Mike Massey side arm stroke

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Tor/Mike actually have a lot of cool videos and tips. You might consider becoming a patron if only to watch a lot of the content Tor has available.

There are also a lot of other pool content makers that we should all support!

-td

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great technique. Try it, you will be surprised at how quickly you can master it. I use it as needed, although I won't try to use follow like Mike does - will have to work up to that one

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t have the initial issue. I don’t have large hands and play left and right handed so I have more options on getting into position to finesse these shots.

However, fun to see some alternative thinking. I always enjoy watching actual pros explaining techniques. It’s often a one sentence take away from a lesson that sticks with me. An extra tool to take out of the tool chest.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was great...automatically limits the follow-through.
I think that moving your grip hand forward a lot is a simpler, more effective technique and easier to learn. And it automatically limits follow-through. Hoppe's technique of slapping the cue into your grip hand is a good technique for softer shots.

Last edited:

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that moving your grip hand forward a lot is a simpler, more effective technique and easier to learn. And it automatically limits follow-through. Hoppe's technique of slapping the cue into your grip hand is a good technique for softer shots.

Slapping the cue into your grip hand? Not sure I am picturing that one

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That shot is OLD, OLD, OLD.... Dr Cue had that in one of his videos.

Dr Cue had that in one of his videos. I thinks it was in the late 90s , early 2000s

There is another, but it may have been outlawed, You hold the cue, just back of the ferrule & thunk it...

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I was taught a wrist stroke by an old carom player. Basically you hold the cue arm in the normal 90 degree position and isolate your wrist. Your stroking the ball with just the wrist and without following through. With practise you can draw the ball very far indeed without fouling. I can even play the entire game this way and have ok power on fast tables, of course then I'd follow through with the wrist when distance was not an issue. Wouldn't recommend it though, as your wrist will feel like that of a jiu jitsu student after a while. Fun to play with this. I'll have to try the Mike Massey way and see if I can move even closer with that. It's been about 2 months since I was last near a pool table and it may be at least 2 more.

There is a secret to this as well, in how to get maximum action at slow speed. If you work the Mike Massey technique, you'll probably, eventually find it out, but I'm not telling.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI to those interested, these and many more double-hit avoidance techniques can be found here:

Here's a list (with video links) of some of the techniques included:

- NV J.30 – FOULS IN POOL … Everything You Need to Know
---- angled hit (7:01)
---- elevated cue (7:14)
---- inside vs. outside spin (7:40)
---- short bridge and stroke (8:22)
---- grip tighten (8:30)
---- highly elevated cue (8:43)
---- smack hand against the rail (9:08)
---- reverse stroke with cue on table (9:28)
- NV B.49 – Using your knuckles to prevent a double hit and stop the cue ball, with Bob Jewett
- NV B.50 – Using your knuckles to prevent a double hit and get follow, with Bob Jewett
- NV B.51 – Using your natural forward stroke limit to prevent a double hit and get draw, with Bob Jewett
- NV B.52 – Using a fouetté shot to prevent a double hit, with Bob Jewett
- gripping the shaft close to a solid bridge hand, as shown at the 2:33 point in NV J.22 – Top 10 Creative Billiards Bridge Options
- side-arm wrist flick method (with Mike Massey)

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As others said, this is nothing new. We've been teach "close quarters" stroking techniques for decades. I've seen randyg draw the CB, with a level cue and very close together (less than an inch) more than 9 feet, with no foul. It's always amazing when some famous folks think they have invented something new. :rolleyes: Nope.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
As others said, this is nothing new. We've been teach "close quarters" stroking techniques for decades. I've seen randyg draw the CB, with a level cue and very close together (less than an inch) more than 9 feet, with no foul. It's always amazing when some famous folks think they have invented something new. rolleyes Nope.
C'mon! Mike's just promoting pool. He's not detracting from randyg's or anyone else's accomplishments. Like many here- he works tirelessly as an ambassador for the game we love. Rolling your eyes at Mike is rolling your eyes at a hall-of-famer and decades-long champion of the sport.

-td

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Slapping the cue into your grip hand? Not sure I am picturing that one

Let the grip fingers relax and then bring them up quickly. There will be usually a little forward motion. You actually get the speed from your fingers, not your wrist. Or at least that's what it feels like to me. Willie Hoppe mentions the technique in his 1941 book.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let the grip fingers relax and then bring them up quickly. There will be usually a little forward motion. You actually get the speed from your fingers, not your wrist. Or at least that's what it feels like to me. Willie Hoppe mentions the technique in his 1941 book.
For those interested, here's a demonstration of the grip-tightening technique.

Enjoy,
Dave

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching Mike’s video now, but I just wonder: There are reasons why pros often look for any alternate shot instead. Aside from the traditional BCA rules that prohibit any shot within a specified distance, and even how tournament referees typically give the shooter ‘benefit-of-the-doubt’, so many experienced opponents will assume a shot that close cannot be made legally, is the likely controversy/hostility really worth the chance? Bar leagues have even (in essence) legalized the double-hit (with the 45 degree jack-up rule) to avoid fights (?). Can practicing Mikes technique guarantee success? How subtle is the minimum feedback a shooter feels during an illegal double-hit before he might feel ethically compelled to call a foul on himself? Sounds like the sort of turmoil that likely should be avoided if possible.