"How-many" pack have you run?

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
There's a "How many balls have you run in 14.1?" thread going now. Made me wonder about the same open question for everyone about 9 ball ( 10 ball will have to be another thread for someone else )?

Mine is: 6 from the snap once, 5 from the snap four times ( one 5 in a tournament, three 5s gambling ).

And 4 on a 5 x 10. Once.

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Measureman put a 3 pack on me one day at Hanks, which ended when I put the rack to
him...no 4 pack for Bruce.
Then I put 3 1-packs on him

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of 5 packs gambling. A shitload of 4 packs, mostly gambling, some in tournaments.

Best set I ever played though, broke and ran 6 or 7 racks in a race to 11 on a gaffed up red label. There was a 3 or 4 in there, a 2 and the rest singles. (Hey Captivebred, how do ya like me now??? :thumbup:)

Havent played a bunch and pretty much zero gambling the last 5 years or so. But Im trying to get back in stroke, and have played a couple of local tournaments. Based on the results, I still hold out some hope. For me its all about table time. When I play 30-40 hours a week, I run out more often than when I bang balls for 30 minutes a night in the garage. Who woulda thunk it. :thumbup:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 racks from the break in tournaments both in 9 and 8 ball. All were on 9 footers, don't know if that makes a difference for anyone. I actually find running on on a 7 footer harder, especially since most of them I find are crap with crap balls.

I have also done 3 probably a few times with alternating breaks when the opponent broke dry and I ran out his rack as well :)

I was actually going to get to 4 racks one time, but I missed on purpose since I was playing some new player kid and felt bad he just showed up to the tournament to rack. So maybe I should say 4 is my best, but that was only once.

May have done more with ball in hands when just practicing but I don't pay attention to those. I know I have run out 3 10 ball racks with ball in hand 1-10 practicing.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
A couple of 5 packs gambling. A shitload of 4 packs, mostly gambling, some in tournaments.

Best set I ever played though, broke and ran 6 or 7 racks in a race to 11 on a gaffed up red label. There was a 3 or 4 in there, a 2 and the rest singles. (Hey Captivebred, how do ya like me now??? :thumbup:)

Havent played a bunch and pretty much zero gambling the last 5 years or so. But Im trying to get back in stroke, and have played a couple of local tournaments. Based on the results, I still hold out some hope. For me its all about table time. When I play 30-40 hours a week, I run out more often than when I bang balls for 30 minutes a night in the garage. Who woulda thunk it. :thumbup:

Chuck - If'n yer gonna quote me, I want royalties!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In an occurrence that proves that how many you ran on your very best day is not the measure of you, I ran a seven pack in 1999.

If I omit packages during which I either broke in or combod in the nine, my best was a five pack.

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
I ran one in nine ball once, and 2 in 8 ball once. Guess i have a way to go to compete with you guys!

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best I have ever done was run out from my opponent's dry break and continued with a 4 pack....so 4.5 I guess? Can we call it that?

Michael Andros

Silver Member
In an occurrence that proves that how many you ran on your very best day is not the measure of you, I ran a seven pack in 1999.

If I omit packages during which I either broke in or combod in the nine, my best was a five pack.

Yeah, I made the 9 on the pop once in that 6 pack. I don't remember on any of the 5s, though. Might've been a few. Or maybe not.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I feel you must count your pack as nine....why should an excellent break or combo end it?

I was at a tournament once where it was announced that anybody ran the race to seven
out would get a $1,000 bonus....then he thought about it and said “Nines on the break
won’t count as part of the pack.”
...I told him to count me out, I didn’t want the bonus....he asked “Why not?”
..told him “I don’t want to run six racks...and then hope I don’t make the nine on the break.”
...he saw what I meant....and said all nines count...good guy..nobody did it.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I only keep track of wins not table runs.

When I am in competition and focused I can only tell you how many in a row I won. After I pocket the nine, that is pretty much all I remember.:wink:

The money is how I can track consecutive wins.

