So, are the old Gandy Big G tables really all that bad?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One mintute you're interested in a Diamond, the next you want an old Gandy?

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If by saying laminated rails you mean the rails were covered in some kind of laminate product that looked like wood, I have to say that every Big G I ever saw had that kind of rails.

Not all Gandys were the commercial Big G model.

The only other gandy tables I've seen had smooth black
rails. A pretty generic playing table. Most, like Beenies were low,
like 28 inch from the ground. I didn't care about tables or the balls.
If there was a table and pool balls, I looked to go to gamblin.
Thanks

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Wow....

Well, my home hall has 10 big G - Gandy tables in it. 3 of them are shimmed.

No one likes the rails or the pockets. The slate is indeed floating. No pegs. I personally know the guy that purchased these tables brand-new in the early 90's. He bought them purely to save some cash versus spending $400 more per table on Brunswicks. In the long run, I think stretching for the GC's would have been the way to go, but hey.

This hall does and has taken very good care of these tables since they were installed. I hate them, but I love them.... I have not been coddled and babied. You wanna make a ball consistently on one of these table into 4 inch pockets? Hit the center dude.... or start rubbing that rabbits foot.

Lesh

middleofnowhere

Registered
I keep checking my thread here to see if anybody might have something positive to say about a Gandy, which would in turn free me up to consider one. But so far, it ain't happening.

I'm sure glad I didn't realize how awful they were back in the late '60s and '70s. I would have missed out on a lot of fun!
This is kind of the bottom line. You could go to Gandy and buy 9 foot big G' tables out the door for $600.00. That is why so many new pool rooms back then choose them.

For the money you could not beat them. They played OK for the general public and stood up pretty well. I knew a number of rooms that started out with Gandy's to get the doors open but over time replaced them with other tables usually used Gold Crowns when they came available on the used market.

Honestly, for my own personal use in my home, I would not take a Gandy as a gift. I actually mean that. You are going to play thousands of hours on your own personal table and probably own it the rest of your life.

The dollar value as it relates the use you will get from your table, especially if you are a serious player, buy the best you can afford. You will never regret it.

There are few things in your life you will own that will provide a greater personal value to you then a pool table. The term "Pays for it's self" really applies when it comes to a pool table.

Reactions: CGM

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hi RKC. Don't know how old you are, but did you ever come to
Weenie Beenie's room in arlington va in the 70's? The tables were gandy but they had
what looked like laminated rails similar looking to GC 1-2. The pockets were cut at a wide angle so if you hit pocket facing, the ball would go back & forth like a pinball machine and spit it out or hang. The word was that Beenie had them made special
at Gandy. Any info?
thanks
ps
The best players in the country played all games on them for over 10 years.

I'm in my 60s, but was in the Army in the 70s & 80s. The thing about pool players, is that they'll shoot marbles on a pool table with broom handle if they can make some money at it, so their endorcing one pool table over another really don't mean shit in the real world...LMAO

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One mintute you're interested in a Diamond, the next you want an old Gandy?

That's correct.

I'm also interested in Olhausen, Connelly, new Centurions old Gold Crowns and anything else that I can afford. I've got the luxury of a few months time so I can consider all options.

My general practice is to learn all I can then jump when something comes along that I like. It often looks impulsive but for me it's a thoughtfully considered process. Just my way of trying to avoid a messy mistake.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Hi RKC. Don't know how old you are, but did you ever come to
Weenie Beenie's room in arlington va in the 70's? The tables were gandy but they had
what looked like laminated rails similar looking to GC 1-2. The pockets were cut at a wide angle so if you hit pocket facing, the ball would go back & forth like a pinball machine and spit it out or hang. The word was that Beenie had them made special
at Gandy. Any info?
thanks
ps
The best players in the country played all games on them for over 10 years.

The times I was there I remember there being a variety of tables. Players will play and gamble on anything as far as that goes but given a choice would probably not choose a Gandy over other better tables. I may have some pictures around of Beenie's the room.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am very happy with my Gandy 9" .... and have been for about
25 years or so. I used to be able to play a 'little' and now I can
play 'a little less'.... My table is the 'sportsman' model, not the
big G. It looks nice, and plays pretty well.... I have had new rails
put on in the last few years and tightened the pockets .. just a little.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

td

JimD

Registered
Or is it just that the GCs are that much better?

I grew up in GA in the late '60s and Big Gs were pretty much the standard table in this area. And I later had 2 different ones in my homes over the years. Heck, we all thought they were great but maybe we just didn't know any better.

Anyway, I'll be looking for a 9 foot table soon for our retirement home now under construction and naturally I thought I'd just find an older Big G and have a good mechanic set it up right. That is, until I started reading this forum!

I'm of course aware of the Gold Crowns, but I would have thought that the real slate on the Gandys would easily trump the Brunstone on the GCs. That doesn't seem to bother anyone though, so maybe I need to think again.

Opinions with first-hand knowledge would sure be appreciated.
I’ve had Big G tables (two) for the past 35 years. They are great tables and an excellent value. The pros played major tournaments on them throughout the late 80 and early to mid 90’s. I have Olhausen cushions and Simonis cloth. My table is as true today as the day I purchased it thirty years ago and it does not vibrate when bumped as one person said. It sits on my concrete basement floor. At the end of the day, you’re looking at a structure, slate, and a ball return system. Everything else (cushions, felt) are replaced anyway on an older table. The slate is fine, the structure is fine and the ball return rails work fine. GC’s are great tables but both new and used ones are expensive these days. Even if the GC was built better; you are putting it in your house, not a pool room where it will get abused.

pw98

Registered
Not even close to GC.
GC's had the Monarch and Super Speed cushions .
Better than any of the K66 on G's.
The frames of G's are not nowhere near GC's frames.
Big G's vibrated too much. You bump a Gandy, you see a table shake.
You bump a GC, nothing happens.
The slates on the GC I and II were pinned.
Gandy's, doubt it.
They were also infamous for warped frames and rails here.
Gandys also only have 2 rails bolts vs 3 on a GC.

GentlemanJames

Like everything else, the answers are all subjective. In my experience the Gandy Big G tables weren't horrible, they were a solid C- to C table...but the Gold Crowns are in the solid B+ to A- range...with the Diamond tables being A++ and in a class all by themselves.

Prior to Diamond, there was the Robertson Black Max. IMHO it smoked GCs all day long. This boom time Pool Hall on Bainbridge Ave in the Bronx had them, they were flipping amamzing. I've heard other people give them similar reviews. The Robertson Pool Table manufacturing (of Tampa, FL) factory burnt to the ground a bunch a years ago and the owners elected not to rebuild...I think they just do standard billiard supplies now. Anyways, if you get the chance to play on one, by all means do so. They're the only table that I've ever found that come anywhere close to a Diamond.

With all this being said, I'm of the belief and experience that the table mechanic that installs the table factors heavily into how the table performs, regardless of the brand. -Z-

DSC00172.jpg

mcd_broc_F.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

The Robertson Black Maxx was a fantastic late-80s iteration of the Brunswick Anniversary style; and, IIRC, retailed quite less than 1/2 the price of a new GC. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a GC-man thru-and-thru; but, I played on these a lot back in the early/mid-90s and really enjoyed them. A very solid table, and the rails played slightly 'springier' than a GC; which, worked/bothered some people more than others.

Speaking as a person who loves the styling of the Anniversary - but doesn't dig today's prices of a vintage B'wick - I'd love to see some enterprising person start making these again AND at the same relative price-point to that of a new GC6, to that of which Robertson was turning them out for before their factory fire.

You can find these used up and down the East Coast and especially in Florida - where Robertson is still located as a non-manufacturer - and, I've seem them offered from as low as $500, up to $1500.

