Value of "used" equipment
Old
  (#1)
funnyman
Registered
funnyman is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Value of "used" equipment - 08-29-2019, 06:42 PM

I'm aware of the rule of the thumb -- half of retail price is a starting point for the value of used cues. What about unused cues?

- Mid-range factory-made LD shaft
- Purchased from reputable dealer 2 years ago
- Both parties agree it's unused, unchalked and straight

Fair value is what percentage of the current retail price?

Thanks!

Old
  (#2)
mchnhed
I Came, I Shot, I Choked
mchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond reputemchnhed has a reputation beyond repute

08-29-2019, 09:12 PM

Remember....

No Tax
No Shipping Costs

So....10%-20% Off?

Unless you really want to sell it quickly then 30+%?
Everybody loves a bargain.

Once I got a new Carmeli Shaft for $75, I think it was about $125 normally.

Shoot Pool
Not People

Old
  (#3)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member
poolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond repute

08-29-2019, 09:17 PM

Well, a lot depends on who is selling it and their reputation.

If you can get five people on facebook to say how good the product is, great deal,

can't believe this didn't sell yet, and the seller is really a great guy the sky is the limit.

Then you have those people that say "if I had the money I'd buy it."

I call it the Open Billiards Market buddy system.

Just depends on what the item is I guess.

Old
  (#4)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

08-29-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyman View Post
I'm aware of the rule of the thumb -- half of retail price is a starting point for the value of used cues. What about unused cues?

Thanks!
Seems to me itís worth full retail if ltís straight

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#5)
juspooln
AzB Silver Member
juspooln has a reputation beyond reputejuspooln has a reputation beyond reputejuspooln has a reputation beyond reputejuspooln has a reputation beyond reputejuspooln has a reputation beyond reputejuspooln has a reputation beyond reputejuspooln has a reputation beyond reputejuspooln has a reputation beyond reputejuspooln has a reputation beyond reputejuspooln has a reputation beyond reputejuspooln has a reputation beyond repute

08-29-2019, 09:35 PM

it is the price at which a buyer, is willing to give the seller, enough cash to so O.K.

Bill Pelham
League Operator UPA of Jax
http://upatour.com

http://www.bhtip.com//

ďThe man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.Ē ó Lou Holtz

Old
  (#6)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

08-29-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
Used don't just mean it's been physically used. When a product has been purchased, it's technically used from that second on.

As to the value, I'd say ~60% of whatever they cost.

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#7)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

08-29-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolguy4u View Post

Well, a lot depends on who is selling it and their reputation.

If you can get five people on facebook to say how good the product is, great deal,

can't believe this didn't sell yet, and the seller is really a great guy the sky is the limit.

Then you have those people that say "if I had the money I'd buy it."

I call it the Open Billiards Market buddy system.

Just depends on what the item is I guess.

Yep. I can't believe the stuff people fall for.

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Old
  (#8)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

08-29-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
Used don't just mean it's been physically used. When a product has been purchased, it's technically used from that second on.

As to the value, I'd say ~60% of whatever they cost.
If I went to a store to buy a shaft full retail....and they had a brand new one just outta the
shop...and one theyíve had for two years but unused...and they were both straight...
...Iíd take the two year old one....itís proved it can stay straight.

Lionize your game.

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#9)
jimmyco
NRA4Life

jimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond reputejimmyco has a reputation beyond repute

08-29-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks!
LD has come a long way in two years.

Would think the seller is fortunate to get 50%.

Player-Bob Owen Custom
Breaker-N.E. O'Barqueue
Case-Rusty Melton 1x2

Old
  (#10)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member

08-30-2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
If I went to a store to buy a shaft full retail....and they had a brand new one just outta the
shop...and one theyíve had for two years but unused...and they were both straight...
...Iíd take the two year old one....itís proved it can stay straight.
Yep me too but, since we bought retail, we can carry it back for refund or replacement or at least repaired for free if it turns out defective.

Apple's to oranges IMO.

Buying used, come on PT, you know darn well you wouldn't give full retail. Sure I've seen it happen on REALLY, REALLY hard to find equipment but, I doubt that is the case or we would've heard about it already.

If you stick to that story, I respect it but, I still don't agree with the logic.

Jeff

Old
  (#11)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member

08-30-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyco View Post
LD has come a long way in two years.

Would think the seller is fortunate to get 50%.
I agree and everyone I know would as well.

Pool equipment doesn't exactly hold value very well. Hell, even most mid-level custom jobs lose value when they leave the shop.

Only high end equipment would hold that type value.

Old
  (#12)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-30-2019, 03:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
What something new, or used, is worth outside the retail setting depends on too many things to simply go with a rule of thumb.

