The joy of learning...and teaching!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to share something that I received today. It's not about "tooting my own horn", but more about the joy that comes from teachers sharing their love of knowledge to eager students. There is not a teacher alive (teaching anything) who is not overjoyed when "the light goes on" for a student...or in other words, they "get it"! For pool instructors, I can say with perfect honesty, that it is my intention to help someone achieve whatever goals they want to set for themselves, concerning their pool game. Yes, I work with many students who play way under my "speed". But I also work with many players (including pros) who play far above my speed. It is not about receiving "accolades", or getting "smoke blown up my skirt"! It is about the joy that comes from helping someone learn something that helps them, in some way, to be better...a better poolplayer, a better citizen, a better man/woman. To me, that's what being a teacher is all about. I hope you enjoy...

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I know that you probably hear this all the time, but I just had to express my thanks to you for offering your instruction on developing and maintaining a proper and repeatable stroke. Since my lesson, I have worked about an hour per day on the mother drills and the SAM - a little over a month. I can't begin to tell you how pleased I am with the results from this minimal investment. Playing the ghost really does not provide the wow factor that just smacks you in the face. Yes, I have seen slow but steady improvement there. However, the real proof is in playing a higher skilled opponent as my close friend is. We play straight pool to 150 and he regularly beats me by scores of 150 - 60 on average. Well, last night he still won the match but the score was 150 - 133 and I had a legitimate chance of victory. My confidence has never been higher because I now understand the real WHY behind playing pool well. It's the stroke! Thank you Mr. Scott Lee! That day I had my lesson with you is the day my pool game was born.

Dave

Last edited:

C.Milian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott is like that Siberian husky in the prairies. He'll prance around smelling flowers and chasing hummingbirds. Then all of a sudden when a worthwhile topic appears on AZ, he sniffs his way back to give his input. So far, he's dais some funny things. Keep it up Scott. Don't lose the spirit.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott,

I had one teacher like you. He had a lasting effect on my life. He is still influencing me today.

Then I had one Drill instructor at the tender age of 17, 1967. He saved my life while in harms way, 68 - 69. I remember his sternness and soon came to understand the why.

Then last but not least I had a Father who lead by example.

I still remember my lesson with you and it's where I go in my head to get back in stroke.

Ken, AKA Fenwick

Last edited:

bstroud

Deceased
Scott,

When I was learning to play pool rooms were much different.

There were always good players hanging in the room. When they weren't gambling they were always ready to share their knowledge.

That's how I learned.

Speaking of learning.

I had never played with the Aramith balls before. They react much differently than the old Centennials. They stick together like the are covered in glue. The new Diamond pro table I have has the new rail design and balls speed up off the cushions. All that combined with the small pockets make it more difficult for me to play really well.

Doesn't show up much unless you are playing straight pool. You need to be very careful every time you touch another ball.

Quite a learning experience.

Bill Stroud

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Scott,

There were always good players hanging in the room. When they weren't gambling they were always ready to share their knowledge.

That's how I learned.

Speaking of learning.

I had never played with the Aramith balls before. They react much differently than the old Centennials. They stick together like the are covered in glue. The new Diamond pro table I have has the new rail design and balls speed up off the cushions. All that combined with the small pockets make it more difficult for me to play really well.

Doesn't show up much unless you are playing straight pool. You need to be very careful every time you touch another ball.

Bill Stroud

I don't understand how it is physically possible for balls to speed up after contacting the cushions. From the moment that the cue ball leaves the tip of the cue, energy is lost due to friction, yes? Hitting a cushion results in another act of friction, losing more energy. The only way I can figure that balls speed up off of the cushions is if the cushions can impart some mechanical influence on the balls, which I don't believe they can do.

I would be curious to hear other's opinions about this. I've heard many people talk about balls speeding up coming off of Diamond's rails.

As an aside, thanks for posting. You are a great asset to the game. I also really appreciated your thoughts in this thread over on onepocket.org.

Cheers...

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scott. Toot your own horn. I appreciate your confidence and knowledge. You believe in yourself and you deliver. We depend on a quality instruction/instructor. Every comment I read about you is so positive I had no doubt our session would be a valuable one. You have a great reputation. I sensed you have great integrity, are trustworthy and ethical. I rarely invite a total stranger into my house but had no doubts about you. You communicated with me...showed up right on time. You are a pleasure to work with. Toot your own horn my friend....your word is your bond. You do what you say you will do. You teach...and teach very well. See you again sometime. Frank...Blue Bell, Pa.

BTW, I keep hearing..... aim...2 warm up strokes......Set(1000).....backswing...Pause, straighten/relax wrist(1000) ... accelerate ....Freeze
And I always thought 3 speed was an Raleigh English racer.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
two things in play

I don't understand how it is physically possible for balls to speed up after contacting the cushions. From the moment that the cue ball leaves the tip of the cue, energy is lost due to friction, yes? Hitting a cushion results in another act of friction, losing more energy. The only way I can figure that balls speed up off of the cushions is if the cushions can impart some mechanical influence on the balls, which I don't believe they can do.

I would be curious to hear other's opinions about this. I've heard many people talk about balls speeding up coming off of Diamond's rails.

As an aside, thanks for posting. You are a great asset to the game. I also really appreciated your thoughts in this thread over on onepocket.org.

Cheers...

First, no ball leaves a cushion with as much or more energy than was in it when it hit the cushion, that is indeed impossible. However two things can happen.

