Thoughts and ideas? Planning on opening a pool office.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
I think it’s an excellent concept and I wish you the very best of luck, sir.

My two pence worth would be to reserve a small space in the room for what we call “holding games” over here in England. Backgammon, poker, darts etc.

Best wishes for the project, dear chap.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got this idea from another thread and a buddy of mine from Germany said his local pool hall is just a room that everyone pitches in every month and they get the key. I’m thinking about renting office space less than $1000 divided by 10 pool players everyone gets a key. You come and go as you please.

Have a small fridge or vending machine in there.

2 or 3 or 5 tables?

Legalities? Thoughts?

Not open to general public. It’s private.

If you can find a building with enough square feet for 3 to 5 pool tables for 1000 a month you are very fortunate. better figure out a foolproof way to split table time also. It could be great if everyone works together , I know a group of guys who drank together for 40 years in a bar , when the owner died , they started renting the building

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds great on paper. I would try my best to find a landlord that's an avid pool player.
What happens when a couple members keep bringing the same guests? (other than spouses)
Any limit on amount of visits guests will have?
Many more questions but I do like the idea.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you need 5 tables for 10 members? I would think 2 tables for 10 members would be plenty. Maybe even 1 table. They are never all going to be there at the same time. And if by chance there is not a table available for a waiting member, you can limit the number of sets before the table gets turned over to the waiting member.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
It's a great idea and when there was one here, it worked out very well.

I'd up your member numbers, Insurance is a must, and nowadays I would put several security cameras around.

Also, with the more members you can dictate certain days when they are 1st priority for a table and others when they can only play if no one is waiting.

Even if you have 10 people on site, you may not have all your tables in use because the same people get tired of playing each other or maybe someone gets better/worse and it messes with the rotation.

Card table is a must, chess board, domino table.

Digital lock on door with key, that way if someone gets behind on paying you can disable the code for them to get in and it also gives you an audit list of who came in and when.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It won’t be a business. No money is being made here and it’s purely for enjoyment and a place to go. It may benefit in the long run since it’s like a man cave away from home. We should all feel at home here.

The financial component should still be managed like a business if it’s to be successful long term...

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I live in Europe and have been a member of such a club. It does have some disadvantages. You'll have to be prepared to do quite a bit of work, the space must be cleaned and table maintained, vacuumed and balls polished after use. Members must be vetted very carefully...

There would have to be rather strict rules as well. People are going to make mistakes, like forgetting to lock up after themselves etc, so you'll need video surveillance to protect your assets. You'd be surprised how impractical and irresponsible some people can be with such things, even if they may have very good jobs and may be upstanding members of the community. With alcohol served and/or consumed on the premises, you are taking a bit of a risk.
I'd conservatively estimate that your problems will increase by a factor of 10, from that alone.

If you have 5 tables, I'd probably recommend no less than 15 members and more would be better. I think you'd need to run it like a club, with a president that has the final say on things. The clubs I have been a member of, have all be very professionally run with high class equipment and carefully vetted members. If you half-ass this, it's going to be very demanding to keep the place acceptable, and there may be conflicts. A way to avoid it is to make sure the members want the same things. Some may want the best equipment, while others just want a place to be and don't really care about such things. This sort of difference of expectations will lead to conflicts in very short order. Make sure that everyone is up for working to keep the place nice. It's more work than you'd think, to run a nice place, make sure that everyone knows exactly what is expected and make them sign contracts that are very specific. I have known of such places going to hell in a handbasket in very short order, because only a couple of the members did all the work. They of course tired of this and quit, and the entire thing disappeared.

If you choose to have a low membership count, you need to supplement the income with hourly pay for anyone who isn't a member. That is a good idea in either case, to avoid someone bringing 7 people and not paying. If people can't afford a low, reasonable hourly rate, you don't want them in your club, trust me. Trouble can come from someone becoming a nuissance and refusing to leave, maybe someone brings someone from the outside who is drunk and beliggerent. People from the outside may also force their way in. What if there are only a few people left in the evening, and something happens? You need to think about these kinds of scenarios and at least consider some sort of security arrangement, even if it is with someones cousin with a baseball bat who lives down the street. At the absolute minimum, there must be cameras. These things will probably happen very rarely, but think about it, at least.

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Btw to the op: why do you want to do this? It’s going to be herding cats, for no profit to boot. Just put a table in your house, and invite people over once in a while.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a member of one

We have 4 tables. 3 nine footers and 1 seven footer (odd size at the rear of office that would not allow another nine footer). All Diamonds and tighter than pro cuts.

It will take you more than 10 to probably float the place. You have:
1. Tables (you can rent them from Diamond) with lights
2. Rent
3. Utilities
4. Table upkeep, you will have to recover them occasionally.
5. Cleaning supplies
6. Toiletries, paper towels, etc.
7. Cameras for security purposes, but the members can also tune in and watch
8. Internet/cable
9. Possible room upkeep depending on the lease

We started with a “board of directors” but eventually went to one guy holding the lease, paying the bills and ultimately making the decisions. Our number is actually about 30 to keep ours up and running, the bills paid and the equipment top notch. 30 sounds like a lot but we got guys that play at all different times day and night. Some of us come in a few days a week while others play 3rd shift almost every night. And eventually you learn others schedules and club busy times.