Any Pool Ball Collectors on AZ? Let's trade!

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Hamburger" speckled balls....

These also came in various sizes from full 2 1/4" down to tiny toy size... I have owned 3 sizes of these, but I like to trade the parlor balls down to the smallest size I can get for space reasons so I downsize traded for the tiny ones. These balls came with all 15 balls the same color, including a cueball made to look the same. Nobody has found them pictured in a catalog, but collectors think that there was an economy set with no numbers, which would have been pretty much 15 hamburger cueballs. All-red or economy sets were a mystery for a while as to their purpose, but then an old A.E. Schmidt catalog surfaced which explained that bank pool players used to favor them having no markings. As you can see, they look like uncooked hamburger meat.
The only set I have ever seen in the box, presumed to be original, was the "Ivorette" ball box.

Attachments

• hamb.jpg
    hamb.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 487

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I see that ivory balls are now described as "Ox Bone" on Ebay. Here is a standard set of three carom balls that went for over $600, and in not particularly good condition. Details on the condition of the box were not stated, such as whether the printing was in good condition on the lid.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330685160774
There are some pretty good pictures to show what ivory is like.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob!

Good input. Everyone has caught on to the "ox bone" thing, so those who were afraid to sell their ivory balls are now putting them on eBay in droves. The thing I like about that is that we now see how non-rare ivory billiard balls really are. Now ivory pool balls, those are EXTREMELY rare, especially in good condition.

murdoc23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a question for the ball collectors out there... Today at the flea market I found a set of old, crackled "baseball" ball set. (Balls numbered 16 - 21) Are these baseball sets as valued as the standard 1-15 sets? More? Less?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Had a question for the ball collectors out there... Today at the flea market I found a set of old, crackled "baseball" ball set. (Balls numbered 16 - 21) Are these baseball sets as valued as the standard 1-15 sets? More? Less?
They're not rare depending on the design. A set of playable clay baseball balls would probably be around $100 or $200.

We had such a set at the PH where I played around 1980 and had a few games with them using them with the regular plastic 1-15. They were quite a bit heavier than the plastics.

In the Stellingas' book is a set from about 1890 in good condition with the original box that is quoted at $700+.