Laquer thinners

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a question. Just a heads up.
Seeing my normal supplier of laquer thinner for cleaning spray guns and stuff is out of business. I tried versions from Lowes, Home Depot and Auto Zone.
They don't mix well with each other. The chemical reaction is a real shocker. Turns white and then as hard as a rock to what ever it's on. That mixing jar must of had residue from the other thinner. Brutal. Good thing I have extra cups for my gun and an extra nozzle. Be careful. Spray guns get Exspensive.

IMG_050820_211012.jpg
IMG_050820_213411.jpg

deadbeat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never used the ones from the lumber places, always from the autobody stores in the 5 gallon cans and never had one do that. Thanks for the heads up, I'll just continue to avoid the lumber places for thinner, I've used it my whole life growing up in a body shop.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never used the ones from the lumber places, always from the autobody stores in the 5 gallon cans and never had one do that. Thanks for the heads up, I'll just continue to avoid the lumber places for thinner, I've used it my whole life growing up in a body shop.

Me too. Til they closed. Everything is a learning experience.

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yikes!!!!!

Acetone is very aggressive stuff, lacquer thinner is a better choice ,it's just a shame all formulas aren't a bit more similar.Thanks for the heads up Mike. Ray

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
There are different kinds of thinners. Go to a auto paint store and they will get you up to speed.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never would have thought there could be such a difference. That white sludge dried to the cup so hard, I have to chizzle it OFF. Not sure if I can save the fan nozzle on the gun.
Nasty stuff.

Pete Tonkin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never would have thought there could be such a difference. That white sludge dried to the cup so hard, I have to chizzle it OFF. Not sure if I can save the fan nozzle on the gun.
Nasty stuff.

Pick up some paint remover and soak the parts in. Will not hurt they at all. Have done this in the past to clean spray guns covered in paint and plugged up.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Try soaking in acetone

Acetone evaporates FAST.
That's why lacquer thinner is preferred .
I dunk my gun and cup inside a plastic coffee container .
Folger's work best . Haha!

If you use thinner, they would be gone after a week.
It's also very aggressive .
Guns have delrin parts. LT doesn't seem to hurt them.
You lose the decal though . Mine is a IWATA gun.
No more authentic Iwata logo but, who cares.
I know it's real. And it's the best .

I only buy my LT at Home Depot.
I live in Nazifornia. LT here is some 20% acetone and some parts additives, according to my auto finishing supplier . He only carries pure acetone . No LT. His acetone is good enough to thin auto clear . You can dunk the nozzle parts on acetone though. Dunk for few minutes inside a small mixing cup and that acetone will be gone . And the nozzle will be clean.

WEAR RESPIRATOR with the orange filter .

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thinners is a nightmare. There are so many different types . Some have mek in them as well. Getting the right thinner for the matching product is important. I have been having difficulty in getting non shrinking dope thinner for old model planes. That is when I recently learnt of the many make up options for thinners etc. I have always bought the epoxy thinners and spray thinners that the products recommend instead of a generic substitute.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thinners is a nightmare. There are so many different types . Some have mek in them as well. Getting the right thinner for the matching product is important. I have been having difficulty in getting non shrinking dope thinner for old model planes. That is when I recently learnt of the many make up options for thinners etc. I have always bought the epoxy thinners and spray thinners that the products recommend instead of a generic substitute.

Hi Neil
A...men. A real wake up call. I've always bought the 5 gallon container from the auto paint store. With all this Covig stuff. They're closed for good. People collecting all that free MONEY must be painting thier houses because there's a shortage on thinner too.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Home Depot and Lowes no longer carry lacquer thinner in my area........... I buy it online at Amazon............. and I buy Deft lacquer thinner..............

Kim

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Home Depot and Lowes no longer carry lacquer thinner in my area........... I buy it online at Amazon............. and I buy Deft lacquer thinner..............

Kim

Thank you Kim.
Something else to pay shipping on. Bummer.

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
Go to a large body shop and tell em u want to buy a gallon of thinner. if they say no then go to the the next place. Better yet call first.