Looking for the best Pool ball rack

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeW said:
I took the el cheapo 9 dollar rack from Dick's and placed about 5 layers of electrician's tape slightly above center on two sides.

My buddies who are more into recreational pool have a way of pushing the balls forward but not tightenting from the sides, hence the tape to insure a tight rack.

Works like a charm and now I get a tight rack everytime. All they have to do is push the balls into the rack and the tape forces the balls tohether.

Not putting down anyone's rack, I just look for the cheap easy way.:D

Oh Yeah, I placed chair glides on the bottom of the rack so they know which side is up. Chrome gliders do not harm the Simonis 860 cloth. I would prefer ball bearing but simply won't spend the money.

Any chance of getting a picture of this?

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here ya go

rack001.jpg

rack002.jpg

Dick's sporting good special, known for their high quality pool racks ($5.00 - $10.00) Electrician's tape $1.00. I would have been a real guy and used duct tape but it just wasn't soft enough.:D

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeW said:
Here ya go

Dick's sporting good special, known for their high quality pool racks ($5.00 - $10.00) Electrician's tape $1.00. I would have been a real guy and used duct tape but it just wasn't soft enough.:D

Thanks!
And that real works?

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, it does for 8 Ball and 9-Ball. For straight pool I haven't rellay noticed as most of my buddies don't play.

After a few nights playing with friends and noticing that I never get a tight rack when they rack, and not wanting to be an ass, becasue they don't mean anything by it. There is no need to be obsessive when everyone (but me) is on their second six pack, I just needed a way that I could enjoy the game too. So one Saturday I just started toying with the rack and pushing balls in like they do. Messed around trying to find something that would make the side balls tighten up. Just kept messing until I found something that my friends could use and I would be satisfied with.

Works like a charm whether your sober of half in the bag. The little arrow on the front is for one of my buddies who doesn't have the sense to plant grass green side up!

Last edited:

Caromsoft

"Your Break...Big Brain!"
Silver Member
JoeW said:
Yeah, it does for 8 Ball and 9-Ball. For straight pool I haven't rellay noticed as most of my buddies don't play.

After a few nights playing with friends and noticing that I never get a tight rack when they rack, and not wanting to be an ass, becasue they don't mean anything by it. There is no need to be obsessive when everyone (but me) is on their second six pack, I just needed a way that I could enjoy the game too. So one Saturday I just started toying with the rack and pushing balls in like they do. Messed around trying to find something that would make the side balls tighten up. Just kept messing until I found something that my friends could use and I would be satisfied with.

Works like a charm whether your sober of half in the bag. The little arrow on the front is for one of my buddies who doesn't have the sense to plant grass green side up!
I'm going to have to try this! :)

RShaffman

Registered
I have a diamond rack. I found one side racks better than the other. I marked it with a yellow stick and rubbed the inside of it with baby powder (it’s sealed in a lacquer that sometimes sticks to the balls). Do that and you’ll be in heaven. It’s either that or a magic rack which is better but not as fast to rack. Hope that helps you. I have my own gold crown and have perfected the 9 ball break to a science. Good luck.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a diamond rack. I found one side racks better than the other. I marked it with a yellow stick and rubbed the inside of it with baby powder (it’s sealed in a lacquer that sometimes sticks to the balls). Do that and you’ll be in heaven. It’s either that or a magic rack which is better but not as fast to rack. Hope that helps you. I have my own gold crown and have perfected the 9 ball break to a science. Good luck.
Am i tripping or was last post TWELVE yrs ago???

dbgordie

Thread Killer!!
Silver Member
After 12 years it’s still the Delta Elite with leather inserts.

I like mine without the leather inserts. I ordered it directly from Delta and paid a little extra for the personalized lettering. Leather inserts would only cover the lettering.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Heavy Wood and Metal Triangles

What ever rack you get, it must not be able to cut/or dent the cloth when it falls out of the players hands or if it can fall from hanging above the play surface. Steel racks are the worst, they wear the rack area too much, if ya drop an edge, you'll probably/surly cut the cloth, or weaken the weave.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like mine without the leather inserts. I ordered it directly from Delta and paid a little extra for the personalized lettering. Leather inserts would only cover the lettering.
I guess you need to get the lettering on the insert. It is amazing that the inserts can make the metal rack sound just like a wood rack. The first time I heard the Delta, the clanging bothered my ears worse than a clicking stick.

I was thinking about the non-insert Delta a couple of nights ago. A player on a neighboring table was racking 8 ball and someone had taught him how to get a tight rack by putting the balls in the rack and then sliding the rack quickly and repeated up and down the table making a k-k-k-CLANK, k-k-k-CLANK, k-k-k-CLANK sound. I think a couple of passes with the bare Delta and he would figure out some other way to get a tight rack or maybe get thrown out -- either would be an adequate solution.