Delayed drop

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I was playing a friend straight pool when my run was ended by a jawed ball. It was half way over the edge … very frustrating. As my opponent approached the table and began viewing how he would proceed all of a sudden the ball dropped. Nobody bumped or even touched the table and probably 5 or 10 seconds had elapsed. Is that my ball and I continue my run or is it re-spotted? Thanks in advance for your collective knowledgeable input.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not positive if it's right, but we play that if it falls in the first 3 seconds it stays down as a pot for the shooter, and if it falls after 3 seconds it comes up and gets replaced as closely to where it was when it fell as possible. Last week we had to go to video replay on a ball that fell exactly at 3 seconds from when it came to rest. We flipped a coin and replaced it.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Thanks for the response Mick. It was a friendly game and I'm not positive of how long it took for it to fall. It fell and we both looked at one another like WTF! We just agreed to call it down and I continued shooting.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time is a hard thing to judge. Luckily we try to record all of the pool played in the garage and had the means to get an exact measurement. You never know when something interesting is going to happen, so we just record everything.

Edit: One of the ideas I had is that if I ever open a pool hall, I'd build a camera into the lights on every table and record every session. If a person wanted a copy of their table time, charge them five or ten bucks to get a copy of it. Probably pay for itself pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was playing a friend straight pool when my run was ended by a jawed ball. It was half way over the edge … very frustrating. As my opponent approached the table and began viewing how he would proceed all of a sudden the ball dropped. Nobody bumped or even touched the table and probably 5 or 10 seconds had elapsed. Is that my ball and I continue my run or is it re-spotted? Thanks in advance for your collective knowledgeable input.
The rule is five seconds on the brink. If it falls later, it is respotted as close as possible to where it was hanging.

The rules are here for balls settling, but you will also have to see the definition mentioned. https://wpapool.com/rules-of-play/#17Balls-Settling