All of this talk about building pool...

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the Love of the Game.

The game is very much like golf. You can play it but...

you'll never conquer it.

So...It's the Challenge.

THIS! There's no one guarding you and the only person that can stop you is yourself. If/when you keep your focus it is amazing how great you can be. Lose focus for a second/minute/hour and you'll think these are the most impossible games ever.

CoreyClark

Registered
Pool always fascinated me as a kid, especially after watching good players play and then realize how they made something I couldn't do look easy. I wanted to learn to do it and was hooked, especially with the social aspect playing with friends. It's also nice seeing improvement over time, though I still am pretty bad, so at least I can keep looking forward to improving for quite some time :)

BigNBeefY

Just Stopping By
Silver Member
All forms of pool have such a high skill ceiling... those of us who have grown up competing in organized sports or compete daily in the workplace can appreciate how such a seemingly simple game is endlessly challenging. I have never struggled with any game like i do with pool which keeps me coming back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As others have said...because I love it. It makes me happy. There are very few things I truly enjoy doing on my own...pool and golf are the only two I can think of. I can happily spend many hours at either pursuit. If I had a home table I would be playing all the time as I just don't get bored at a pool table...frustrated sometimes, but never bored.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Sat. several different reasons, but lately, it has been to get away from the wife.

I love the look and feel of a nice cue in my hands. Sometimes, I wish that I could do my weapon of war, more justice.

I have never cared much for games or competition in my life. In other words, I could care less if I won or lost at anything. I was driven by other forces in life.

This is the one game that drives me to beat my competition, or at least, beat the table.

I love learning things. So this game, with all the little nuances pushes me to learn more, or all that I can ingest.

A few more.

I feel more comfortable in a poolroom than anywhere else.

Had to borrow one from Philly. Plus, I am not shy about having a few beer. Bar food etc.

Does this statement show a bit about someone's character. I hope so, or it should.

Without the game of pool, I would have never purchased lathes and found the wonderful hobby of repairing pool cues. I love working with my hands, specially wood work, so this was right up my alley. Hopefully in time, I will be able to start playing with my own home built cues.

Nice Thread Sat. It is a breath of fresh air as of late.

Last edited:

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play because the game brings me joy that nothing else can, and what keeps me going is that the game encompasses every aspect of life and requires you to balance the harmony of the mind and body while at the same time allowing for endless elevation should one choose to keep moving. But should one ever find contentment, and go idle, then the joy is still there all the same. The game itself is infinite and perfect.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it's like golf, darts, chess, cricket. A light goes off and wallah! I love the atmosphere of a poolroom even more so now that gals are playing. Each table being played has a story. Gambling, sport, fun. It is a fine way to get some exercise and improve co-ordination. Meat people and develop a personality.

I do not know why it's not promoted more. Young people have nowhere to gather but Malls. The Associations should be spending some $$ to promote it.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I was going to save this one for the Funny Gif thread because of the abbreviated four letter words.

Attachments

• 10427308_649471288497062_6847741758108041535_n.jpg
    10427308_649471288497062_6847741758108041535_n.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 226

lost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got me to wondering, what is the most popular motivation for playing this game.

Why do you play?

Because my legs won't hold up for tennis anymore, and I need a knee operation before I can play golf again, and frankly its the easiest game I ever played. If you have any hand eye coordination at all. I picked it right back up after not playing for 25 years

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I enjoy it. I like the competition also. I like that no matter what I can always get better at it.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play because I like the game, always have, always will. I like gambling & playing tournaments and do enjoy the extra money.

I'm 72, with two broken up legs, a back that's been injured in 6 places & can't see that good. But as long as I'm having fun & making a couple bucks, you'll find me at MaGoos.

I don't think very many would be there without the liquor, gambling & comraderie, because all skill levels enjoy a wager of some sort, something to drink & somebody to do it with.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

you'll never conquer it.

So...It's the Challenge.

It also teases one with glimpses of one's possible greatness within The Game before it brings one back down to reality.

The Game Challenges us to try to find & then to try to keep 'perfection'.

My Dad introduced me to the game when I was 13.

It's a game.

'Children'...like to play games.

AND regardless of the current politically correct sensitivity of some...

'Children' like to WIN. It gives them a sense of physical &/or mental accomplishment.

Losing can also be a good thing as it puts things into perspective & makes one appreciate what it takes to accomplish a win. Children know.

We're all just 'Children' when you get right down to it.

We want to Play and...we want to Win.

So...It's the Challenge... & this game challenges one both physically & mentally.

If we had our chance at the table & did not win, then we lost. It really has nothing to do with the opponent. If he or she had their chance at the table & did not win, then they lost.

Sometimes it's just a matter of finding out who the better 'loser' is, because...

'The Game is the Winner'. We keep coming back to 'Her' because We Love 'Her' & the Challenges that 'She' presents to Us.

