one pocket adjustment

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player A has been spotting player B 9-7 and player B rarely wins.
Should the adjustment be
player B gets 9-6
player B get 10-7
player B gets 9-7 and the break

I'm thinking 10-7 is the next step.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You’re probably right. But, does Player B ever get to the Hill. Has Player B ever run out? These answers would influence me about lower to 9-6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should the adjustment be
player B gets 9-6
player B get 10-7

9-6 is the next step if you arelooking to make the game even.
Handicaps are funny and change with the players.
For instance
Player A beats player B giving 10-5
Player B beats player C giving 8-7
Player A cant beat player C giving 10-6

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You’re probably right. But, does Player B ever get to the Hill. Has Player B ever run out? These answers would influence me about lower to 9-6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Player B rarely runs more than 3 or 4.
Player A runs 3 or 4 sometimes and sometimes more quite often.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player B needs to tighten up. If you’re trying to be fair the spot should go to 9-6.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player B needs to tighten up. If you’re trying to be fair the spot should go to 9-6.

I was playing a top one pocket player and I was getting 9-6 and losing.
I asked for 9-5.
He said he could go up but I cant go down.
We settled on 10-6.
I still lost. LOL.

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing a top one pocket player and I was getting 9-6 and losing.
I asked for 9-5.
He said he could go up but I cant go down.
We settled on 10-6.
I still lost. LOL.

I've heard that as well, top guys run balls better than us mortals.

Andy
gets 11-5 and still can't get there often enough to win

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard that as well, top guys run balls better than us mortals.

Andy
gets 11-5 and still can't get there often enough to win

I can run balls with just about anyone in one pocket.
The top guys bank better and out move me and miss less often so I get less chances to run balls.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should the adjustment be
player B gets 9-6
player B get 10-7

Giving up the break(if the guy can break ok) is big. I'd go 10-7 then 9-7 & the break.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Should the adjustment be
player B gets 9-6
player B get 10-7

You can work out a spot table based on the ideas of FargoRate. Below is a table of the equivalent FargoRate difference between skill levels and fair spots.

After 9-7, the next greater spot commonly played is 8-6, the equivalent of a 6-point adjustment. If you want to adjust half of that much, play 8-6 on the stronger player's break and 9-7 on the weaker player's break. That would be a change of 3 FargoRate points which is pretty much nothing.

For more details, see the November 2019 issue of Billiards Digest.

The break as a spot depends on the players. For some players it is a disadvantage to break because the corner ball comes out so often.

CropperCapture[425].png

The green-shaded games are within one ball of 15 balls -- either one ball spots at the start or one ball is left at the end.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Using the rating format above, you can use the FargoRate tools to figure out what the rating difference is given two players' win/loss ratio. Suppose in the 9-7 spot the better player has won 62% of the games. If you stick 9-7 into the FargoRate tool and fiddle with the rating difference until you get 62% wins, you find that the rating difference is 60 rating points.

Looking at the table above, that means that 9-6 would be the fairest spot. You might want to alternate 9-7/9-6 for a while.:wink:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using the rating format above, you can use the FargoRate tools to figure out what the rating difference is given two players' win/loss ratio. Suppose in the 9-7 spot the better player has won 62% of the games. If you stick 9-7 into the FargoRate tool and fiddle with the rating difference until you get 62% wins, you find that the rating difference is 60 rating points.

Looking at the table above, that means that 9-6 would be the fairest spot. You might want to alternate 9-7/9-6 for a while.:wink:

thats a good idea.
the problem being is two old farts like us would get confused.
we are so bad we stopped alternating pockets because we couldn't remember who had what pocket.
so now I take right pocket and him the left.
doing this does give him a little extra edge as we are both right handed meaning I have to use the bridge and stretch out a little more often.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[/B]

thats a good idea.
the problem being is two old farts like us would get confused.
we are so bad we stopped alternating pockets because we couldn't remember who had what pocket.
doing this does give him a little extra edge as we are both right handed meaning I have to use the bridge and stretch out a little more often.
Kinda depends on the player. Sometimes 10-7 might be better if the player getting the spot shoots ok. Only making a guy go to 6 depends on his level of play. If you're givin' up weight you usually want to make your opponent have to make as many as possible.One more for you is not as heavy as for the other guy. Not really a hard-n-fast rule to this.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
[/B] ... the problem being is two old farts like us would get confused.
Well, yes, but... How do you ever remember who broke the previous game?:grin:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, yes, but... How do you ever remember who broke the previous game?:grin:
I'd laugh except for the fact this happens all the time with my guys. I'm lucky the guy i play the most is a lefty and he always takes the left hole and me the right. We still get mixed on whose break it is. ;)

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i suspet i have had more experience getting big spots than anyone

if i am getting weieght and need more,it is to my advantage to lower the number of balls i make
if i were giving weight it is much less for me to make an extra ball,than it is to require him to make less

the weaker player should always get the break or he will be going straight up hill

if i am offered 10 to 5
i would ask fot 9 to 5 and the pop

even 8 to 5 and the pop

i know this works best for me because when the better player gets out of the break it spells doom for the weaker player unless he banks very good

for the weaker player

going from 10 to 7 and losing
getting 11to 7 is not much,not much of an adjustment
9 to 6 is better
10 to 6 is more likely to mean a differce

most good players know more about adjustments than weaker players do
and they might offer to go to 12 up 2
if i only go up 1 ball to 8

this is a false adjustment

qfans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spots

I like player B getting 9-6 on player A’s break and 9-7 on B’s break, then 9-6 on whoever breaks. I think 10-7 still favors A. I’ve been run over giving one ball or freewheeled, think the breaking adjustment avoids that, just my opinion. Been playing a lot ofScotch one hole and it seems to work well with that game!

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deanoc you know its

Give what it takes to get them to play, not what they need to win.:wink: