I think it's time someone cleaned up this sport.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Pool needs fun for sure

Since pool is a skill some folks tend to get testy and forget to have fun so I think we need to make sure we add fun to it, fun draws attention.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
Were you following the fun challenges between Venom and Darren Appleton and Venom on Facebook?
Looks like Darren was also trying to challenge a few others.

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually had more fun shooting straights in my basement than in any pool room.

Great stress relief.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

larry732

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is nothing wrong with this sport except for a few bad apples. Billiards is a beautiful game of skill, that you can keep learning forever. Todays Billiard Parlors are a fine place not only for a player, but the intire family for an afternoon or evening of fun. The poolroom I play in, Shooters in Southington, CT. have as many as 90 seniors that play in three different leagues during the week. There is also a women's league on Saturdays with over 100 sign ups. On weekends there are fathers bringing in children to learn the game. Its time to forget the stigma that was associated with the old time poolrooms, that were a place for bookmakers and gambling. The rooms today are built for family recreation. Now I feel better putting my 2 cents into a wonderful pastime.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
and much more

I agree with a lot of what you said Larry. I would like to add that as Pool Rooms went to Sports Bars to survive I think its time to consider another transformation. At the place I play Chandleys in Statesville, NC we have a huge venue and this allows us to also segue into....Event Center.

When you find a way to involve the local community that can also help people learn to love the game.

You have to use other events and reasons to get them in there in order to keep interest up. Not everyone cares for pool but some will if you give them the chance. Getting away from total bar scene would be a good thing. Events draw eyeballs. Cornhole, Dance Events, Event Center for rent, Food, Meeting Rooms etc.

There is nothing wrong with this sport except for a few bad apples. Billiards is a beautiful game of skill, that you can keep learning forever. Todays Billiard Parlors are a fine place not only for a player, but the intire family for an afternoon or evening of fun. The poolroom I play in, Shooters in Southington, CT. have as many as 90 seniors that play in three different leagues during the week. There is also a women's league on Saturdays with over 100 sign ups. On weekends there are fathers bringing in children to learn the game. Its time to forget the stigma that was associated with the old time poolrooms, that were a place for bookmakers and gambling. The rooms today are built for family recreation. Now I feel better putting my 2 cents into a wonderful pastime.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Start with prohibiting pattern racking like you see in this video, promoted as "runs a 6 pack."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5CRbIGy5PE

Note the 2, 3 & 4 at the back of the rack every time, the 5 & 8 as wing balls and the 6, 7 up front. The soft break pockets the wing ball and sends the 2 up by the side. If the 1 doesn't go in, you have an easy 2 to get started.
I see him shoot one tough shot the whole 6 racks and it was a 1 ball.
When his run ends, notice the 2 failed to come off the bottom rail with his soft break.
This is unsportsmanlike conduct, heralded as great play. He should be disqualified.
If you're as good as he is, why do you have to cheat?
This is what needs to be cleaned up in pool.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That reminded me for one game i played money with (finnish)baseball bat and won!
My students were too much for equipment and I wanted to make sure they understand it is Indian, not arrow that makes job done :rolleyes:
I played that bat only because one of my students had it with him.

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe you are correct. I have to admit I never saw a shot after his assistant arrived.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member

I can't green rep you again yet...

so here it is...

GREEN REP.

But... there are still some undesirable things attached to the game that fosters the bad rap.

Last edited:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, and you have to admit he has a unique talent. Very entertaining.

I have to admit that I really don't like trick shots (artistic pool...whatever it's called these days). Nothing against them, but I'm just personally not into it. That said, if Florian came to my area, I'd probably show up and watch, especially if he brought a model or two.

I wonder how many times that poor girl was clocked in the head with a cue ball? :eek:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I have to admit that I really don't like trick shots (artistic pool...whatever it's called these days). Nothing against them, but I'm just personally not into it. That said, if Florian came to my area, I'd probably show up and watch, especially if he brought a model or two.

I wonder how many times that poor girl was clocked in the head with a cue ball? :eek:

Hey, you can't say that....errr, oh, you said "cue BALL". No worries.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually there are all types of pool halls.

There are the pool halls that are gang banger spots.

There are pool halls that are hardcore action spots that look like crap but are actually pretty safe but watch your wallet.

There are pool halls that are upscale with little to no action, college kids, business men, etc.

And there are pool halls that are a blend of upscale that anyone would feel safe going into and they have hardcore hustlers there also.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Actually there are all types of pool halls.

There are the pool halls that are gang banger spots.

There are pool halls that are hardcore action spots that look like crap but are actually pretty safe but watch your wallet.

There are pool halls that are upscale with little to no action, college kids, business men, etc.

And there are pool halls that are a blend of upscale that anyone would feel safe going into and they have hardcore hustlers there also.

----------:thumbup2:--------------