'Sharp' full splice points

fugdbdt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Full splice points are allways sharp at the front. However.. occasionally
you see points that are sharp where they come together at the base as well. How is this possible? I understand the forehand piece... because it just has to be knifed paper thin at the base. But my bandsaw will not cut
a sharp enough ''V'' at the handle end. The blade does not wander the least bit, but it's .032 thick and has a .048 set. Im not aware of a blade less thin than this. Could the grove be finished off in the crotch with some other tool?

bapage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sharp points

I was wondering the same thing also. I have seen some pics of cue builders making full splice cues using a belt sander after the band saw .. maybe that is how they can get the points sharp at the bottom. I do not know, but maybe some that DO know will chime in for us all. -bp

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have wondered the same thing. Apparently Mark Bear is noted for this. But I don't know how he does it. Does anybody else do it regularly?

geocheren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have wondered the same thing. Apparently Mark Bear is noted for this. But I don't know how he does it. Does anybody else do it regularly?

Darren hill makes his own full splices, he perfected his technique over the years to make double sharp full splice with veneers. He even has a thread on how he made a particular cue.

his recent full splice cues: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=254198
Full splice step by step: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=210048

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren hill makes his own full splices, he perfected his technique over the years to make double sharp full splice with veneers. He even has a thread on how he made a particular cue.

his recent full splice cues: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=254198
Full splice step by step: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=210048

Mr Hill makes beautiful cues, but every one in those pics DOES NOT have sharp bottom points. Only the tops are sharp.

In fact, in the step by step thread, he actually didn't get the bottom points right and solved it by hiding the mistake with inlays. This is a common method and often why the wrap covers the bottom of points in a full splice.

Mr Bear has points that are sharp at the bottom, not just the top. As far as I know his method is a closely guarded secret....but I am no expert and maybe some of the cue makers here know how it is done or actually do it.

Heck, it may not even be Mr Bear, I could be remembering wrong, but I thought it was him that did it. Maybe it's Mr Whisler? One of the two....I'm sure a Google search will reveal it.

In any case I was under the impression that sharp at both the top and bottom was a special technique and not at all common.

Again, no disrespect meant, Mr Hill makes beautiful cues, but none that I see in those pics or that I have seen of his elsewhere have sharp points at the bottom of the splice.

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
only 2 guys in the world for sure that i know of that can do it, whisler and dmitry.....the other guy that maybe can but you won't see any of them would be Prather. There not conventional full splice blanks.

Larry, i guess you need to hurry up and get one done, add your name to a short list:D

Graciocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking your on your own on this one. I have hours and hours of trial and error in hopes of finding a faster more economical technique.

I can do it but it adds more labor to the build then I'm comfortable charging for such a small detail.

It's not that complicated. Start cutting.

fugdbdt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wrong, it's not Bear, it's Whisler that does it:

http://www.whislercues.com/whislerfullsplicecues.htm

You see? sharp top and bottom points. He uses a re-cut method to do this, not veneers.

The proper term for this might be V-Groove points? But I am not sure.

Actually, i have seen one recently with veneers. I can find out where it came from.

The forehand piece is probably more tricky than it appears. Obviously the rear piece would have to be perfectly square unless you use the headstock method as does Hightower. I dont believe a sander can clean up that V. Some smaller bandsaws can use a .014 blade. Scroll saws have a thin blade as well, but the ones i have seen are pretty jerky. Im leaning toward a smaller bandsaw so far. Or possibly a 1/8th blade for my 17'' bandsaw.

geocheren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the 9th photo of the first hills cues link I posted, it looks like sharp bottom. Upon closer inspection, the bottom veneer aren't sharp, but hill does make several veneers sharp.

I find it amazing that they make full splice recut points

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
Jerry -R- makes fullsplice cues that are sharp on both ends.

Joe

Attachments

• 2011-05-19_02-48-57_437.jpg
    2011-05-19_02-48-57_437.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 664

fugdbdt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking your on your own on this one. I have hours and hours of trial and error in hopes of finding a faster more economical technique.

I can do it but it adds more labor to the build then I'm comfortable charging for such a small detail.

It's not that complicated. Start cutting.

Thanx for your response.

Last edited:

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
only 2 guys in the world for sure that i know of that can do it, whisler and dmitry.....the other guy that maybe can but you won't see any of them would be Prather. There not conventional full splice blanks.

Larry, i guess you need to hurry up and get one done, add your name to a short list:D

I'll get right on it! What goes good with padauk!

Larry

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
Sir... your the guy were looking for. Since it's not that complicated would you mind throwing us a bone? This thread was not about how timely or difficult it is. I think we all expected that much. If you could enlighten us on what to start cutting with, no disrespect but maybe your tecnique can be improved on. Obviously Davis would agree with this. Like anything else, after a person accomplishes something, they can then determine if it's worth repeating... as you did. Thanx for your input.

So basically Scott spends tons of time, headaches and money and you think he should hand over the magic recipe?

Who is the Davis your referring too?