Break cloth patch

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With respect, you either don’t break very hard, or don’t really know too much about the break. You’re way better off using the newspaper.

Really anyone that prioritizes the look of the table (which takes years to accumulate enough break marks to be an issue) over the proper play just indicates that they are a different type of “player”. No offense but it most assuredly affects the break. You just don’t notice.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

I agree 100%.

Once a person develops a good break, they will literally hate using a break pad regardless of how thin. It makes a big difference in how the cb reacts before and after contact with the head ball causing all sorts of negative outcomes from bad position on 1 ball to not being able to control where specific balls in rack end up. In a close match, it is a deal breaker (no pun intended).

I'm lucky enough to have access to places that don't care if I practice my AR, 10 ball and 9 ball breaks 7 days a week.

Now, if I could only physically practice my break for more than 15 or 20 minutes without having my back, neck and shoulders feel like they are gonna explode, I would take advantage of the practice opportunities way more often.

Since I'm not able to do so, I'll stay with 14.1 and starting with different break positions on each break. That way there is absolutely no need for a pad.

Jeff

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree 100%.

Once a person develops a good break, they will literally hate using a break pad regardless of how thin. It makes a big difference in how the cb reacts before and after contact with the head ball causing all sorts of negative outcomes from bad position on 1 ball to not being able to control where specific balls in rack end up. In a close match, it is a deal breaker (no pun intended).

I'm lucky enough to have access to places that don't care if I practice my AR, 10 ball and 9 ball breaks 7 days a week.

Now, if I could only physically practice my break for more than 15 or 20 minutes without having my back, neck and shoulders feel like they are gonna explode, I would take advantage of the practice opportunities way more often.

Since I'm not able to do so, I'll stay with 14.1 and starting with different break positions on each break. That way there is absolutely no need for a pad.

Jeff

Agreed big time! Wells said sir.

KMRUNOUT

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm using a break pad, it's a cloth for cleaning sunglasses. It is thin enough and don't affect my break.

Scherf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the break pad is the dumbest thing ever. Let’s guarantee a screwed up feel on the break to protect the table from looking like a pool table. If you insist on this unecessary thing, just use a piece of paper or the Outsville one. Ruins the break less.

The break pad is a huge pet peeve of mine. Never once seen someone advocate for it that had a good break.

KMRUNOUT

Funny, I've never seen anyone that cried about a break pad really be any good. I use one on my table at home and our private club requires it. DOES NOT make the cue ball jump what so ever. Only a poor stroke will make the cue ball jump. Saves cloth tremendously but still nothing you can do about the burn marks from the end of the cloth to the head spot.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr. Dave.... where Are You?
Do you have a video on this?

I don't know what or how Dr. Dave would compare one pad to another and how it works but:

Several big breaking pros agree that a break/jump pad can/will change the outcome on the break.

Among the few pros that I've had the chance to ask this very question was SVB and Mike Dechaine.

Very few if any break the way the above do but, I can say that when I'm healthy I've had 10 ball breaks clocked at 28 and park the cb. I cannot do that when using a break/jump pad.

My average 10 ball break speed has always averaged 22 to 26 depending on certain variables. Regardless, I've always had to back-down a notch when using a break pad. Also, unless you play with one a lot, it will mess with cb control/rack spread.

I'm no scientist but, I no what I've experienced and more importantly, what the best breakers in the world have said.

Jeff

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes - leftover Simonis. Still get the lines from the break spot to the rack.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny, I've never seen anyone that cried about a break pad really be any good. I use one on my table at home and our private club requires it. DOES NOT make the cue ball jump what so ever. Only a poor stroke will make the cue ball jump. Saves cloth tremendously but still nothing you can do about the burn marks from the end of the cloth to the head spot.

I think my later comments stand. I guess we are forced to conclude that SVB has a poor stroke since his cueball hops. Lots of pros have bad strokes lol. You don’t know what you don’t know. Makes little difference in the cloth. Affects the break. Whether it affects the break really isn’t an opinion, obviously for anyone who has the least grasp of physics. Whether you can recognize the difference is certainly up for debate. Carry on doing what you like.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what or how Dr. Dave would compare one pad to another and how it works but:

Several big breaking pros agree that a break/jump pad can/will change the outcome on the break.