Is the item in production and popular still after two years? If you have a two year old Wiz-bang 2 and the manufacturer just released the Wizbang 3 for the same price then you will probably need to price it low.

Let's say it's a popular shaft, still in production and easily available online for $300. You as an individual need to make it attractive to me to not just do two mouse clicks on Ebay or amazon or superbilliardswordonline.com and have it in 2-3 days. Pool players can be flakes at times and even if you aren't...I need an incentive to take that chance. For some buyers, being able to use a credit card is important. Are you able to do that? What about warranty? If is a set member of years it started when first purchased and now as a buyer I have to do all kinds of research to figure out if it is transferable and how to do it.
Buying from a retailer I can return it if I hate it. I wouldn't expect an individual to take a shaft back just because I changed my mind.

If the shaft in question was exactly what I was looking for and still in production I would want to be at 20-25% under the lowest available online retail price to be interested. If the shaft was never that popular or has gone out of favor then how much it would take to get me interested takes a big jump. 50% may excite me but no amount of discount is going to make me buy something I don't want.

If some random guy with a tanker truck is parked in an alley selling gasoline at 25% less than the going rate, sorry but I'm not taking that chance to save a few bucks. If my local gas station has 89 and 93 octane gasoline at 25% off I'm filling up my truck, car, SUV, motorcycle and 5 gallon cans. If they have diesel at 50% off I have no interest...nothing I own burns diesel and I don't own a tanker truck to buy fill it up and flip the fuel to someone who uses diesel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old
  (#13)
pt109
WO double hemlock

08-30-2019, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
Yep me too but, since we bought retail, we can carry it back for refund or replacement or at least repaired for free if it turns out defective.

Apple's to oranges IMO.

Buying used, come on PT, you know darn well you wouldn't give full retail. Sure I've seen it happen on REALLY, REALLY hard to find equipment but, I doubt that is the case or we would've heard about it already.

If you stick to that story, I respect it but, I still don't agree with the logic.

Jeff
Yeah...my point of view was as a player....an older shaft thatís straight is more valuable.
...from a business point of view, Iíve offered too much for a cue....and I have turned down
offers for some of my cues even though they were overly generous.

Lionize your game.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#14)
Sweatin'
AzB Silver Member
Sweatin' has a reputation beyond reputeSweatin' has a reputation beyond reputeSweatin' has a reputation beyond reputeSweatin' has a reputation beyond reputeSweatin' has a reputation beyond reputeSweatin' has a reputation beyond reputeSweatin' has a reputation beyond reputeSweatin' has a reputation beyond reputeSweatin' has a reputation beyond reputeSweatin' has a reputation beyond reputeSweatin' has a reputation beyond repute

08-30-2019, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
What something new, or used, is worth outside the retail setting depends on too many things to simply go with a rule of thumb.

Is the item in production and popular still after two years? If you have a two year old Wiz-bang 2 and the manufacturer just released the Wizbang 3 for the same price then you will probably need to price it low.

Let's say it's a popular shaft, still in production and easily available online for $300. You as an individual need to make it attractive to me to not just do two mouse clicks on Ebay or amazon or superbilliardswordonline.com and have it in 2-3 days. Pool players can be flakes at times and even if you aren't...I need an incentive to take that chance. For some buyers, being able to use a credit card is important. Are you able to do that? What about warranty? If is a set member of years it started when first purchased and now as a buyer I have to do all kinds of research to figure out if it is transferable and how to do it.
Buying from a retailer I can return it if I hate it. I wouldn't expect an individual to take a shaft back just because I changed my mind.

If the shaft in question was exactly what I was looking for and still in production I would want to be at 20-25% under the lowest available online retail price to be interested. If the shaft was never that popular or has gone out of favor then how much it would take to get me interested takes a big jump. 50% may excite me but no amount of discount is going to make me buy something I don't want.

If some random guy with a tanker truck is parked in an alley selling gasoline at 25% less than the going rate, sorry but I'm not taking that chance to save a few bucks. If my local gas station has 89 and 93 octane gasoline at 25% off I'm filling up my truck, car, SUV, motorcycle and 5 gallon cans. If they have diesel at 50% off I have no interest...nothing I own burns diesel and I don't own a tanker truck to buy fill it up and flip the fuel to someone who uses diesel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Your screen name is certainly apropos.

But I'm afraid you'll never get anywhere trying to inject said logic and plain ol' common sense. A little hyperbole and emotion might be a better approach.

Old
  (#15)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-30-2019, 06:20 AM

supply and demand always plays a big part in value decisions so there can certainly be some variability.

for me, as an example, if Seybert's Meuller or Neilsen's best sale price on a shaft is say $200 shipped, it would need to be $160 shipped or close to it for me to be interested to get it from a secondary source.

And, the secondary seller would need to have good rep.

best,
brian kc

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: