Billiard Chalk collecors' thread....let's trade!

Dana Bufalo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rolling Rock

Rolling%20Rock%201_zpshk7x6khw.jpg

Rolling%20Rock%202_zps6sisa7x3.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bugs Bunny chalk? I wonder if it was connected to any sort of promotion. They should have gotten Tweeten to make it, though.

Last edited:

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
anyone start collecting chalk lately?

Looking for new collectors of interesting chalks to connect and trade with, or just show off interesting ones you may have found......

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andy's question - chalk coloring

Andy, a member, asked a question about chalk origins. Here is some interesting info.
Early colored chalk was colored with a dye called Myosotis (The brand AMPN Myosotis was marketed in many different forms, even after the formula changed to silica.) Myosotis is another name for the Forget-Me-Not flower, and this chalk came from Italy. On some of the boxes there is a patent number but it does not say which country the patent number is from. Probably Spain, where the chalk box was found.
Brunswick's colored chalk, at least four varieties patented in 1885, was green, not Myosotis blue. Early in American billiards, late 1800s, colored chalk in America was rare and came from France according to American magazines such as Billiards Magazine, but the "French" chalk was probably relabeled from Italian AMPN Myosotis. Finally, there is Czechoslovakian chalk, which was probably calcium carbonate.....but all the types I've seen labeled "made in Czechoslovakia" were not clean white, but a dirty looking white with kind of a greyish tint to it. Popular, British Bulldog, Masterpiece, all these had a dirty tint to them that did not look like a dye job but rather a lack of dye in an ugly material. White chalk clung like silica to its market share alongside silica chalk until the 1910-1915 era, then thankfully disappeared. Hope someone finds this useful.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Andy, a member, asked a question about chalk origins. Here is some interesting info.
Early colored chalk was colored with a dye called Myosotis (The brand AMPN Myosotis was marketed in many different forms, even after the formula changed to silica.) Myosotis is another name for the Forget-Me-Not flower, and this chalk came from Italy. On some of the boxes there is a patent number but it does not say which country the patent number is from. Probably Spain, where the chalk box was found.
Brunswick's colored chalk, at least four varieties patented in 1885, was green, not Myosotis blue. Early in American billiards, late 1800s, colored chalk in America was rare and came from France according to American magazines such as Billiards Magazine, but the "French" chalk was probably relabeled from Italian AMPN Myosotis. Finally, there is Czechoslovakian chalk, which was probably calcium carbonate.....but all the types I've seen labeled "made in Czechoslovakia" were not clean white, but a dirty looking white with kind of a greyish tint to it. Popular, British Bulldog, Masterpiece, all these had a dirty tint to them that did not look like a dye job but rather a lack of dye in an ugly material. White chalk clung like silica to its market share alongside silica chalk until the 1910-1915 era, then thankfully disappeared. Hope someone finds this useful.

In the beginning of the 1800s, there might not have been any chalk users in the u.s.
By the mid 1800s, billiards was booming, but all the "best" billiard items came from England and France. ( cues , chalk etc)
By the late 1800s the u.s. had turned the tide and the best billiard goods in the world were made right here at home, including chalk.
Our first " chalk substitutes " for billiards were colored to match the cloth with a substance called chrome green. Anthony Peple of NYC took out the patent in 1885 #315828A

hobart

Registered
Got me a box of that Spinks' chalk a while back, it any good? More than half are unused and the rest are barely used must not have been very good stuff, probably because it's green.

Last edited:

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
I've got 3/4 of a cube of the old click chalk. I actually use it from time to time, really good stuff turns out.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
Bringing this awesome thread back to the top!

Does anyone know Hunger Strike's contact info?

I'd be interested in seeing what he might have for sale by way of vintage chalks, billiard balls, etc. Or anyone else for that matter!

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good evening, Branpureza. :)

Many thanks indeed, sir, for resurrecting this great thread. Billiard chalk collecting! I had no idea such an endeavour existed and it warms my heart to think that us pool ball collectors are not the only ones who are a little bit crazy about these things.

Mmm, I can see a new hobby on the horizon. :)

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bringing this awesome thread back to the top!

Does anyone know Hunger Strike's contact info?

I'd be interested in seeing what he might have for sale by way of vintage chalks, billiard balls, etc. Or anyone else for that matter!

PMed.

I've also still got a few pieces of Spinks for trade. There are pictures a few pages back.

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds good, just let me know. Might take me a little bit to respond as i'm not on here as much as i used to be.

finkster07

Bumping this to the top as it's interesting but I also am looking for some help. I tried searching and looking at some US patents for what kind of paper they use nowadays on the other edges of chalk.... Masters for example. Is it basically computer paper with 3m adhesive applied to it then pressed to the chalk?

I have a Christmas gift idea for some buddies I shoot with to apply some printed designs/logos on some chalk. However, I'd rather print the logos on paper that feels how Masters chalk does.

Any help is appreciated.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bumping this to the top as it's interesting but I also am looking for some help. I tried searching and looking at some US patents for what kind of paper they use nowadays on the other edges of chalk.... Masters for example. Is it basically computer paper with 3m adhesive applied to it then pressed to the chalk?

I have a Christmas gift idea for some buddies I shoot with to apply some printed designs/logos on some chalk. However, I'd rather print the logos on paper that feels how Masters chalk does.

Any help is appreciated.
The Master wrapper seems like it has a shiny surface. High clay content? If there is a paper supply store near you, take in a piece of Master and ask them. Once you have the paper and the design, a place like Office Depot can do high quality color prints onto your paper.