Cyclop Balls

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
It amuses me to read some of the comments. Is your game that fragile to suffer from a few off shade balls?

I like the majority of the critics, have no first hand experience. My game would probably break down because of that cyclops eye logo staring me in the face. damn those conspiracy theorists, illuminati all seeing eye!

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
My suggestion is change the brand to cyclops instead of cyclop. No one is going to get it right

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We played with them for 3 days last week, in the PBIA booth, at the Trade Show in Chicago. I did notice that the balls stayed cleaner. They seemed to play just as well as the premium Aramith balls. I was slightly put off by the muted colors (especially, imo the puke-green!), but I'm sure you can used to anything! :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im of the opinion that 3 or 4 days of play with new balls on new or clean tables isnt enough time to tell anything, I have been around long enough with enough new equipment to know that 20-30 hours of play isnt gonna give any accurate read, sure there are less skids-the tables aint all shitted up yet. There is always less skids the first few days, let them get dirty at the end of the Rio event and then lets see how the skids are, also its been humid in Vegas so there are less skids, Vegas is brutal when its dry and the equipment is dirty you can have skids almost every rack. Thats why cleaning the box in Vegas is important and polishing the balls.

as far as their composition, who knows, its all marketing. they cant pitch it as same as Saluc they got no angle to give people reason to change. short of the color difference.

if they did buy hyatts old equipment they got old equipment, look how far cue makers have came in the past 5-7 years. so to me thats a negative thing as well. I aint knocking it, just calling it as i see it.

Rashig(SP?) the "West" German balls IMO are the best ever made, Centennials second. Hyatts are older than the hills, play ok i have a mint set of them. and a used set.

To know how long a set of balls is really going to last takes time, in a commercial environment not a pool tournament for a couple weeks. same for CB's etc cloth, tables, cues, tips, chalk. blah blah blah.....

I hope they are great balls, but 4 days of play isnt going to convince me of anything, i'd love to buy a set(price isnt settled yet) and try them out.

time will tell

Zbotiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ball perfection???

Seems to me that's a design problem, from Cupertino as stated on the phones, and not a manufacturing problem.

Regarding the amount of resin in the balls I highly doubt that Aramith balls have only 50% phenolic resin in them. I get skeptical on claims like this and would like to see the proof. I am not even sure how one goes about figuring that out. Do you burn the balls and analyze the smoke?

But I can tell you that I have done a bounce test as shown to me by a ball maker here and Aramith balls when dropped all bounce almost equally. Bad sets of balls don't bounce equally at all. The best phenolic balls from that manufacturer bounced equally and furthermore they bounced the same height as the Aramiths.

On the table no one could tell the difference in play between the Aramiths and the Chinese high quality balls. I was told that the resin used was Japanese though and therefore pure and high quality.

Hey John, the "party line" is that the "Saluc resin formula" is different than the old "Hyatt resin formula" used through out the life of the original Centennials. I was told by one of the Diamond employee's that "Bob (the owner of Hyatt) gave the formula to Adrian (the owner of Cyclops) so, these new balls "play" like the old Centennials from the sixties. The difference in these new Cyclops balls from the older Centennials are their tolerances. These new balls are higher precesion in "roundness" and in the weight from one ball to another ball (plus or minus a gram on the measured set).
I played with these balls on the T.V. table at Tunica and can attest to the fact that they do play very well. They kinda have the feel of the old Centennials in ball weight and the "roll" of Super Aramith Pro's, a nice combination! IMHO
By the way, as to the % of resin to filler, Higher resin content is a primary difference in the Duramith's and the Super Aramith Pro's.
And, Diamond "is" responsible for these balls entering the tournament scene today!
Billy
P.S. The colors looked really good on the T.V. monitors as well. You definitely could tell the 3, 4, and 5, apart.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Hey John, the "party line" is that the "Saluc resin formula" is different than the old "Hyatt resin formula" used through out the life of the original Centennials. I was told by one of the Diamond employee's that "Bob (the owner of Hyatt) gave the formula to Adrian (the owner of Cyclops) so, these new balls "play" like the old Centennials from the sixties. The difference in these new Cyclops balls from the older Centennials are their tolerances. These new balls are higher precesion in "roundness" and in the weight from one ball to another ball (plus or minus a gram on the measured set).
I played with these balls on the T.V. table at Tunica and can attest to the fact that they do play very well. They kinda have the feel of the old Centennials in ball weight and the "roll" of Super Aramith Pro's, a nice combination! IMHO
By the way, as to the % of resin to filler, Higher resin content is a primary difference in the Duramith's and the Super Aramith Pro's.
And, Diamond "is" responsible for these balls entering the tournament scene today!
Billy
P.S. The colors looked really good on the T.V. monitors as well. You definitely could tell the 3, 4, and 5, apart.

