's ferrules.

Thank you bavafongoul, definately helpful! From what I can find, Runde era Schons often had micarta ferrules(Westinghouse) and everyone seems to have the same feeling on the paper based micarta. I've also noticed that some of the Westinghouse micarta used in more recent cues has grain lines, whereas the older micarta is solid yellow with no lines. Anyone know when micarta was originally introduced into cues?

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
ferrule

Thank you bavafongoul, definately helpful! From what I can find, Runde era Schons often had micarta ferrules(Westinghouse) and everyone seems to have the same feeling on the paper based micarta. I've also noticed that some of the Westinghouse micarta used in more recent cues has grain lines, whereas the older micarta is solid yellow with no lines. Anyone know when micarta was originally introduced into cues?

I think they stopped making this micarta in 59

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the old yellow mircarta ferrules. They play slightly softer than ivory and feel very lively. Mine has stayed very clean like ivory, not showing chalk stains.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the look of the ferrules on my '85 Schon that Bob Runde made for me. There's just a tint
of yellowing, almost like with old pool balls, and the shade looks really cool. I mean it should right?
My cue is almost 30 years old and I don't want it to look like a new cue......that's part of my cue's appeal.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
I like the old yellow mircarta ferrules. They play slightly softer than ivory and feel very lively. Mine has stayed very clean like ivory, not showing chalk stains.

Well said.
I prefer the play of yellow Micarta to ivory. Also, some joints were made with that material. I own a Bob Weir box cue that has a micarta joint and 2 micarta ferruled shafts. Plays out of this world!

Dave Kersenbrock was the first maker I am aware of who used yellow Micarta, though I would be very interested to know when it was first applied to cuemaking.

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you head over to the 'Wanted/For Sale' forum you can buy a micarta ferrule and give it a shot

Saw the threads for Westinghouse micarta but it is not the original asbestos based material which I believe is much more consistently yellow and delivers a more favorable hit

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
micarta

Now that is what I'm talking about! So if that micarta was no longer made in 59' who was using it prior to that?

I am not a expert ........... Westinghouse made the yellow micarta for electrical insulator's.
They contain asbestos and Westinghouse stopped using asbestos in 59 if I remember correctly.

I don't know when they cue makers started using yellow micarta.
the shaft in the picture was made in the 70s.

Cue man billiards has the old yellow micarta in stock. < that's the best info I can give .

Post this in ask the cue maker.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a expert ........... Westinghouse made the yellow micarta for electrical insulator's.
They contain asbestos and Westinghouse stopped using asbestos in 59 if I remember correctly.

I don't know when they cue makers started using yellow micarta.
the shaft in the picture was made in the 70s.

Cue man billiards has the old yellow micarta in stock. < that's the best info I can give .

Post this in ask the cue maker.

Cueman Micarta is not the "old" Micarta - looks to be Mason Micarta -
definitely not the Micarta Schon used.

Westinghouse stopped making the Micarta Schon used in 1976.
It did not contain Asbestos.
It had no 'lines' because it was not lamminated.
It was a different resin than the other Micartas.
It never was made in rod form.

HTH
Dale

Last edited:

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do a search for Micarta in the "Ask the Cuemaker" forum. I remember seeing and reading a long discussion on this topic. Interesting to say the least.

I have an old R10 Schon with the micarta ferrules and a new Tascarella with ivory ferrules. The micarta ferruled shafts have a warmer hit, if you will. The ivory has a much more crisp hit. Both feel great, both do what they were intended to do, it is mostly just a different feel.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=275092&highlight=micarta

Last edited:

kntbeach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not care so much about the hit compared to ivory but the Micarta just looks so old school I love it.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing a lot of us like about the Micarta is the color. Not because some think its old school, but it helps with the aiming process. White ferrules tend to blend into the cue ball. That old yellow gives a better aiming point. The feel is also a plus.

I have a few Schon shafts with Micarta on them that are either 13 mm or close to it and their hit is unique.

mel_smOg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its definatelly gives softer hit than ivory and less deflection. I like it way more than ivory if I am playing with regular shaft

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Micarta

Bob also took sheets of the old micarta and laminated them together. Then he turned them down to desired size and used them as joints. they hit between implex and ivory. yes they hold up have one thats 20+yrs .

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cueman Micarta is not the "old" Micarta - looks to be Mason Micarta -
definitely not the Micarta Schon used.

Westinghouse stopped making the Micarta Schon used in 1976.
It did not contain Asbestos.
It had no 'lines' because it was not lamminated.
It was a different resin than the other Micartas.
It never was made in rod form.

HTH
Dale

Dale is right that the micarta I have is not the old stuff from the 70's. It is the new stuff Mason popularized. I am surprised Westinghouse still had some old Micarta left several years after they quit making it when Schon started making cues. We learn something new everyday.

Last edited:

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my micarta ferrule

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 428

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member