Bar Table 8-ball Situation - WWYD?

GG11

Kill the Bunny
Silver Member
Hi everyone,

So last week Wei and I were talking about Vegas and he asked me what my favorite rack from Vegas was. It was a very interesting situation and he thought some of you might enjoy it. Below was the table layout & remember it's a bar table.

I have ball in hand and am solids. Before I tell you what I did, let's see what you guys come up with. (BTW, how badass is Wei's new 3D feature!!! That guy is a genius!)

CueTable Help

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
6 in R corner- QB down to break 8 out- pocket 3- then 8. It's simple. It's a BB:thumbup:. Johnnyt

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I tend to play safe in times like this and let them figure it out. If the 12, you are home free, if the kick at the 11, you gotta figure something else out.

CueTable Help

If I'm going to break them up, i'll pocket the 6 with high inside and try to hit the 8. If I miss the 8, I can still have an easy 3 ball and a bank on the 8.

CueTable Help

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I like cleary's break-them-up pattern (the 2nd one)... that's probably what i'd do.

at first i thought, make the 3 and draw back to knock either 12 or 8 out, but then i saw the 6 up-table and realized that would never work. lol

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I tend to play safe in times like this and let them figure it out. If the 12, you are home free, if the kick at the 11, you gotta figure something else out.

CueTable Help

If I'm going to break them up, i'll pocket the 6 with high inside and try to hit the 8. If I miss the 8, I can still have an easy 3 ball and a bank on the 8.

CueTable Help

Yep that's the shot. Johnnyt

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Play 12 come 1 rail to center table .That gives you the right angle to come 1 rail back across for the 8.Oooops wrong set of balls

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I would cut the 6 and go 1 rail maybe hit the side rail before running into the 8 with the cb,if I get it out then great I am out

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tend to play safe in times like this
Playing safe isn't a bad idea, but your safetey might be too passive. Might as well bank the 6-ball to an area such that a break out using it might be more viable on a subsequent shot.

On a bar box, my experience with this is that you never come up good on this break out. My guess is that everyone who plays significant bar box 8-ball agrees. It seems so enticing, but both ball always seem to gather together with the blocking ball doing nothing but gluing itself to the 8-ball.

Personally, I'm playing for the bank on the 8-ball all the way due to the bar box.

Fred

Last edited:

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Breaking out the 8 from the 6 is the right idea, but you guys are doing it the hard way. All you have to do is reposition the cb, and use a stun shot. Much easier to hit the 8 that way.

CueTable Help

Going that way you would have to pound the cb to get any speed unless the table has 860 cloth on it. The BB tables used for tournaments I play in at weekly,you would have to be very precise on the vertical plane with that type of shot on slower cloth,and hit it hard. JMO

Last edited:

GG11

Kill the Bunny
Silver Member
thanks for the replies everyone -- my plan was similar to all the replies here. The only difference was I shot the ball at a speed to hit the 8-ball dead on and hard enough to actually pocket the 12-ball providing shape on the 3 ball.

Tony called me crazy! Wasn't the first time either! But my crazy plan worked!! :grin:

CueTable Help

Thanks for participating! :)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
thanks for the replies everyone -- my plan was similar to all the replies here. The only difference was I shot the ball at a speed to hit the 8-ball dead on and hard enough to actually pocket the 12-ball providing shape on the 3 ball. ! :)

Glad it worked out. I'd call you crazy, too.

Fred

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Breaking out the 8 from the 6 is the right idea, but you guys are doing it the hard way. All you have to do is reposition the cb, and use a stun shot. Much easier to hit the 8 that way.

CueTable Help

I like your solution the best but for me I would place the cue ball with a little more cut to the six so that I would use the natural tangent line to the eight. This will allow me to hit the eight ball exactly how I would want. The stun shot is good but there is some guess involved with it because of the distance, even on a bar table.

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
I would have touched the 6 and put the cue on the rail with the 6 blocking the 11 so they would have to hit the 12 moving it out out the way.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Since this is a how would you play this....my question is....do you all aim to hit the 8 direct as diagramed or do you aim to hit say the diamond above the 8.....(so the CB hits the rail andthe 8 at the same time)?????

I don't know about you all....but I am NO Efren Reyes....I would opt to aim where I have the most margin for error........If I aim "at the 8" and I miss a bit to the right....I could miss the 8 and scratch...or knock my opponents ball closer to the 8 and thus not improve my position....(actually makes it worse since I would now be at a disadvantage ball count wise)

I know the shot seems simple on the wie table....but just a hint of draw/follow/right/left can vary your stun angle or rebound angle off the rail..

Just a thought.....;)