Pre-flag master chalk, ask tweeten

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke with Skip Nemecek at Tweeten, maker of Master chalk. He informed me that there was never a formula change in master chalk. He stated that the American flag was put on the chalk as a 9-11 tribute. He also stated that there is a lot of counterfeiting going on overseas. This conversation occurred because I found a box of "Tweeten's Dragon Cue Tips" that came from overseas. Nemecek had never heard of these. So if you are spending extra on supposedly better formula Master chalk, feel free to ask Mr. Nemecek... he says you are wasting your money on the same product. I played with an old piece of pre-flag Master, and it was awful. I'll take new, thank you.

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brilliant

first you state that there is no difference, and then you state that post flag is better.

You make those of us that have tried to discuss this intelligently blush.

SLIM

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been discussed here many times. The rumors regarding the chalk state that it contained lead which is why it seems different to people. As far as I know it's never been actually tested. I like the pre flag. To me it sticks better and feels better. That's my opinion. It's definitely a different color shade. EVERY blue piece I've ever seen was a shade darker than the current chalk.

That being said, here is the best reasoning behind it I've ever heard......and it makes sense. It's possible that whomever they were using as a dye or paint supplier changed their formula around the same time. To me that makes sense, and would back up the claim that they never changed the formula.

One more thing, if you hate the pre flag and will take the new flagged chalk over it........there must be some kind of difference for you not to like it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your explanation also supports the notion of lead being involved as lead was often used in pigments. Their supplier may have changed pigments.

I have pre-flag and flag. I do seem to perceive a slight difference in them but neither seems "better" than the other to me.

Also, lets not forget that chalk is getting old. The age may have something to do with perceived differences whether good or bad.

Personally, either one is fine for me.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Your explanation also supports the notion of lead being involved as lead was often used in pigments. Their supplier may have changed pigments.

I have pre-flag and flag. I do seem to perceive a slight difference in them but neither seems "better" than the other to me.

Also, lets not forget that chalk is getting old. The age may have something to do with perceived differences whether good or bad.

Personally, either one is fine for me.

I agree, I do not like using a new piece of Masters, whether it has a flag or not, as long as the paper on the sides has faded a bit, it has some age to it and usually is better for me. I could be at a table and certain Masters chalk seem to go on different then others, some might be a little pasty, others do not seem to cover well but there are ones that are just perfect, kind of like Le Pro tips.

hunger strike

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I said that Skip Nemecek said no difference

Dear Slim. Would you like to fight? You seem like you are picking one. I was trying to be helpful. I did do a quick search under pre-flag and I suppose I could have read every post of every single thread. But since I saw guys on here selling and looking to buy, I thought I would relate my conversation with Nemecek and spread the word as needed. I am trying to help. I guess Slim is the AZ police. And no, I did not say they were the same, Skip Nemecek the manufacturer did. I say old chalk is sh#t and that new chalk is my preference. Slim, do not ever, ever post on one of my threads again. If you all would like, do a search of my posts and you will find me trying to be helpful when I can, complimentary when appropriate, and I admit that I am not perfect. But I do not need to be insulted for trying to help fellow AZers by citing a credible source, the manufacturer.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The piece of pre flag you used must have been a bad one. There were many pros using the ol pre flag before better chalks like Magic, Blue Diamond and now Kamui.

I have had thousands of pieces of real old pre flag and everyone who has tried it notices a difference, although some more pronounced than others.

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
I have no dog in this race, but I did purchase and sell close to 100 gross of PreFlag a couple years ago. It was stored in a gentleman's house form the 70's when his supply store closed. I bought the chalk in the original Tweeten shipping boxes and everything was pristine. Since I had more than enough I broke a few in pieces and played around with the powder and it is definitely different in some way than the newer Flag chalk. Is it because of age or formula, nobody knows.

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Give me a break

i am so sorry for insulting you for re stating what has been stated many times before.

I did not realize that you were the azb handy helper guy.

Once again, sorry

SLIM

dear slim. Would you like to fight? You seem like you are picking one. I was trying to be helpful. I did do a quick search under pre-flag and i suppose i could have read every post of every single thread. But since i saw guys on here selling and looking to buy, i thought i would relate my conversation with nemecek and spread the word as needed. I am trying to help. I guess slim is the az police. And no, i did not say they were the same, skip nemecek the manufacturer did. I say old chalk is sh#t and that new chalk is my preference. Slim, do not ever, ever post on one of my threads again. If you all would like, do a search of my posts and you will find me trying to be helpful when i can, complimentary when appropriate, and i admit that i am not perfect. But i do not need to be insulted for trying to help fellow azers by citing a credible source, the manufacturer.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no dog in this race, but I did purchase and sell close to 100 gross of PreFlag a couple years ago. It was stored in a gentleman's house form the 70's when his supply store closed. I bought the chalk in the original Tweeten shipping boxes and everything was pristine. Since I had more than enough I broke a few in pieces and played around with the powder and it is definitely different in some way than the newer Flag chalk. Is it because of age or formula, nobody knows.

I was fortunate to buy some of those from you. That was some good chalk and I still have a couple gross boxes in storage.

My guess would be that it dries out over the years and gets better.

Formula change or not, its good stuff.

What did you notice different in the powder?

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
(To Me) It feels much smoother to the touch (working between fingertips) once it is ground down. The same way Blue Diamond feels if you just wipe your finger over the top of a cube of chalk.

I was fortunate to buy some of those from you. That was some good chalk and I still have a couple gross boxes in storage.

My guess would be that it dries out over the years and gets better.

Formula change or not, its good stuff.

What did you notice different in the powder?

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke with Skip Nemecek at Tweeten, maker of Master chalk. He informed me that there was never a formula change in master chalk. He stated that the American flag was put on the chalk as a 9-11 tribute. He also stated that there is a lot of counterfeiting going on overseas. This conversation occurred because I found a box of "Tweeten's Dragon Cue Tips" that came from overseas. Nemecek had never heard of these. So if you are spending extra on supposedly better formula Master chalk, feel free to ask Mr. Nemecek... he says you are wasting your money on the same product. I played with an old piece of pre-flag Master, and it was awful. I'll take new, thank you.

You are spinning your wheels trying to tell people the truth that there is no difference in the make up of masters chalk. The conspiracy has already won, and anyone knows preflag is better and has magic ingredients such as lead. As with almost everything it is a conspiracy where the government has regulated out the best material.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I spoke with Skip Nemecek at Tweeten, maker of Master chalk. He informed me that there was never a formula change in master chalk. He stated that the American flag was put on the chalk as a 9-11 tribute.

NUFF SAID!:smile:

So if you are spending extra on supposedly better formula Master chalk, feel free to ask Mr. Nemecek... he says you are wasting your money on the same product. I played with an old piece of pre-flag Master, and it was awful. I'll take new, thank you.

NUFF SAID!:smile:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
CC, I have often thought, What would we do without your valuable contributions in our forum.

Then I thought, what a stupid thought.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are spinning your wheels trying to tell people the truth that there is no difference in the make up of masters chalk. The conspiracy has already won, and anyone knows preflag is better and has magic ingredients such as lead. As with almost everything it is a conspiracy where the government has regulated out the best material.

There is no proof that there was ever lead in the old Pre Flag, just as there is no proof that the Government was involved at all.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
These Pre-Flag threads are really funny to me. All anyone that has all these old pre flag cubes needs to do is go to a store like Ace and buy a $10 lead test kit. You'll know if it has lead in it in 30 sec. Johnnyt

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no proof that there was ever lead in the old Pre Flag, just as there is no proof that the Government was involved at all.

Did you not pick up on the sarcasm of my statement? oOf course they hasn't been any change in the make up of masters chalk. In fact you can still buy flagless masters chalk outside of the country where the patriotism would be considered out of place.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
hmmm

shhhhh, stop spreading these lies about pre-flag chalk.....

It is different.... I sell a lot of it to folks that what stuff that is different...and they like it..

Anytime I can get my hands on pre-flag Master, folks buy it up... so lets keep the truth of this out of this, so I can sell more chalk......

I"m sure the guy who runs the company cannot possibly be right :rolleyes: