Cue Lathe

lumberman

Registered
Here is a YouTube link showing an interesting taig based all in one cnc/manual cue lathe that can do points and inlays as well. Seems like a good lathe for a hobby or small volume cue maker. Does anyone have any more info on his lathe. What little I can find on it is in Japanese. I'm not sure if the fellow is selling these or not. It seems well constructed and well thought out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJvJ2jzYNBY

cuesdefuentes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i checked out the website on the video and translated it with google. still couldn't read all of it,but it looks like the lathe costs around $8000..

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Here is a YouTube link showing an interesting taig based all in one cnc/manual cue lathe that can do points and inlays as well. Seems like a good lathe for a hobby or small volume cue maker. Does anyone have any more info on his lathe. What little I can find on it is in Japanese. I'm not sure if the fellow is selling these or not. It seems well constructed and well thought out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJvJ2jzYNBY

Very impressive but I did notice the absence of a key feature; increments on the handwheels.
CNC doesn't need them but a manual operator does......unless he's real good at guessing.

KJ

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very impressive but I did notice the absence of a key feature; increments on the handwheels.
CNC doesn't need them but a manual operator does......unless he's real good at guessing.

KJ

You may find like on teach lathes, any movement of the axis is recorded and is displayed on the readout screen, but movement doe snot have to be recorded.
In teach mode, it records the shape or movements being made, then incorporates that as the part shape.
Teach lathes are really good at being able to pick up existing threads and then recut them. A lot more difficult job to do with a conventional cnc machine.
Neil

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Nice ... A Hightower reinvented with stepper motors and CNC control.

Is their someone that is selling a CNC upgrade kit for Chris Hightower lathes?
I dont see why an existing Hightower lathe could not be retro-fitted with stepper motors.

The cutting tool box that had the vacuum attachment was a cool device.

Chris Hightower has always been making improvements his lathes and perhaps sometime in the near future he will offer some kind of CNC upgrade.

Willee

lumberman

Registered
Here is a link to a translated page showing some of the features and specs. It looks like a 1 click movement of the manual handle on the Y-axis stepper motor amounts to a .04mm movement. Quite a versatile machine. A fully loaded package which includes everything is about 8k and thats without shipping. It seems to use linear rails rather than dovetails, so it should be a pretty accurate and smooth machine.

https://translate.googleusercontent...0.html&usg=ALkJrhglcbCI8Z77E2qEbjgYSH9oSvewcw

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I'd still like to know where I'm at, where I'm going and what I have to do to get there.
As a CNC this machine is OK. I'm a hands-on guy. My machines don't compromise that function.
The nice thing about increments on the hand-wheels is that you don't have to
do the math before advancing the tool each time.
But, to each his own.

KJ

JC

Coos Cues
I like the streamlined router/dust collector mechanism a lot.

Think I will copy that part for my Fred Flintstone Hightower lathe.

JC