Cool. I have no idea how 1960s Centennials played. The Hyatt connection is a nice story. Seems unfortunate that no one thought enough of it to market it before the balls hit the tables.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Any idea when these new balls will be available in US retail? Are they currently marketed in other countries, say China or Taiwan? If so, can someone from that area chime in on how these hold up in long term usage?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where would one find these balls forsale?

I couldnt find anything online

I do not believe you can buy these at the moment. The sets for the tournament just arrived three weeks ago. But I do believe they will be available shortly at a very attractive price.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im of the opinion that 3 or 4 days of play with new balls on new or clean tables isnt enough time to tell anything, I have been around long enough with enough new equipment to know that 20-30 hours of play isnt gonna give any accurate read, sure there are less skids-the tables aint all shitted up yet. There is always less skids the first few days, let them get dirty at the end of the Rio event and then lets see how the skids are, also its been humid in Vegas so there are less skids, Vegas is brutal when its dry and the equipment is dirty you can have skids almost every rack. Thats why cleaning the box in Vegas is important and polishing the balls.

as far as their composition, who knows, its all marketing. they cant pitch it as same as Saluc they got no angle to give people reason to change. short of the color difference.

if they did buy hyatts old equipment they got old equipment, look how far cue makers have came in the past 5-7 years. so to me thats a negative thing as well. I aint knocking it, just calling it as i see it.

Rashig(SP?) the "West" German balls IMO are the best ever made, Centennials second. Hyatts are older than the hills, play ok i have a mint set of them. and a used set.

To know how long a set of balls is really going to last takes time, in a commercial environment not a pool tournament for a couple weeks. same for CB's etc cloth, tables, cues, tips, chalk. blah blah blah.....

I hope they are great balls, but 4 days of play isnt going to convince me of anything, i'd love to buy a set(price isnt settled yet) and try them out.

time will tell

hmmmmm, no. Raschigs were not the best ball ever made. And if you want to talk about different playing characteristics, they would be the poster boy. Those balls would spin so much it was unbelievable.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So now there is a new Chinese company selling cheap balls that doesn't sponsor or sport.

Just what we don't need.

They are currently sponsors of three US Open events and the BCAPL bar table events currently being held at the Rio. I believe they are signed up to be sponsors for additional future events as well.

Lou Figueroa

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
JCIN should print it out and give a copy to the commentators or hang it in the booth

I thinking was the same thing last night and was going to text it in the chat...but didn't. I hate those new balls. I'm color blind and for me they are a lot worse on the stream. That's why I want the guys in the booth to know their balls. Johnnyt

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thinking was the same thing last night and was going to text it in the chat...but didn't. I hate those new balls. I'm color blind and for me they are a lot worse on the stream. That's why I want the guys in the booth to know their balls. Johnnyt

i texted it in the chat the 2nd day -At the time i said put a set of the balls in the booth as i didnt know about the picture..so annoying to hear them guess/debate renumber etc

No one listens to me ever-period.

BTW Pettipiece is great in the booth.-

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I don't know if the commentators can get used to the colors on the monitor or not. If they can't, it's going to spell Trouble. I do hope that we can get used to the colors especially if they are as cling-proof and impervious to the environment as others have suggested.

Just a thought: Even with the tables having new cloth, I expect that the balls were cleaned each night?

When I have gone to events in the past and gotten up early in the morning, I have talked with the guy putting the balls out and he cleaned them the night before. I don't know if that was just a unique occurrence or if cleaning them nightly is the policy.

JoeyA

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

time will tell

The Dekoret ball by Rashig was the the star at the '89 BCA trade show.
On a spherical micrometer, it showed to be 2/1,000 off round....
...world legal is 'no more than 5/1,000 off round'....

However, when crossing a number or a stripe, it jumped to 4/1,000...
...but it still surpassed Aramith or Super Chrystalate.

When Saluc bought 'Super' and combined their technologies, they then
made the best ball I ever heard of....on the spherical micrometer, they
stayed at 2/1,000 off round, even when crossing a stripe or number.

But the 'measle' ball has been a disappointment....
...it wears flat at the red dots...even on carom balls.

They apparently gave Mark Griffin no satisfaction....
...hence the ball change, I'm assuming.

I think OMGWTF agrees with me on the color of the Cyclop 6 and 14.
She tweeted "It's the '70s calling, they want their colors back."
:killingme:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i agree the measle ball has issues, it gets dotted up and holds the dirt/chalk etc more than any cue ball i ever saw. My favorite CB is the blue circle which plays similar to the measles. I dont like the red circle ball at all(but thats just a personal preference)

gromulan

Reality police
Silver Member
The balls play decent with the Aramith cue ball. The cue ball that comes with the set is not that great, in my opinion.

I do wonder though why anyone felt the need to change. The Aramith balls play great and are tried and tested, so why not just stick with a known product that works well? If as i heard it was just for money then that doesn't show much respect to all the players that come to play.