Delaminated Tip

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my original Revo tip from two years ago. Predator Victory (medium?). I’ve had a cue mechanic trim it down every 2 months or so. It is my first time experiencing this. It still played well but obviously I’m eager to replace it.

0df4d948a60eae18b7718769d2640b1c.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why did you have it trimmed every two months?

Perhaps there’s a slight exaggeration there. Pounding leather daily against a cue ball I assume will harden it whether a layered tip or single press. So some maintenance is needed. I’ve learned that using various tip tools can be helpful in a pinch but more likely to just give you an oddly formed tip if abused (or in novice hands like mine). There’s nothing I love more than a tip fresh from the razor blade off a lathe. So any time a cue mechanic was present I asked them to reshape the tip. Even if it had plenty of tip left. That was roughly every two months (but again, probably an exaggeration). Could have been every 2-6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
Happens sometimes, nothing special/weird.

If it had happened when the tip was taller you could have had it trimmed down to just below that layer, but in this case the tip will then be very thin. So, just re-tip it. 2 years is quite long to use a tip, some people like a fresh one every month or two (not me).

Regards, Dave

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've seen a few delaminations like this, several different brands, no one particular brand. In most cases, having talked to the owners, I found out that they are overly aggressive when they "scuff" their tips. With other delams, it's just the glue having come undone. It's not all that uncommon with laminated tips.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only tip i personally had this happen to was a brand new tip from "that Florida guy". Some off-brand tip he was touting on his site. That thing came apart as soon as my guy touched it with the blade. When told of this the Florida a-hole went OFF. Said it was my tech's fault(it wasn't). Other than that i've never had a laminated tip come apart.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Only tip i personally had this happen to was a brand new tip from "that Florida guy". Some off-brand tip he was touting on his site. That thing came apart as soon as my guy touched it with the blade. When told of this the Florida a-hole went OFF. Said it was my tech's fault(it wasn't). Other than that i've never had a laminated tip come apart.

What brand tip? You don't have to say the guy's name. Inquiring minds want to know.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience with layered tips is similar. As they become thinner from use, a trim exposes too many layers at the same time. For me, they tend to delaminate before becoming too thin to use safely. I switched to a Gator tool to rough my tips before each session, stopped trimming for shape, and have not had the problem since. The other option for me is to use single layer tips.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
When you have those tips reshaped or trimmed down on a lathe you must be very careful
with the turning speed. At too high a speed you generate too much heat and the glue
degrades quickly and the layered, laminated tip tends to sort of explode. It's sort of neat
to watch, as long as it's someone else's tip. Tip techs I think learn rather quickly to watch
the lathe speed when installing a laminated tip. This is what I suspect has happened here,
a little too much speed, a little too much heat, and the layers begin to fall off

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
tip tool.jpg

This is a great tool for shaping and scuffing laminated tips. It's grit is not too aggressive. The other models (the silver dime and the nickel shape) have a coarser grit.

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes certain tip tools can cause this. Like others have stated heat during install or moisture like wetting edges like some people do to burnish the tip, can cause delamination also.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP said tip was two yrs old. If it was used a lot the tip would get really compressed over time and be more likely to do this.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After the first layer peels up, I thought I would be able to trim past that layer and salvage the tips. However, in the two or three times I tried with my Willards tip tool, I was not successful. The layers were so compressed that the successive layers also delaminated during reshaping. .

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same tip.. 2 years? Pm me 3 numbers for the pic 3 lotto. Thanks in advance brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk