RKC new business idea

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be right there as soon as I can come up with the $100. I need to wash my car a couple times first.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
first no entity will put up 3 million. and second why bother playing the top players in that long race will all take off most of the prize pool as they do in all the decent tournaments.

better to play your local champ a race to 25 or 50 for a 100 bucks and keep the money in town. besides you may get to shoot a few times at an open ball during the set.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
first no entity will put up 3 million. and second why bother playing the top players in that long race will all take off most of the prize pool as they do in all the decent tournaments.

better to play your local champ a race to 25 or 50 for a 100 bucks and keep the money in town. besides you may get to shoot a few times at an open ball during the set.

He claims the money is already in escrow and only accessible by the non-profit that runs the tournament. I'm not confirming it, just stating what he posted on FB.

I pledge a dollar. I always wanted to meet Hawaiian and play some one pocket. Come on boys pony up!

I'll offer a room to sleep in and a ride too and from the event, I live within 20 miles of the intended location.

EDIT: I could also, more than likely, help setup any action in the area.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A few more details...

There will be a permanent facility in Nampa, ID (Idaho, not Indonesia) with 256 tables in a 90,000 sqft ex-Kmart.

With 256 players eliminated each three hours, some amount of time between matches for each player, and up to 12 hours of play per day, I figure it will take 9 days.

Here is a picture of the proposed venue.

CropperCapture[108].jpg

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen's been posting this format for 10 or so years now. I doubt anyone here believes he's going to actually ever get it off the ground. But the FB group is the younger new members. Do they believe him?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
4000 send him 100 each =400,000. he holds this.

3 million or more is in escrow that no one can touch.

its great its in escrow. that makes it easy to post the bank and the statement showing it immediately. please somebody provide that when he posts it on facebook to prove he is legit about this.
ill hold my breath.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is kind of like Hopkin's Million Dollar Tournament. Where he figured 200 players would put up 5,000 each. Well, 12 total players put up the money, with one being Hopkins himself. Corey beat Shane in the finals, and won a bracelet with 1MM inscribed on it.

Or the IPT that was supposed to have tons of qualifiers and tons of players at each qualifier putting up 1k each. (before the money problems of KT). Those qualifiers could barely get 16 players. Some of them even quit the qualification part and made it a regular local event instead.

All these ideas were/are dependent on a high number of players participating. As we see year after year, and promoter after promoter, that simply never, ever, happens.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Glen's been posting this format for 10 or so years now. I doubt anyone here believes he's going to actually ever get it off the ground. But the FB group is the younger new members. Do they believe him?
I think this plan could work, but the real question is whether anyone will be interested in seeing it. Without an audience, it is worthless to sponsors. He talks about a Chinese streaming service:

And what if Tencent in China, the Netflix of China, was willing to pay $200M for a 2 year, exclusive streaming contract for the content ...

I have never heard of China paying much attention to American pool, but I suppose it is possible.

The other thing is that if the money is going to come from sponsors/audience there is no real need to have 4000 players. You are not going to be streaming 256 matches any time soon and if you did 240 of the matches would have fewer than 10 viewers.

I think 64 is about the right number of players as far as an international event that is based on viewership is concerned. Any players beyond that just get underfoot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is kind of like Hopkin's Million Dollar Tournament. Where he figured 200 players would put up 5,000 each. Well, 12 total players put up the money, with one being Hopkins himself. Corey beat Shane in the finals, and won a bracelet with 1MM inscribed on it.
Glen's plan is very different. It's only $100 to get in. The added money is about ten times the entry fees. The money odds are good. Hopkins' event was player-financed, I believe, with no added money.

I think lots of players will figure they can beat #2000 in the world in the first round of a single-elimination event at which point they get their entry fee back plus enough for two nights in the motel. (No seeding in the draws.) $500 back for win-win-loss.

But the major sticking point I see is getting the $4,000,000 or so sponsorship money for each event. So far as I can tell, that has not happened.

There are lots of minor details, such as the months of preparation by paid staff and buying and installing the tables.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this plan could work, but the real question is whether anyone will be interested in seeing it. Without an audience, it is worthless to sponsors. He talks about a Chinese streaming service:

And what if Tencent in China, the Netflix of China, was willing to pay $200M for a 2 year, exclusive streaming contract for the content ...

I have never heard of China paying much attention to American pool, but I suppose it is possible.

The other thing is that if the money is going to come from sponsors/audience there is no real need to have 4000 players. You are not going to be streaming 256 matches any time soon and if you did 240 of the matches would have fewer than 10 viewers.

I think 64 is about the right number of players as far as an international event that is based on viewership is concerned. Any players beyond that just get underfoot.

I don't think it will work long-term, there simply isn't enough people willing to pay $100 to travel to a single elimination tournament. They might try it for the novelty but if someone goes one and out what are the chances they would return. There needs to be more incentive IMHO. Second chance tourney's, exhibitions by pros, merchant booths (which he said would not happen).

I live close so I'd go in a heartbeat but I'm not sure I would travel very far for a single elimination tournament.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glen's plan is very different. It's only $100 to get in. The added money is about ten times the entry fees. The money odds are good. Hopkins' event was player-financed, I believe, with no added money.

I think lots of players will figure they can beat #2000 in the world in the first round of a single-elimination event at which point they get their entry fee back plus enough for two nights in the motel. (No seeding in the draws.) $500 back for win-win-loss.

But the major sticking point I see is getting the $4,000,000 or so sponsorship money for each event. So far as I can tell, that has not happened.

There are lots of minor details, such as the months of preparation by paid staff and buying and installing the tables.

Agreed, and someone has to run all that video equipment.

Whoever the backers are they have put a lot of stock in this, I hope they get the views they need to succeed.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... there simply isn't enough people willing to pay $100 to travel to a single elimination tournament. ... Second chance tourney's, exhibitions by pros, merchant booths (which he said would not happen).... .
Is there no other space in Nampa that is available to rent where some enterprising person could give the pool players what they actually want as opposed to what Glen wants? :groucho:

4000 pool players with nothing to do for a week. Think about it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Whoever the backers are they have put a lot of stock in this, I hope they get the views they need to succeed.
One of us is confused. What has actually happened so far? From what I've read, there is no contract, there is no agreement, there is no lease on the space, there is no 501c3, there is no....

"backers are" implies that there are backers. Why do you believe that?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish y'all would get this figured out before I put all these quarters into the pin ball machine.