Among the few pros that I've had the chance to ask this very question was SVB and Mike Dechaine.

Very few if any break the way the above do but, I can say that when I'm healthy I've had 10 ball breaks clocked at 28 and park the cb. I cannot do that when using a break/jump pad.

My average 10 ball break speed has always averaged 22 to 26 depending on certain variables. Regardless, I've always had to back-down a notch when using a break pad. Also, unless you play with one a lot, it will mess with cb control/rack spread.

I'm no scientist but, I no what I've experienced and more importantly, what the best breakers in the world have said.

Jeff

Jeff,

You find yourself in the position where you are speaking facts that are obvious to people that understand the break. Many don’t. Hopefully one or two of them will learn something. The rest will wallow in their ignorance.

KMRUNOUT

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never have used one on any of my tables, however if there’s one on a table I always use it out of respect for who wants it.

Best
Fatboy

This is the best answer. If you play somewhere where it's required, then everybody is on an even playing field. If you're really that good at your break where you can tell a difference, you can figure out how to do it effectively.

That being said, I dont use one on my table. It only helps keep the kitchen clean. Damn. I thought I heard my wife talking for a second.

To add.... I recover my own table. So I cut the cost of recovering about in half. Another reason I dont use one.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont see how anyone can contend there is no difference between pad/ padless breaking. The cb is coming from a different height or at leas from a different platform.

Like I said; when I recover, I plan to utilize one.

Jeff

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 119

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Template. Done.

Even when I use my template rack I still set my Delta 13 on the table, fill it with balls, then roll it in place over the template. It just takes too long to put the balls in the template 1 or two at a time, Im not coordinated enough to do a whole row at once unless its the front row we are talking about. :):)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even when I use my template rack I still set my Delta 13 on the table, fill it with balls, then roll it in place over the template. It just takes too long to put the balls in the template 1 or two at a time, Im not coordinated enough to do a whole row at once unless its the front row we are talking about. :):)

It is definitely a learned skill, but I can rack my balls faster without a triangle.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Substantially more. Like breaking off a mattress. On a bar table playing 8 ball, I like to break hard. Well goodbye cue ball if you use a pad.

KMRUNOUT

No way that is true. I use a swatch of cloth every time and my CB never jumps with a 20-24 (according to break speed app) mph break. I notice no difference in the reaction of the CB with or without the swatch, so I happily use it to protect my table. To each their own on whether or not they use it.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member

Stopped using a template rack for one reason, it's a tight rack I'll never see in a league or local tourney. Even when I rack myself, the balls are never that tight. No one uses template racks around here, at least not in those playing situations.

Appreciate everyone's input.

I feel its inevitable it will change the break. CB at different height, it will compress when CB is struck and there must be more friction imparted on the CB. A piece of cloth loose on the table vs pulled tight, more friction.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No way that is true. I use a swatch of cloth every time and my CB never jumps with a 20-24 (according to break speed app) mph break. I notice no difference in the reaction of the CB with or without the swatch, so I happily use it to protect my table. To each their own on whether or not they use it.

Like I said...not everyone will be aware of the difference. The issues really become worse when you break hard, 23-28 range say, or obviously harder. You may have built a more flat break style. That’s great for someone that wants to use a break pad without issues. I must say I’m puzzled as to why my experience is “no way true”. I suppose your experience is true though right?

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stopped using a template rack for one reason, it's a tight rack I'll never see in a league or local tourney. Even when I rack myself, the balls are never that tight. No one uses template racks around here, at least not in those playing situations.

Appreciate everyone's input.

I feel its inevitable it will change the break. CB at different height, it will compress when CB is struck and there must be more friction imparted on the CB. A piece of cloth loose on the table vs pulled tight, more friction.

Of course you are right. I also don’t bother ever breaking with a template rack unless it’s being used in a tourney I am about to play. I think the issue with the pad is more about the compression rather than friction. I put in time to learn how to smash the rack fairly hard with the pop and squat cue ball effect. This break style, favored by many top breaking pros, does not work well with a pad. That creates the choice of either changing my break style, or not using a pad. Since the pad affects the game (both breaking and as an obstacle on the cloth), I dismiss it as a dumb solution to a non-problem.

KMRUNOUT

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given the same elevation and stroke, is a jump shot easier or harder to accomplish off a break pad? I ask because I have never tried it.