I had two sets that started at $2. The first time I was goofing around and got mad at myself, so I ran 2. My opponent said, "let's play for $5." I put 5 more on him. He says, " make it $10." I put 5 more on him. He says make it $20. I put 5 more on him and he finally quit. I didn't run every rack, maybe 3 times I locked him up so tight he could not hit the object ball. The next time we played it went the same way. Doing him 17 in a row twice finally made him a believer.

One night a young man that was exploring the concept of being a road player, had me stuck $80 at $10 a game. I only started with $110 and that was all I had to live on for another week. I looked at the clock and we had 45 minutes until they would run us off the table at closing time. I dug down deep and won 13 in a row with him never having a chance to make a ball. After the game he commented, "I can't beat your slow game!":eek:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
I feel you must count your pack as nine....why should an excellent break or combo end it?

I was at a tournament once where it was announced that anybody ran the race to seven
out would get a $1,000 bonus....then he thought about it and said “Nines on the break
won’t count as part of the pack.”
...I told him to count me out, I didn’t want the bonus....he asked “Why not?”
..told him “I don’t want to run six racks...and then hope I don’t make the nine on the break.”
...he saw what I meant....and said all nines count...good guy..nobody did it.

Right there with ya, PT. I figure, if I run 6, that means I was ( I don't pattern rack or break ) lucky ( fortunate ) enough to get a clear shot at the one ( or lowest ball ) every rack. So, if that's the case, why should being fortunate enough to have the 9 go on the pop count against me? It shouldn't. If I don't foul and I run out? It counts as running out in my book. On the snap, combo, or stringing 8 ( or less ) balls, it doesn't matter. If I get out, I get out...

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right there with ya, PT. I figure, if I run 6, that means I was ( I don't pattern rack or break ) lucky ( fortunate ) enough to get a clear shot at the one ( or lowest ball ) every rack. So, if that's the case, why should being fortunate enough to have the 9 go on the pop count against me? It shouldn't. If I don't foul and I run out? It counts as running out in my book. On the snap, combo, or stringing 8 ( or less ) balls, it doesn't matter. If I get out, I get out...

One of my mentors in the game, 'Black Al' Bryan played low level pro speed. His best win was beating Jeff Carter back when Carter was ranked like #4.

Anyhow, Al ran into Rempe at the Reno open one year. Neither man missed a ball, only giving up the table on dry breaks. Al was running 1s and 2s, and I think he said he had a 3 in there. Rempe was running 3s on up.

Al came home, and said thats when he knew he needed to work on his break. :thumbup:

46871395064_df171c3b77_b.jpg

Michael Andros

Silver Member
One of my mentors in the game, 'Black Al' Bryan played low level pro speed. His best win was beating Jeff Carter back when Carter was ranked like #4.

Anyhow, Al ran into Rempe at the Reno open one year. Neither man missed a ball, only giving up the table on dry breaks. Al was running 1s and 2s, and I think he said he had a 3 in there. Rempe was running 3s on up.

Al came home, and said thats when he knew he needed to work on his break. :thumbup:

46871395064_df171c3b77_b.jpg

Amen, brother.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
4 pack gambling 9ball on a tight 9-footer.

3 pack in 8ball on a diamond barbox.

Packs are great, but I lost 2 steak dinners over the weekend playing 8ball on an 8ft diamond. I won the flip for each set and broke and ran the first two racks each set. We raced to 5 for steak dinners, and even though I started each set off with a 2pk, my buddy fired back and got me both sets! He's a smart player, not as aggressive as I am, not as many runouts, but he must've been pretty damn hungry!!! Lol

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
4 pack gambling 9ball on a tight 9-footer.

3 pack in 8ball on a diamond barbox.

Packs are great, but I lost 2 steak dinners over the weekend playing 8ball on an 8ft diamond. I won the flip for each set and broke and ran the first two racks each set. We raced to 5 for steak dinners, and even though I started each set off with a 2pk, my buddy fired back and got me both sets! He's a smart player, not as aggressive as I am, not as many runouts, but he must've been pretty damn hungry!!! Lol

Probably had a steak horse