The only complaint I can recall ever hearing about these from back in the day, was at one point in order to keep up with demand early in their production, it seemed Robertson was using Tulip Poplar for the frame which was not properly kiln-dried, and some of those warped a bit, which required being re-worked. And, IIRC, the original Black Max was supplanted by the Black Maxx II.

Good memories overall. - GJ

ROBERTSON_BLACK_MAX_012.jpg

Last edited:

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I grew up in GA in the late '60s and Big Gs were pretty much the standard table in this area. And I later had 2 different ones in my homes over the years. Heck, we all thought they were great but maybe we just didn't know any better.

Anyway, I'll be looking for a 9 foot table soon for our retirement home now under construction and naturally I thought I'd just find an older Big G and have a good mechanic set it up right. That is, until I started reading this forum!

I'm of course aware of the Gold Crowns, but I would have thought that the real slate on the Gandys would easily trump the Brunstone on the GCs. That doesn't seem to bother anyone though, so maybe I need to think again.

I thought they were good tables when maintained properly. The had them in an old pool hall I frequented.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, Gandy Big Gs may not have been held in the high regard that Gold Crown and Diamond are, but they were good enough to play on in Bill (Weenie Beanie) Staton's Jack and Jill pool room in Arlington Virginia until 1980 when it closed. Some great action and tournaments there. You might recognize a few, including Mizerak, Margo, and the Dove Cue.

All the best,
WW
Being "good enough" for Beanie's doesn't mean that they were good. I played at J&J plenty of times BITD, and it was the nonstop action that was the attraction, not those godawful Gandy tables. The best tables in the DC area at the time were the first three GCs at Randolph Hills and the front table at Brunswick Billiards, which was a 5' x 10' Brunswick from the 1920's with undersized pockets that left many a road player leaving emptyhanded.

Hell, if fame conveyed quality, then those slop pocket tables at Ames in New York would've been considered the greatest tables of all time.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Big G tables were very solid and played good.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back in the 1900s
('98-beyond to be exact)
There was spot around Pittsburgh called Chalkys, all their tables were Big G 9ft Gandys. Some played decent , some not so much.
None the less they did their best to keep the tables as good as could be . Prior to that place my only experience playing pool was on valley bar bucket tables. So switching over to gandys was a challenge , more so due to the 9ft aspect ,opposed to the 7 footers I only knew.
Chalkys was the 1st place I got to see what real competitive pool was via the 9 ball tourneys they held weekly.
That place made me feel great at times & like dog sh*t other times ,depending on how I did in those tourneys.
Now in days that spot is no longer in existence, but looking back on how it opened my eyes to how big the world of billiards was, add to that the times I had there , money won or lost , I wouldnt trade those memories . That being said Gandy Big Gs will always have a special place in my heart.

ffc476c7fe41cc5d184fa89f703bf270.jpg

Attachments

• gandy-big-g-1-491e52b3-primary.jpg
    gandy-big-g-1-491e52b3-primary.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
the ones i play on have big pockets but will rattle a ball out real easy.
many times ive seen a ball hit the faces and do a dance across the shelf and not drop. ive even hit a hanging ball and had it just walk up and down the shelf inside the pocket and not fall.

its a great table for 14.1 i love it.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the ones i play on have big pockets but will rattle a ball out real easy.
many times ive seen a ball hit the faces and do a dance across the shelf and not drop. ive even hit a hanging ball and had it just walk up and down the shelf inside the pocket and not fall.

its a great table for 14.1 i love it.

Haha are you playing in a Slick Willie's in Texas? Quite a few of their spots had those at one time.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No slicks all have Brunswicks, I'm playing out of bogies
Much nicer place.

In Austin one of the three SW's that used to be open has The Gandy's. I hated those things! The other two that have closed had a mix of mostly Brunswick Medalists and a few GC 3 and 4's mixed in. The remaining spot will be gone pretty soon I suspect.- redevelopment.

Bogies does have a lot of Gandy's. It has been a while but I have played on a few of them.