Spin can be converted to forward motion causing the ball to actually speed up after hitting any cushion.

The second thing seems to be the real issue with the new Diamond cushions. There can be less reduction in speed since less energy is absorbed in the collision with the cushion. After many years of expecting a certain reduction in speed when substantially less reduction than that happens the perception is that the ball is coming off the cushion faster. It is coming off of the cushion faster than it would come off of many cushions but not literally faster than when it went into the cushion unless spin is involved.

I played on a gaff table with all loose rails a few years back and had the opposite issue. It was a very old Diamond with much deader rails than the ones from even five years ago and then with the rails loose they soaked up energy where the balls just died when they hit a rail. Banks had to be fired much harder than normal playing one pocket and freezing a cue ball to rail was dead easy since that now happened at a much wider range of speed.

Hu

bstroud

Deceased
Hu,

I think you must be right. I have no problem with the rails on a gold crown but this new diamond is crazy. If a ball gets near the cushion it just seems to jump off the rail. Rail first shots are a real problem and even if the object ball is rolling show it just seems to come a long way off the rail.

This table has the Artemis rubber and the new rail angle from diamond. Coupled with 4 inch pockets it is a nightmare to play on.

The aramith balls have their own problems. I have never been stuck to so many balls in my life. The balls just settle together and freeze. I have seen balls move and then rock back to the cue ball and freeze. It's just weird.

Bill Stroud

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member

Cheers...

the cushion doesn't do anything the spin does..

balls can speed up of the cushion or slow down. depends on which way it is spinning and the angle that you go into the cushion.. running english increases speed.. reverse english decreases speed..

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
you got to be kidding... hit a ball into the rail with running english & it speeds up... easy to see with the eye...

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
the cushion doesn't do anything the spin does..

balls can speed up of the cushion or slow down. depends on which way it is spinning and the angle that you go into the cushion.. running english increases speed.. reverse english decreases speed..
exactly....

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member

Cheers...
try this hit a ball with heavy sidespin to a rail slowly and watch it come off the rail.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you got to be kidding... hit a ball into the rail with running english & it speeds up... easy to see with the eye...

try this hit a ball with heavy sidespin to a rail slowly and watch it come off the rail.

I don't believe he's talking about adding english to the ball and it coming off faster. That is a result of the english. If I understand, he is talking about the rail speeding up the ball. The speed of the ball like you describe is a result of the english, not the rail helping.

I think Hu described it well. The ball isn't speeding up as a result of the cushion, it is however not slowing down as quickly.

I think Jalapus Logan means hit a ball straight into (perpendicular to) the cushion with no english. It does not speed up. Rather, it slows down. The difference in diamonds and other tables is how much it slows down.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Scott,

That's how I learned.

Speaking of learning.

Bill Stroud

Bill I had a chance to meet you a few months back and had to pass due to a surgery I was in the middle of, I think we have mutual friends in Aspen Co. You are very correct on the balls sticking, I have the same table and balls as you are using and if I want to be frustrated i play on a Diamond with Arimith balls that are dirty. I imagine any ball sucks if it is not clean but Diamonds seem to high light poor conditions more then other tables because they play so perfectly(if that makes any sense).

If I keep the equipment clean I shoot good. Small pockets and less then perfect conditions will get to you in practice more then it will when competing against another player.

juspooln

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tootin your horn

I guess my P.M. didn't float your boat enough I see J/K you do a great job and I wish I could afford you for a whole week .Anyone that's on the fence about lessons should defiantly DO IT
P.S. my back is in better shape so I'll be ready when you get back to Fl.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I don't believe he's talking about adding english to the ball and it coming off faster. That is a result of the english. If I understand, he is talking about the rail speeding up the ball. The speed of the ball like you describe is a result of the english, not the rail helping.

I think Hu described it well. The ball isn't speeding up as a result of the cushion, it is however not slowing down as quickly.

I think Jalapus Logan means hit a ball straight into (perpendicular to) the cushion with no english. It does not speed up. Rather, it slows down. The difference in diamonds and other tables is how much it slows down.

Brandon, thanks for clarifying my inquiry. You said what I meant.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill...Absolutely not true! I love hearing from students about their progress and/or problems, and you've been kind enough to keep me up to date on how well things are working for you. Honestly I can't seem to keep my PM box empty enough to be able to answer quickly. LOL You were a really good student, especially with the constraints we had (working late into the night after you had a full day elsewhere). Thanks for keeping in touch, and I look forward to seeing you again in J'ville! Hope the new league is going well too!
Maybe we can put together a pool school down there! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I guess my P.M. didn't float your boat enough I see J/K you do a great job and I wish I could afford you for a whole week .Anyone that's on the fence about lessons should defiantly DO IT
P.S. my back is in better shape so I'll be ready when you get back to Fl.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ken...You asked me before we worked together if I thought you were too old to learn. I told you we never STOP learning...at any age. I'm glad to know that my influence is still helping you! Hope we meet up again sometime in Milwaukee!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Scott,

I had one teacher like you. He had a lasting effect on my life. He is still influencing me today.

Then I had one Drill instructor at the tender age of 17, 1967. He saved my life while in harms way, 68 - 69. I remember his sternness and soon came to understand the why.

Then last but not least I had a Father who lead by example.

I still remember my lesson with you and it's where I go in my head to get back in stroke.

Ken, AKA Fenwick