We keep coming back because We Accept the Challenge & We Love the Pursuit.

Take everything said here with a big grain of salt & call a Doctor in the morning.

PS This game can be played in an Air Conditioned Environment & usually without physical pain & with no sweating or freezing. The game has it's advantages over some others. Although one does not normally mind pain if a WIN came along with it & sometimes one does not even mind the pain if they did not even get a win as long as the game was well played.

You said what I was getting ready to write. We think along the same lines.

It is like the song..."Impossible Dream". Everyone "dreams" of one day waking up and having it "figured out" and "perfected", but nobody has ever been able to do that. I have missed SO MANY, MANY, MANY 527 ball runs to beat Mosconi's record that I cant count them. It was all because I missed on something that was hundreds of balls below that. If I ONLY could have made that ONE shot when it COUNTED, I could have done it...trust me boys. That is the mentality. It was only that one miss on a ball that you made a thousand times before that stopped you.

It is the "Quest To Be The BEST"...even if you will never get there. It is the dream "if I could only get it right just this one time, I'll be over the hurdle".

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Isn't that the absolute truth Icon. I got schooled by a another player on the weekend on his playing style and I'm liking it.

The guy showed me a few things than made it almost necessary to forget pretty much all that I thought that I knew up until then.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

you'll never conquer it.

So...It's the Challenge.

It also teases one with glimpses of one's possible greatness within The Game before it brings one back down to reality.

The Game Challenges us to try to find & then to try to keep 'perfection'.

My Dad introduced me to the game when I was 13.

It's a game.

'Children'...like to play games.

AND regardless of the current politically correct sensitivity of some...

'Children' like to WIN. It gives them a sense of physical &/or mental accomplishment.

Losing can also be a good thing as it puts things into perspective & makes one appreciate what it takes to accomplish a win. Children know.

We're all just 'Children' when you get right down to it.

We want to Play and...we want to Win.

So...It's the Challenge... & this game challenges one both physically & mentally.

If we had our chance at the table & did not win, then we lost. It really has nothing to do with the opponent. If he or she had their chance at the table & did not win, then they lost.

Sometimes it's just a matter of finding out who the better 'loser' is, because...

'The Game is the Winner'. We keep coming back to 'Her' because We Love 'Her' & the Challenges that 'She' presents to Us.

We keep coming back because We Accept the Challenge & We Love the Pursuit.

Take everything said here with a big grain of salt & call a Doctor in the morning.

PS This game can be played in an Air Conditioned Environment & usually without physical pain & with no sweating or freezing. The game has it's advantages over some others. Although one does not normally mind pain if a WIN came along with it & sometimes one does not even mind the pain if they did not even get a win as long as the game was well played.

Good post. I understand the WINNING part, I was always a winner in my childhood & did quite well in the college level too.

In my Old Age, when I come home from a stupid loss, I might play until the wee hours to get me back in the groove. Can't hardly sleep with a stupid loss, hung in my throat. Winning is everything, but I have learned in my time that not everyday will I get to bask in that sunlight, so I try to keep my GENTLEMAN's hat close by.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This topic, with some variation, comes up from time to time. I have posted the following passage a few times now, but maybe some new eyes will see it here. It's the best thing I've ever read about the appeal of the game of pool (or billiards). Beauty ... heart ... renewal -- it's all there in two brief paragraphs.

Playing Off The Rail, by David McCumber, Random House, 1996, pages 276-277. It is presented as the author's thoughts while watching a masterfully played 9-ball match.

"Tony broke, and made two balls, and I could see the table unfold in my mind, and I knew he could see it even better, and would run it. As he made the shots I was overpowered by the beauty of this game, at once immutably logical, governed by physical inevitabilities, and at the same time infinitely poetic and varied. This game at its best, as it was being played before me, had the transcendent power of a Handel chorus.

I thought about what an impressive mental exercise it was for Tony, after a miserable session against an unremarkable player two hours earlier, to reinvent himself so completely. It was a question of heart, a gathering of everything stored inside a man, a refusal to fall after stumbling. It was a very rare thing for a player to take such advantage of the game's intrinsic quality of renewal, the fresh start with each match, each rack, each shot. Nothing pharmaceutical could ever exceed the jolt of bliss that comes with the self-mastery that sort of play entails: knowing the ball is going in, knowing the cue ball is going to stop precisely where you willed it to, knowing that the next shot is going in too. I thought of Willie Hoppe, running an astonishing twenty-five billiards in an exhibition in 1918, seeing all those rails and angles and spins and caroms in his head like presents waiting to be opened. It was no accident that Hoppe was the most disciplined and controlled player of his era. Power over the cue ball, over the object ball, is power over ourselves. It is the sweetest irony that pool has gathered the reputation of being a game for louts and idlers, when, to be played well, it demands such incredible discipline of movement, of thinking, of emotion."​

Last edited: