Carlo Biado's stroke

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching the recent World Cup of Pool and noticed when he lines up his shot he appears to be stroking towards the left side of the cue ball, when he strikes it looks like he cuts across the ball to the right, crazy looking stroke., I guess it must generate more power? He even does this on straight shots.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
When I read this title...

I was watching the recent World Cup of Pool and noticed when he lines up his shot he appears to be stroking towards the left side of the cue ball, when he strikes it looks like he cuts across the ball to the right, crazy looking stroke., I guess it must generate more power? He even does this on straight shots.

I thought you were talking about him having a stroke, not his pool stroke...Thank God that wasn't the case.

Jaden

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a common fault of players who are right handed and left-eye dominant. You see the opposite in snooker player Judd Trump who is left handed and right eye dominant -- right to left tip movement on most/all shots.

I think it is a mistake to read planning and intention into faulty mechanics.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He cues in Cuba and then hits in Oregon. It's amazing that he can make a ball.

I've actually tried this with pretty good success,, i kinda liken this to fielding a ball with your back to the base you turn around and throw a dart to first , Iv made a lot of cash hitting targets by throwing or shooting a gun or throwing darts like this , I actualy lost a bet to a world class dart champion who said he could hit the bull 3 times in a row from his knees back facing the board in one motion spin and hit the bull spin again hit the bull spin again and hit the bull ,, cost me 50 for that lesson crazy what some people can do when focused

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a common fault of players who are right handed and left-eye dominant. You see the opposite in snooker player Judd Trump who is left handed and right eye dominant -- right to left tip movement on most/all shots.

I think it is a mistake to read planning and intention into faulty mechanics.

I have to agree with Mr Jewett on this. Personally, I find it very unlikely that they (Biado, Bustamante and Trump) cue up across the cue ball because of some esoteric method like BHE, CTE, XYZ, ABC or what have you. It is simply a fault in their technique that they have learned to manage and counteract.

Judd Trump cues to the right of the cue ball whenever he intends to hit center ball, and this is because he knows that somewhere in his final delivery his cueing arm would, perhaps due to habit, swipe the cue to the left. This is very noticeable on his power shots, where he is lining up further to the right of center as his body movement will be more extreme on such types of shots. The problem with this self-correcting habit is that under pressure he may have difficulty gauging the degree of offset, especially on those soft delicate positional shots.

Trump is very much aware of this technical fault, and has found a way to make it work, as do Biado I would bet. Some of the best players are the ones who are intimately aware of their technical faults, learned to manage them and turned them into strengths. Just look at Efren!

Last edited:

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Until recently, I've always lined up my shots to the right, with the right eye over the cue. Now I just center my nose over the stick. In doing so, I have noticed that my natural stroke is crooked from right to left as it travels. I didn't panic, I felt calmer and wiser. More confidence in my shot making now that I have a better understanding of what is really happening.

For precision shots, it is a very good thing to know precisely where and how the cue comes into contact with the CB. Very important.

Doesn't really matter what your stroke does or how it operates in my opinion (yeah, I know), but it is more important that you understand what is happening and when it happens. Replication builds confidence.

Lesh

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it must generate more power? He even does this on straight shots.

Never mistake individual faults as deliberate decisions to improve something.
There is no secret sauce in pool (or the world, for that matter).

A stroke is the result of individual balancing of individual faults you exhibit while moving the cue. That's why it's so difficult, the basics are the same for everybody, but not every body (sic!) is the same.

Whenever I see this kind of stroke I get the shakes and want to yell at the player.
Van Boening I actually want to hit, because his whipping has gotten just absolutely ridiculous.

Please dont do that?

Cheers,
M

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Somehow all the theories on "proper" ways to play and stroke the cue ball begin to break down when you watch great players like Trump, Biado, Efren, Bustamante and Shane play pool. I have always said there are as many different strokes as there are pool players. Who is to say what is the correct way to stroke the ball. Most of the so called "Theorists" would love to be able to play the game as well as those mentioned above!

I'm not so sure all the great players with "faulty" strokes would play so well if they somehow corrected their faults. I do not think there is one right way to play pool or stroke through the cue ball. In my lifetime I've seen exactly one Buddy Hall, who made the best hit on the cue ball of any player ever imo. He actually could hit dead center cue ball over and over again. The sound the cue ball made when struck by Buddy's cue was the cleanest you ever heard. But he was unique and that doesn't make all the rest of these great players wrong because they can't do that as well.

Last edited:

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somehow all the theories on "proper" ways to play and stroke the cue ball begin to break down when you watch great players like Trump, Biado, Efren, Bustamante and Shane play pool. I have always said there are as many different strokes as there are pool players. Who is to say what is the correct way to stroke the ball. Most of the so called "Theorists" would love to be able to play the game as well as those mentioned above!

I'm not so sure all the great players with "faulty" strokes would play so well if they somehow corrected their faults. I do not think there is one right way to play pool or stroke through the cue ball. In my lifetime I've seen exactly one Buddy Hall, who made the best hit on the cue ball of any player ever imo. He actually could hit dead center cue ball over and over again. The sound the cue ball made when struck by Buddy's cue was the cleanest you ever heard. But he was unique and that doesn't make all the rest of these great players wrong because they can't do that as well.

Yup. If you can't change your stroke, make adjustments to your aim and hit.