Anybody found a good way to straighten a shaft?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ignore it.

It will fade with memory.

If it really can't be ignored then it is too warped to play with and should be replaced.

But don't throw it away. Send it to me so I can ignore it.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Warped shafts are not all alike...I bought a Predator 314 that had been abused and developed a warp as a result. I used the Jacoby method (with a screwdriver) and it became usable (but not 100%, just a tiny taper roll). I had a different shaft that was really thick and had never been used (new old stock) that had become badly warped for no apparent reason. I tried everything, steam, Jacoby method, etc..But it immidiately returned to its warped state. I gave it away to a repair guy. I don't know what he wanted it for, but I do know that there was no way to get that back to being straight.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Ignore it.

It will fade with memory.

If it really can't be ignored then it is too warped to play with and should be replaced.

But don't throw it away. Send it to me so I can ignore it.

I've got a one for ya Doc. Really old Scruggs. Pm me an address & you can ignore it for awhile. I've put in 20 years ignoring it in a case in the closet.

I've seen your Fellini key collection, you're the perfect man for the job.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This straightens my shaft for up to 4 hours at a time

aruSfw

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is your advice the same for hard to come by shafts such as the original Predator 314 shafts? I have two of them and one of them has warped a decent amount in the last several years.

I would like to know if there is a way of straightening it because those shafts are north of $200 in decent used condition from what I have seen. Would rather try to fix it instead of throw it away if possible,

I would say, "Cut your losses, and get new shafts." It might be good to talk to Predator and tell them your situation and concerns, maybe they would be able to give you a discount or something.

I wish you the best of rolls,

Ken

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
To the OP don't list too this, I've straighten a few shafts David Jabocay showed me how.
He has a tool that he sells and it works good.

After you use that tool it will leave a mark or groove like on your shaft take a high grit sand paper sand it off it be just fine. After that lay it on a flat table and put a few heavy books
on the shaft with the bow up, leave it for a couple days and it will be good to go.

I did this and it worked for me but after 3 weeks just a little bit of roll out came back and
it wasn't as bad as it started out to be.
So I repeated the process and now my shaft has been straight for a year an half. Also I'm
not a sales person for Jacoby ether.

I watched a guy at the pool hall use that tool the other night and it worked fine. The owner of the shaft was definitely happy.

Jeff Livingston

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
After 5 or 6 racks I bend it straight on the table or when I miss, whatever comes first. 7 years or 100,000 miles.
Straight pool after about 75 she needs a slight adjustment, bunting them isn't as hard on the old gal

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is your advice the same for hard to come by shafts such as the original Predator 314 shafts? I have two of them and one of them has warped a decent amount in the last several years.

I would like to know if there is a way of straightening it because those shafts are north of $200 in decent used condition from what I have seen. Would rather try to fix it instead of throw it away if possible,

Wood is not un-warpable.

Dale

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Print out a picture of Sofia Vergara.
Wrap it around your shaft for 5 minutes.
If that does not straighten your shaft its hopeless.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Don't you just hate posts about images that don't have images in them?

iu

I posted a big picture for obvious reasons.

Jeff Livingston