black boar shaft tips - photo inside

james chong

Banned
i'd like to know more about these black boar shaft tips.
are they readily available? what's the composition? are these an openmarket brand or black boar exclusive?

Attachments

• 5300.jpg
    5300.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 576

SQB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regularly BBs standart tips are hardness selectet triangle tips, from what I know!

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
They begin as Triangles, but by the time they are on a cue they are not the same as a Triangle you get out of the box.

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
They begin as Triangles, but by the time they are on a cue they are not the same as a Triangle you get out of the box.

If that is a triangle... I am very intrigued as to how you get a burnish that looks that good?

the only way I have ever had a triangle burnish up that well is when superglue was applied to the sides of the tip (looks great, but you lose some playability, as the shoulder of the tip is now hard and brittle).

Without giving out any secrets, can you discuss?

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
If that is a triangle... I am very intrigued as to how you get a burnish that looks that good?

the only way I have ever had a triangle burnish up that well is when superglue was applied to the sides of the tip (looks great, but you lose some playability, as the shoulder of the tip is now hard and brittle).

Without giving out any secrets, can you discuss?

Some cue makers including SW will use a black sharpie then burnish to make triangles or elk masters look more, well uniform being they don't burnish very well.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Some cue makers including SW will use a black sharpie then burnish to make triangles or elk masters look more, well uniform being they don't burnish very well.

I will post a picture of one of mine, but I burnish it up like glass then hit it with Sharpie. Secret family recipe ;). Sharpie prevents mushrooming to a serious degree as well.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the little I know about BB's, Tony has triangle ship him tips that follow his specific specifications.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
I will post a picture of one of mine, but I burnish it up like glass then hit it with Sharpie. Secret family recipe ;). Sharpie prevents mushrooming to a serious degree as well.

Can you elaborate on your statement about the sharpie preventing mushrooming?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Can you elaborate on your statement about the sharpie preventing mushrooming?

This was explained to me by an old cuemaker. If you soak Sharpie into the tip after trimming, then burnish hard and re soak with ink, the chemicals in the ink help harden up the sides a bit and prevent mushrooming. I've seen that it does in fact help.

He would really lay it on there, though.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
This was explained to me by an old cuemaker. If you soak Sharpie into the tip after trimming, then burnish hard and re soak with ink, the chemicals in the ink help harden up the sides a bit and prevent mushrooming. I've seen that it does in fact help.

He would really lay it on there, though.
I really doubt it.
I stopped blackening the sides of the tips b/c they leave nice black skid marks on the cloth.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Just about all my tip jobs these days are done with Ultras now,but the last Triangle I did was known about well in advance,so I soaked it in India ink for 2 days and let it dry for 3 while pressed.

It looked as nice as the ones in the above pics when done,except there was no color change between the radius and sidewalls. The side walls were sealed with CA,along with the ferrule.

I have no idea how it played,but it was intended as a break tip on a Cuetec,but I'll take that aesthetic outcome every time :cool:. Tommy D.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It probably took Tony 2 full 8 hour days to put on and perfectly dress those Triangle tips! If there was a black tip pad between the shaft and tip would you consider that to be a ferrule? :) Martin

Last edited: