Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page where do you hit on the cb to make a spot shot?
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
where do you hit on the cb to make a spot shot?
Old
  (#1)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

where do you hit on the cb to make a spot shot? - 05-09-2020, 12:03 PM

and off the rail?

'specially to that fella that hit 1000 in a row, please feel free to chime in

A billiard table is that richest of metaphors,
by turns a theatre, an altar, touchstone, gauntlet,
ritual ground, a gunfighter's high noon, a refuge,
a verdant landscape for balls to scatter and rest in meaningful synchronicity,
a classroom, a karma dance, mirror of moods, a guide and trusted friend...

-- from grissim's "billiards"

Old
  (#2)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-09-2020, 12:06 PM

Vertical axis
rolling cue ball

Old
  (#3)
Korsakoff
AzB Gold Member
Korsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond reputeKorsakoff has a reputation beyond repute

05-09-2020, 12:38 PM

To finish a warm up, I often freeze the cue ball to the Head Rail at the center diamond and place a money ball on the Foot Spot. I make it in the Left corner pocket then respot the ball and make it in the right corner pocket.

Center follow at pocket speed, maybe a bit faster. Make them both without a miss and I'm typically ready to play.

where do you hit on the cb to make a spot shot?
Old
  (#4)
MattPoland
AzB Silver Member
MattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond repute

where do you hit on the cb to make a spot shot? - 05-09-2020, 12:41 PM

At the end of the day I think they are just another shot. I avoid side spin if I can. Iíll either roll it in or load it up with top or bottom depending on what the shot demands. I just avoid stunning the cueball because that feels like a scratch. Iím not afraid to use side spin on just about any shot but only if position calls for it. Iím never one to put helper English on shots.

EDIT: Didnít intend to be a quote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old
  (#5)
slach
AzB Silver Member
slach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond repute

05-09-2020, 12:45 PM

Put the cue ball on the kitchen line one diamond from the side rail. A center hit rolling half ball hit (center of cue ball aimed right at edge of object ball) will make it.

Last edited by slach; 05-09-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Old
  (#6)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

05-09-2020, 01:02 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0nu1M0xH_A

Old
  (#7)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

05-09-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergruven View Post
... 'specially to that fella that hit 1000 in a row, please feel free to chime in
You mean Spot Shot Kenny. There's a video of him shooting spot shots. He puts the cue ball on the head spot. I don't think Kenny has ever posted here.

... edit ... see post 60 in this thread: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=6263

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 05-09-2020 at 02:48 PM.

Old
  (#8)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

05-09-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rosato View Post
interesting
I guess he says look at the edge of the ob to help aim
but if I actually hit the edge of the ob, I would overcut it
I'd like to try it tho

I asked about the rail version because honestly,
that's the shot I've practiced
I've seldom shot proper spot shots in practice, or in a game
off the rail, I naturally put a little outside english on the ball
and make contact just a little inside the ball
of where I would with a rolling cb
but as time goes on, I'm trying to use less side
if for no other reason, than to be familiar shooting up and down

thanks all for the replies-

Old
  (#9)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

05-09-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
You mean Spot Shot Kenny. There's a video of him shooting spot shots. He puts the cue ball on the head spot. I don't think Kenny has ever posted here.

... edit ... see post 60 in this thread: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=6263
thanks bob
I'd seen that but don't think I'd noticed he was shooting off the head spot
impressive..I guess that would be at least a little more difficult than shooting closer to the rail
but maybe it's easier? like in johnny's post, maybe aiming/hitting the edge every time is easier
than having to deal with the rest of the ob

also, per my original curiousness
it looks like kenny is shooting with a bit of outside..?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFLQeV4kvMc

cheers

Old
  (#10)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

05-09-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rosato View Post
He is placing the cue ball too far towards the center of the table for a half-ball hit. His stick should be passing over some part of the corner pocket. This is pretty simple geometry and he got it wrong.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 05-09-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Old
  (#11)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member

05-09-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergruven View Post
... it looks like kenny is shooting with a bit of outside..?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFLQeV4kvMc
It's often hard to tell what a player will actually do on the stroke. You should be able to tell whether he uses side spin by where the cue ball goes. That will also tell you whether you have side spin. Does your cut-left spot shot go along a similar path as your cut-right spot shot?

