• Yes, My name is .......

Votes: 45 64.3%
  • No, I'm on my way to play now, no matter the consequences

Votes: 25 35.7%

• Total voters

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simple question, I'm asking people who have played for more than 5 years and not primarily league players. I'm asking people who are determined to improve their level of play for what ever their reason is. This is not directed at social "have a beer and bang balls" people<----who i have lots of respect for and Lord knows we need them.

This poll is ONLY for serious players who have made sacrifices to play.

I didnt vote,

thanks
eric

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is an addiction. Is addiction a disease? They say drug and alcoholism is a disease, but I don't classify it like heart disease or cancer, so its just semantics to me. Playing pool brings me pleasure, a natural high, I want more of it, and I don't plan on ever quitting. I get my work done first, and play then so it hasn't hindered my success in life. It's a health distraction from the day to day, for me. Some people get obsessed and loose out on what else life has to offer, are they suffering from pool addiction and therefore have a disease? Maybe...but its a mental illness, and not pool's fault.

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I think you have to have some form of OCD to put in the time required to play well., the vehicle used is of no consequence.

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
I've been playing since I was 17.

Addiction is only cured if the addicted thinks there is a problem.

Maybe Chalk is the carrier of this disease.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing since I was 17.

Addiction is only cured if the addicted thinks there is a problem.

Maybe Chalk is the carrier of this disease.

i remember you from Sac all these years later were still beating little balls around a table......:) hope your good

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Pool is not a disease. It is merely an expenditure of one's leisure time where warts will occasionally appear on one's nut sack. :smile:

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I think you have to have some form of OCD to put in the time required to play well., the vehicle used is of no consequence.

That may well be the case, but calling it a disease???? Think of anything done truly well ... the great practioners of playing a musical instrument, any athletic endeavour, etc, etc. Ya' gotta put in the time (be diseased) in order to excell. Just my 2 friggin cents. :D

liakos

Banned
I just love playing! I've been playing for about 7 yrs now! Went through bone cancer, where my right rotator cuff completely separated from the cancer! I had a couple of ops, and I've been doing well! I get more and more intrigued by the game everyday! I know ill never be any good at it, but I don't care!!!! I love playing, at that is that! Is it a disease,,,,, no,,,,, its an addiction, its love! It's the only thing in my life that treats me exactly the way I treat it!!! And nothing beats that!!!

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Eric, I don't know if it can be classified as a disease but it is addicting.

And there is no known cure for playing or collecting cues.

And don't even start buying lathes and equipment like many of us have.

Its like great, not only am I addicted to buying cues, now I can start building my own. Thats what happens when wifey puts her foot down on the cue collecting. You briefly go into case collecting. Like, where am I going to put all these cues, right?

Then you tell her that you will buy just one lathe so you can maintain
all your cues and make your money back fixing other peoples cues.

Fortunately, my wife doesn't mind me being out several nights a week or hiding in the dungeon shop.

But for others, the one cure for it is called marriage. In the long run, it can be more costly.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Decease .....? Nah.

Addiction.....? Don't think.

Obsession ....? Possibly.

I think for many/most after extended periods of time, it becomes a routine. Something you just do. You start with an interest for whatever reason. A challenge to try and overcome and over time it becomes part of your lifestyle. You get invested in it and it becomes part of you.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Simple question, I'm asking people who have played for more than 5 years and not primarily league players. I'm asking people who are determined to improve their level of play for what ever their reason is. This is not directed at social "have a beer and bang balls" people<----who i have lots of respect for and Lord knows we need them.

I didnt vote,

thanks
eric

Eric, you raise a very good question that I believe varies from person to person and may also vary depending on different stages of each player's life.

For me, pool is not a disease. For it to be so, it would have to considered not normal and not healthy. Pool is a part of who I am. Although I have taken breaks from competition, pool has never left my thoughts. It is a passion of my life. Passions can become consuming of one's time and when taken to extremes can negatively impact one's social life.

As with anything, it is all about balance. There is an ebb and flow to the game and to our progress/development as players. There will be times where we are focused and have motivation and our game will grow and there are times where we lack focus and motivation and our game will wane.

KLM

Registered
It has completely, totally, sucked me back in after a 20+ year hiatus. I watch several hours a day of TAR, Youtube videos, etc...,, read about it every night, and play marathon sessions every weekend. Bought an OB shaft for my 30 year old Huebler 2 weeks ago. I have to drive 60 miles one way to find a decent table, and happily look forward to that all week. I have started gutting the front half of my old shop in order to have space for a Gold Crown, with the blessings of my wife. Once that is accomplished, I plan on playing 3-4 hours everyday. I used to play 9 ball exclusively back in the day, but have recently discovered a LOVE of One Pocket, and it has already changed my game for the better.

So yes, I am addicted, diseased, whatever you want to call it, and I could not be happier! :grin:

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
They said it would make me go blind.

I thought I would quit when I needed glasses.

But I can't seem to stop.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's a virus! There was that time when I went to the pool hall, and I forgot to wash my hands when I left................

td

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a "bug" that is for sure. Sometimes a "bug" turns into a disease. I've played pool for 15 years now. I've been all over, met great people, and loved every minute of it. I've gambled as high or even higher than probably anybody on this forum, and to me...there is no better feeling. Like they said in the movie, "money won is twice as sweet as money earned." But besides that I have a deep passion for the game, the players, and learning how to improve. I have tons of accu-stats. Had extensive conversations and spent time around some of the best in the country. I bought the 45 package on TAR tonight just to see my favorite player probably play for one of the last times. Pool is indeed something...a bug...an addiction..."an epidemic and there ain't no cure!"...perhaps to some...a disease.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I didnt vote,

thanks
eric

There are many ways to get high!! pool winnings is one way! the more we get the more we want, so pool is a tool so as golf, tennis and..and.. sorry you do not get sexy cheerleaders though!!