Low deflection shaft?

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
New guy looking for some advice/opinions

I started playing 8 ball in a local bar league and play several nights a week now. I have a decent McDermott stick with a maple shaft. In looking to upgrade I was thinking about a new stick with a low deflection or low squirt shaft. I've read most of the posts and they seem to be mixed on these shafts. Since I'm relatively new, and frankly wasn't aware of the phenomenon, (I assumed that I had miscued on side spin shots, which may also be the case) should I just go to one of these new shafts for less of an adjustment? Thanks

Last edited:

twal

"W"
Silver Member
If you are on the fence I would recommend you take the money and get some lessons.
Then talk to your coach about this as well as about your weakness.
You will better off in the long run.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
I also agree with Twal. You can take about a month of lessons for the same price as a low deflection shaft and it will pay off in the long run. The instructor will most likely have different kinds of deflections shafts you can try out as well to see what you like. If you really just want to get the low deflection shaft I would recommend going into a billiards shop and trying as many as you can that will fit on your cue. Best of luck

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input. I will look for an instructor. My local pool hall doesn't have one. Tried googling with no immediate luck. I'll try a few other pool halls. Thanks again...

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't need a LD shaft to play great pool. Look at players from Taiwan, China, they use standard maple shafts. Invest your money in lessons, it's the best option.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
Thanks for the input. I will look for an instructor. My local pool hall doesn't have one. Tried googling with no immediate luck. I'll try a few other pool halls. Thanks again...

Maybe try asking someone at the pool hall if they know any instructors. That is how I found my instructor. I starting talking with these two players at a pool hall that were very good and asked if they took lessons,because I was interesting in taking lessons myself. The guy recommended me to a instructor that I have been getting lessons from for a couple months now and I couldn't be more pleased. Most of the pool players in my area know him and he is the best instructor around here. Hopefully you can find one that is good with a great price.

iffysam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yeah i agree with these guys as well, maybe LD shaft will make you better, but will not be that much i think

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Your money is probably better well spent towards lessons that will correcting your form than buying a new shaft. Since you're blaming your equipment for holding you back, another option is to replace the tip. It's lower expense to replace the tip than the shaft.

YMMV, good luck.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know how far Long Island is from NYC, but I'm sure you could find an instructor at Steinway.

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
NYC Instructors

Lot's of great Instructors here in NYC. Tony Robles, Fran Crimi, Earl Strickland to name a few. Good Luck.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your money is probably better well spent towards lessons that will correcting your form than buying a new shaft. Since you're blaming your equipment for holding you back, another option is to replace the tip. It's lower expense to replace the tip than the shaft.

YMMV, good luck.

I agree lessons are good, but you do not know what shaft he has, it could be one with high deflection and causes lots of misses. I highly advise of a LD shaft and lessons, IMO go with OB2 it is good shaft.

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member

You can find an instructor here: http://playbetterbilliards.com/ which is a website managed by the BCA.

Just enter in your state and it will bring up a list of nationally certified and/or recognized instructors.

Bambu

Dave Manasseri
Silver Member
I started playing 8 ball in a local bar league and play several nights a week now. I have a decent McDermott stick with a maple shaft. In looking to upgrade I was thinking about a new stick with a low deflection or low squirt shaft. I've read most of the posts and they seem to be mixed on these shafts. Since I'm relatively new, and frankly wasn't aware of the phenomenon, (I assumed that I had miscued on side spin shots, which may also be the case) should I just go to one of these new shafts for less of an adjustment? Thanks

I recommend low deflection shafts, but I wouldn't say they do much in the miscue department. Not sure how far out on the island you are, but you are welcome to stop by my place in queens.....to try out a Z-2 and an OB-2 low deflection shaft. I'm also an instructor, but would let you try them out for free.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend low deflection shafts, but I wouldn't say they do much in the miscue department. Not sure how far out on the island you are, but you are welcome to stop by my place in queens.....to try out a Z-2 and an OB-2 low deflection shaft. I'm also an instructor, but would let you try them out for free.

This is really great, try cues, and get lesson, complete package I like it.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Miscues are caused almost exclusively by a poor stroke or bad tip maintenance. And by bad tip maintenance I mean letting the tip get glazed over where it is too smooth and won't hold chalk very well. Some tips glaze over faster than others, and in general (and there are certainly some exceptions) harder tips glaze over more quickly than softer tips. If the tip is starting to glaze over you will need to scuff it (rough it up) with a tip tool or sandpaper or the like, or you can use a tool like the tip pick which puts little tiny holes in the tip to help it hold chalk. Which of the two is better depends on the type of tip, how glazed it is, your proficiency with each type of tool, etc. Basically it depends on the situation.

But by far the biggest culprit for miscues is a crappy stroke that isn't straight and/or doesn't follow through. However, even if the cause of the miscues is a crappy stroke, most people with a less than ideal stroke will miscue quite a bit less with a softer tip even if they never let the tip glaze over. So for an instant reduction in miscues, try a softer tip, and work on your stroke for the long term fix.

As for low deflection shafts, they make no difference to how often you would miscue. As for whether or not they are better in general, the jury is still out on that one. Some people love them, some people hate them. Some of the best players in the world use LD shafts, and some of the best players in the world use regular shafts. There is really no evidence to support that better pool can be played with one over the other.

I don't personally think there is near as much advantage as some would have you believe to having a shaft where the cue ball only deflects a 1/4" on a particular shot verses one where the cue ball would deflect 1/2" on the same shot. You still have to adjust either way, and you will quickly learn to do this subconsciously no matter what shaft you use. Now if there was a such a thing as a zero deflection shaft (which is impossible) then that would be a whole different story.

You play best with that which you have the most confidence in, and which "feels" the best to you. If that happens to be regular shafts, then you should play with regular shafts. If that happens to be LD shafts, then you should play with LD shafts. But for right now your concerns should be your stroke and your tip and save the shaft experimentation for later.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
a little wisdom

Laminated LD shafts still have deflection so everyone will have to adjust no matter what shaft you use.

My first Laminate LD shaft fell apart in the first year, so did all my friends Laminated LD shafts.

LD shaft will miscue easier then a solid maple shaft will, the shaft has more flex, easier to kick the shaft side ways.

Laminated LD shafts are weaker .. and cost more and IMO will never out last a good solid maple shaft.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Laminated LD shafts still have deflection so everyone will have to adjust no matter what shaft you use.
That is correct, but with less squirt (cue ball deflection), less correction is required and resulting accuracy can be better. For more info, see: low-squirt (LD) shaft advantages

LD shaft will miscue easier then a solid maple shaft will
This is not true (unless the LD shaft has a worse tip or isn't stroked the same way).

Laminated LD shafts are weaker .. and cost more and IMO will never out last a good solid maple shaft.
These can be true and are among the disadvantages of LD shafts.

Regards,
Dave

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Firstly, I want to thank everyone for their advice. I appreciate it. Never been in a forum before. I will be checking out some of the links for instructors, and since I am in Nassau County, Queens and the city are not too far. Getting live instruction was always my intention. I also have the Jerry Breisath DVD's as well as one From Nick Varner and some others.
My logic (which may be flawed) for trying an LD shaft was this. Since I was unaware of squirt, and wasn't compensating for it at all, why not "learn" with a stick that should need less adjustment. I am certainly a believer that it is practice, practice, practice and playing that make you a better shot. Someone posted that I was blaming my equipment. Not hardly. I was trying to think of a way to minimize the variable. So, thanks again and I'll likely be in Queens or NYC pretty soon.
Dave

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inside english is easier with ld shafts. Probably the best advantage of them in my opinion.