My Brunswick Conversions by CuesDirectly

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll see if David can comment!

Chris

On the way out the door right now but it's simple, I start with a board stretcher from Home Despot.

In reality, they are simple because they get a complete new turning between centers, the Hoppe cues were very thick at the bottom to compensate.

Enjoy, Dave.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
On the way out the door right now but it's simple, I start with a board stretcher from Home Despot.

In reality, they are simple because they get a complete new turning between centers, the Hoppe cues were very thick at the bottom to compensate.

Enjoy, Dave.

Despite his remark, that does take knowledge and skill. Many cue maker's don't like to work with them or want to short splice them with a new handle - David works with what you've got. I absolutely didn't want a wrap, plus he kept the original weight stamp on the Titleist - love it!

Last edited:

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Despite his remark, that does take knowledge and skill. Many cue maker's don't like to work with them or want to short splice them with a new handle - David works with what you've got. I absolutely didn't want a wrap, plus he kept the original weight stamp on the Titleist - love it!

Good morning, another wonderful day. Sorry to have been a smartass and not doing a good job of explaining things but my wife was standing at the door with that look, 33 years of that look meant I better get going.

Any cue you ever held, any cue anyone ever held is warped but that does not mean you can tell with the human eye, it only means you need better equipment to measure it. Cue makers measure by the thousands of an inch, we don't need to measure by the millionths of an inch or by the Atom itself. When between centers, the Purpleheart cue was exactly .029" off. With both ends inserted into centers on my lathe, I use a Dial Indicator at middle of the cue to measure how far off it is.

Twenty nine thousands of one inch is easy to make up on an old Hoppe cue because the bottom of the cue is very thick, around 1.40" or so.

When finished, the bottom of the cue will be 1.25", that means that we cut the outside of the cue straight between centers.

Is it straight at that time? As straight as any cue can be, just don't measure by the millionths of an inch. Much like a pool table, there is nothing level about a pool table, it's only level to specs needed, just look at the +/- in the specs.

Another note about these old cues, their weights. Nothing but a solid piece of lead, no problem there but it's how they put them in that was the problem. Just by looking at them my best guess is the weights were put in with a hand held power drill with no attempt at being straight into the bottom of the cue. Their inability to center the weight properly would often lead to cues that were heavy on one side. You will know when you roll one across the table, it will always come to rest at the same spot.

A special Thanks to Tate, he was right to ask for a better explanation, ride on. Any other questions will be well respected, Thanks again, Dave.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just thought I would post some pics of cues done for me by David Brainard at CuesDirectly, who posts on here. I sent him a batch of old cues and had two converted for me:

1- An interesting Purpleheart 26 1/2 from the 1920's that had a birdseye forearm.

2- a 1940's Titleist I believe is a lighter color rosewood with some pretty figure.

We worked on a simple, classic Hoppe design with rings. These two cues were very difficult to work with. There were warp and weight issues. Dave was able to get them straight and to the correct dimensions and weight for me (19 ounces) . His shaft wood is excellent - both of these cues play great and they feel exactly the same - solid. I am adding reproduction decals when I get time.

Dave is a hard working guy who starts at only about $300 for a basic conversion if you bring your own, or about $400 - $500 if he supplies the blank. These are super prices. He takes a few months because he lets the wood cure and acclimate. He's also a good source for reasonable, great playing cues. Check out my cues.

https://www.cuesdirectly.com/

I love the flat faced joint with the big pin. I think that is a great way to connect the two pieces. I'm wondering if that is a Micarta joint or ?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I love the flat faced joint with the big pin. I think that is a great way to connect the two pieces. I'm wondering if that is a Micarta joint or ?

I've asked David to comment on this - not sure of what material he used.

Here are the reproduction decals I applied. I will still shoot a thin coat of clear acrylic over them. These are exact reproductions of the originals we lost due to the refinish. These are very high quality reproductions by Classic Billiards. I put them on any restored or converted cue. It adds a touch of class, color and history.

https://www.classicbilliards.net/antique-parts-accessories/decals/catagory/pool-cue-decals.html

Attachments

• decals1.jpg
    decals1.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've asked David to comment on this - not sure of what material he used.

Here are the reproduction decals I applied. I will still shoot a thin coat of clear acrylic over them. These are exact reproductions of the originals we lost due to the refinish. These are very high quality reproductions by Classic Billiards. I put them on any restored or converted cue. It adds a touch of class, color and history.

https://www.classicbilliards.net/antique-parts-accessories/decals/catagory/pool-cue-decals.html

Those decals look real nice, I want dozens, will be looking at them.

The joint material is Juma, made me happy to see that Jay liked them, he's a highly respected member of the Billiards community. Thanks Jay, in fact, Thanks and Greenies to all posters to this thread on this fine day.

Thanks again to Tate and the fantastic AZBilliards, the only place online I like to make comments.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
I'm surprised how much those cues were taken down. The Purpleheart (4th from the right) looks like originally it had a wrap. Now the finished cue is wrapless. That's quite a lot of material that came off and under that wrap was the rest of the points and a beautiful handle. All most a shame it had a wrap in the first place.

In the photo of the original cues at the top, the purpleheart 26 1/2 was 4th from the right, and the Titleist was 6th from the right.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'm surprised how much those cues were taken down. The Purpleheart (4th from the right) looks like originally it had a wrap. Now the finished cue is wrapless. That's quite a lot of material that came off and under that wrap was the rest of the points and a beautiful handle. All most a shame it had a wrap in the first place.

That one was pretty hefty. I have Hoppe pro's that are easliy thick enough to remove the wrap channel as well.

On the purpleheart cue, there is a small line in the finished cue on one side of the wrap groove in the front. It shows in the pictures. David didn't want to turn it down too much so he left it there.