The Mosconi Cup 2014 onwards

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
You said:

"It is kind of a No Brainer having a match against a team that hardly anybody wants to watch against a country where pool is almost a daily occurence on TV".

This is simply not true. Everyone including Americans and Europeans want to watch Earl and Team USA. That's the major draw. How many train wrecks would you get with Euro vs Pinoy? about zero. And where does Asian pool fit in globally? I can tell you there is very little wide spread interest in the USA and I'd figure the same to be true in Europe.

Earl is the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat and the sensationalism of the meltdown for the Mosconi Cup. Europe loves Earl, that's why he gets paid to do exhibitions there. How many Asians get asked for the same? zero

Therefore, for these reasons, you are just gloating and enjoying your moment is the nine ball sun, which has long since expired in the USA all at the embarrassment of the broken American sport.

There is certainly no disdain for America and if you read my original post I am trying to be constructive. I am acquainted with 90% of the World's top players including the US contingent. Many are close friend. \\\So I am concerned about the welfare of the game . My opinions come with a considerable amount of experience
To paraphrase one of your famous political figures
ASK NOT WHAT BARRY CAN DO FOR AMERICA. ASK WHAT AMERICA CAN DO FOR BARRY

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Oh, my apologizes, I got my threads and posts confused. You were just trying to help. I agree

In view of the poor showing by the US team maybe it is time for a radical rethink of how future US teams are compiled. Under the status quo it can only be a matter of time before public interest in a One Horse Race fades.

What would work is for someone to come up with a proposal to Matchroom to take responsibility for the US team. They could then compile a squad of maybe 10 younger players who would be the core from which future players are selected.

They could associate with each other at other major events and hopefully engender some team spirit over the course of a season. Maybe the US might have a chance then.

How about that one for Badi Navhat if he wants to get a foothold in the American game. In the longer term he could enlarge his squad up to 16 or 32 and have a tournament schedule just for them. They would be the only TRUE US PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS.

Zbotiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did I hear a rumor?

In view of the poor showing by the US team maybe it is time for a radical rethink of how future US teams are compiled. Under the status quo it can only be a matter of time before public interest in a One Horse Race fades.

What would work is for someone to come up with a proposal to Matchroom to take responsibility for the US team. They could then compile a squad of maybe 10 younger players who would be the core from which future players are selected.

They could associate with each other at other major events and hopefully engender some team spirit over the course of a season. Maybe the US might have a chance then.

How about that one for Badi Navhat if he wants to get a foothold in the American game. In the longer term he could enlarge his squad up to 16 or 32 and have a tournament schedule just for them. They would be the only TRUE US PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS.

2014 on wards?
As the birdies fly, so does the scuttlebutt!

Such a little birdie whispered in my ear, that, at the awards after party, only one member from team U.S.A. was to be found in attendance, (and him having trouble with Boyes)!
And the "King of the Sky" was oft heard to remark, "How bout team Europe vs. a team from the East!!!
Let these prima donnas eat cake, somewheres else!!!"

So---------what will 2014 bring???
Another loud slamming door???
Or has, in fact, that "tree already fallen in the Mosconi forest?:rolleyes:

8BallWonderland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would rather see future players on team USA be better sports and have more manners.
Maybe players like Max Eberle and Tommy Kennedy etc could bring back some respect to the USA team

Hustlin-Felice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about adding other continents to Mosconi Cup and expand it all over the world.

Best players from North America as 1. team, best from Europe 2. team, best from eastern Asia 3. team,
It could take a bit longer, it would be need for changing the formula and rules.

But Come on everyone.... HOW BIG ADVERT it would be for pool, and in how many young kids mind would wake up, and start dreaming to be best and play in that tournament.They would be killing themself just to play. And TV stations would love it - ALL over the world.

How about adding other continents to Mosconi Cup and expand it all over the world.

Best players from North America as 1. team, best from Europe 2. team, best from eastern Asia 3. team,
It could take a bit longer, it would be need for changing the formula and rules.

But Come on everyone.... HOW BIG ADVERT it would be for pool, and in how many young kids mind would wake up, and start dreaming to be best and play in that tournament.They would be killing themself just to play. And TV stations would love it - ALL over the world.

It's called the World Cup of pool.

2014 on wards?
As the birdies fly, so does the scuttlebutt!

Such a little birdie whispered in my ear, that, at the awards after party, only one member from team U.S.A. was to be found in attendance, (and him having trouble with Boyes)!
And the "King of the Sky" was oft heard to remark, "How bout team Europe vs. a team from the East!!!
Let these prima donnas eat cake, somewheres else!!!"

So---------what will 2014 bring???
Another loud slamming door???
Or has, in fact, that "tree already fallen in the Mosconi forest?:rolleyes:

Yup. Barry was embarrassed this year. Not by America's defeat. But how unprofessional and disrespectful they were.

Maybe CJ or Mark Griffin would like to take on such a project. It would not require a massive outlay and would create a home based interest in your team. They could capitalise on that by the members of the squad touring around and accepting challenges from 2, 3 or 4 man teams.

Mark Griffin has already come out publically and stated that he'd like to work with fewer and fewer Americans. They are the reason he'd like to go to invitational events. He's already stated his preference, on this very forum, to work with the European players instead. His message preceded that of Badi Nazhat's, but both were similar in content.

Hustlin-Felice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's called the World Cup of pool.

But in world cup of pool, they playing doubles, and for a diffrent trophy. Plus World Cup of Pool got Diffrent formula and rules.
And on top of that in WC of Pool there a countries playing not continents, Mate ;)