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#12)
Bavafongoul
AzB Silver Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

05-09-2020, 03:52 PM

Generally about 3/4 of a tip above center for a spot shot from the kitchen.

When the cue ball is frozen to head rail, you only have the top 1/8 or maybe
1/4 of the cue ball to stroke so I shoot center ball and reposition my grip or
my hand to only a couple of inches from the top of the cue’s wrap. I use a
piston movement & stroke the ball medium speed using 3-4” follow through.

I have an Elephant training cue ball that’s 1/2 white and 1/2 red. I shoot using
that ball doing both these practice shots so I can spot any wiggle or wobble on
the cue ball that can inadvertently throw the object ball off upon being contacted.

The goal is to stroke the cue ball where the vertical roll is steady as a straight
line or as close as you can attain. Not many players can just take the cue ball
and stroke it from the kitchen on a 9 ft table to the end rail and back to the head
rail totally wiggle free 4-5x or more in a row. You can’t pound the cue ball or you
defeat the purpose of seeing your stroke in action because velocity hides flaws.

After you know you can stroke the cue ball completely in a perpendicular roll and
not have any horizontal wiggle, or a very minuscule amount, spot shots are simple.

"My Pool Cues"

*Bob Owen Custom- Level 8 (s/d 4-24-16) - Flat Ivory Joint
*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 6 (s/d 5-4-16) - Flat Ivory Joint

*J. Rauenzahn Custom - Level 8 (s/d 2-23-15) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Ed Prewitt Custom '05 - Level 8 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen Custom - Level 8 (s/d 5-4-14) - Flat Ivory Joint
*Tim Scruggs Custom (05-95) Level 7 - Flat Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon (03-85) Custom "R" Series (1 of 1)
*Palmer (Original) - '72 (All Cocobolo Wood)

Old
  (#13)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

05-09-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
It's often hard to tell what a player will actually do on the stroke. You should be able to tell whether he uses side spin by where the cue ball goes. That will also tell you whether you have side spin. Does your cut-left spot shot go along a similar path as your cut-right spot shot?
right..great point
myself, I shoot where I aim (at least I try to)
so I probably do put more stock in others' aim
than I should
and it's a great reminder to keep an eye on the ol' jawbreaker, anyway
thanks bob!

Old
  (#14)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-09-2020, 04:22 PM

High and touch of outside for me...presuming I'm not playing shape on another ball.

So keep your nose clean keep it on a shoe string
With no opposing no undue disclosing
Nothing stale nothing old or decomposing
Nothing empty nothing bold or over knowing
Nothing more than tasteful reconstruction
Of the plot that edifies all our instructions
It's on the goodness of our dime that you can function

Old
  (#15)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member

05-09-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavafongoul View Post
Generally about 3/4 of a tip above center for a spot shot from the kitchen.

When the cue ball is frozen to head rail, you only have the top 1/8 or maybe
1/4 of the cue ball to stroke so I shoot center ball and reposition my grip or
my hand to only a couple of inches from the top of the cueís wrap. I use a
piston movement & stroke the ball medium speed using 3-4Ē follow through.

I have an Elephant training cue ball thatís 1/2 white and 1/2 red. I shoot using
that ball doing both these practice shots so I can spot any wiggle or wobble on
the cue ball that can inadvertently throw the object ball off upon being contacted.

The goal is to stroke the cue ball where the vertical roll is steady as a straight
line or as close as you can attain. Not many players can just take the cue ball
and stroke it from the kitchen on a 9 ft table to the end rail and back to the head
rail totally wiggle free 4-5x or more in a row. You canít pound the cue ball or you
defeat the purpose of seeing your stroke in action because velocity hides flaws.

After you know you can stroke the cue ball completely in a perpendicular roll and
not have any horizontal wiggle, or a very minuscule amount, spot shots are simple.
cheers bava
I looked at the elephant cb online..unique-looking tool
do you say 4-5x on the up and down is tough
because doing anything one time is easy? or ?
I admire the statement "velocity hides flaws"
and agree that nuance is often lost in a burst of power/speed
doing things slowly tells the truth or what's right and wrong
it might seem like a waste of time
but even when we can run
I find much value in walking

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: