Your in a slump: shoot through it or fast?

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah,it's a losing cause

slump my fanny
this is the real you

get over those postive self affirmation

you are lying to yourself

thisis the best you will ever play

expect to get worse

pay no attention to these zealots who tell you to cheer up
a slump is never a good time to examine anything but your head fpr playing pool

all those memories of good play in the past are false memories
you never were any good
you know it deep down and the rest of us always knew

the reason you never bet high was because you were afraid of dogging your brains out

fear of losing was bad
but you were afraid of looking bad

how sick can you get

give up the game while you can
a slump is a great time for quitting

look in the mirror,is that a guy you would bet $500 pr game on
no
that man is a dog with a dream

ask the little lady to take you back
promise to do right,you worthless pool wannabe

You are right,no matter how hard you try ,practice, take lessons,buy the best
equipment, whatever, it doesn't matter. THE REASON is all those good players
know a secret, and they're not letting us in on it. We should kidnap one of them
and torture them until they tell us. There is no way that those guys could make
all those balls,and do all that fancy stuff if they didn't know THE SECRET. I
have it on good authority that all these aiming systems are put out there to
confuse us so we don't ever discover THE SECRET. They sure confuse me.
So now I dog it more than usual, and I think I'm in a slump. What to do, work
harder at it, take time off, change cues, try a new aiming system ?. There is
no way to get good without THE SECRET. I've a good mind to snatch one of
those champions, tie him up and make him watch the View until he tells me THE
SECRET,so I can get out of this slump that I've been in since I started playing.
jack

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You two are worse than those 2 clowns, easy- e and black-balled.

And you words cut deep.

I am not gonna play pool for the rest of the week.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
You are right,no matter how hard you try ,practice, take lessons,buy the best
equipment, whatever, it doesn't matter. THE REASON is all those good players
know a secret, and they're not letting us in on it. We should kidnap one of them
and torture them until they tell us. There is no way that those guys could make
all those balls,and do all that fancy stuff if they didn't know THE SECRET. I
have it on good authority that all these aiming systems are put out there to
confuse us so we don't ever discover THE SECRET. They sure confuse me.
So now I dog it more than usual, and I think I'm in a slump. What to do, work
harder at it, take time off, change cues, try a new aiming system ?. There is
no way to get good without THE SECRET. I've a good mind to snatch one of
those champions, tie him up and make him watch the View until he tells me THE
SECRET,so I can get out of this slump that I've been in since I started playing.
jack

I already know what you are seeking. It is called T.O.S,

Touch Of Secret. ;)

Maniac (you have to pay for the information)

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Pool at a high level is about doing very subtle things well. Just making the shot is not good enough. Applying just the right tough of English to break out a cluster may be necessary. So yes, if you don't play regularly, these subtle skills will deteriorate.

The mental side of the game is yet another thing, but I was talking about the muscle memory physical aspects of a slump.

_______

You're correct..I agree....But that slump causes me to think too much and I get screwed up mentally...It's just me and how I am....Everyone was talking muscle memory so I thought I'd throw in the mental side...

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm right handed and if the chatterbox left side of my brain doesn't allow me to focus, I shoot a few games left handed, shutting that side down. Then I go back to shooting right handed

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I only play 5-6 months a year, so I never get better. Bright side by the time November gets here I want to play.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm right handed and if the chatterbox left side of my brain doesn't allow me to focus, I shoot a few games left handed, shutting that side down. Then I go back to shooting right handed

That’s interesting... I might have to try that..
the old left brain/right brain conundrum

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't gotten where I am today by not playing. The more I play, the more consistent I get. Simple as that.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I haven't gotten where I am today by not playing.

But....where are you? :thumbup:

This would have made a good poll. It seems to be running close to 50/50.

Me not being a competitive person by nature, find my self starting to get burned-out if I shoot pool for a lot of consecutive days. So as for me, I need to take a couple/few days off every now and then. But believe me when I say that after those few days off I am rarin' to get back to it.

Maniac

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
This happened to me recently.
I put my cues away until I was craving the felt.
When I finally came back I did not do my typical practice routine. I just threw balls out and ran them the first couple days. It took three or four weeks to get back in stroke with my confidence restored.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you beat your slump? Everyone is different. Do you shoot through your slump? Or do you simply give your game a break and stop shooting for a couple days?

Basketball , football etc shoot through it nothing is easy ! If you have tons on your mind you have to take a break to clear your head but if everything is good and it's just a pool slump then grind it out . The more hrs you put in the better ! Sometimes I don't play for a year at a time so when I come back I play so bad . I use to wonder if it would come back and now I know it takes me 3 days at 6 hrs per day to get back to normal . You have to grind through it in my opinion. good luck bud

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ll

Had to be honest about this. At my skill level it don't much matter and I don't see much difference in the results either way.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm up a couple pounds,
I've failed at fasting.
Fell a few feet,
bruised elbow twisted ankle,
denied the excuse's,
shot a 117 defeating a 78,
took the yellow 5 - 2.
Up a buck and half,
braking the loosing streak to
only to give it back racing too 2
8-ball. Yes, I'm giving it up
falling off a ladder,
don't tell my wife.
I'll shoot through it...

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...still in mojo mode,
shoot'n through it,
may be my best round yet,
128 - 59, won the yellow also 8 - 2,
certainly since the rules
seem to have come
to a consensuses,
thought you would want to no...

coxcol15

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been a great thread. When I originally posted, the goal was to find where everyone's head is at when the going gets tough. After all, this game is entirely driven by the mind. You can have all the physical ability in the world but if your head isn't right, talent is moot.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been a great thread. When I originally posted, the goal was to find where everyone's head is at when the going gets tough. After all, this game is entirely driven by the mind. You can have all the physical ability in the world but if your head isn't right, talent is moot.

The worst question you can ask yourself is "why did I miss that shot?" Your mind will generate a million ways you could have created that outcome. Do you really want a million rehearsals of how to go wrong? You can harness that same process by asking better questions.

What does that shot look like when it’s done right?

The head has its role and it’s not shooting the shot. Try to get it to a quiet spot. Line up, get down, wait for the mind to find a quiet moment. Stop and let the body choose when it will execute.

Park your mind. If it had to give detailed instructions of how to even pick up the cue you would never get to shoot that day. It needs to STFU, get out of the way and let the real player play.

People in the zone talk about how the mind seems to be in spectator mode. They feel disassociated because they aren’t actively trying to control things. Sharking is all about getting a player in his head. Ask him whether he breathes in or out when he shoots or does he hold his breath. Any question will work? Ask a question tell him to go ahead and shoot and answer you later. While he’s busy formulating his answer, his mind isn’t quiet.

I don’t initiate talk while in competition. I am polite if someone else speaks but also keep it brief. I try to start with a quiet mind before I get to the table. Make decisions away from the table, like Lee Brett advises. Commit there, too. You need to decide and commit before getting down otherwise your mind will not be quiet. Only then get down. Words like quiet, still or focused access our understanding of them. Once you go there, wait for the body to complete the shot chosen. See it, feel it and wait for it.