Gambling with cranksters...

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For all you gamblers out there I need some advice.. basically on dealing with fatigue. I have an 8-5 construction job and generally play pool in the evenings. Occasionally, I'll match up with a local that is a crack/crank head. I hold my own until it starts getting into the late hours. I've been up for 18 hours and am burning up energy focusing. But crankster head goes 'to his car' and comes back refreshed. Even if it's not this exact scenerio I'm sure lots of people have to deal with late night fatigue in general. What do you guys do out there to keep the energy up or other techniques for focusing?

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
Learn to play all night. Tell him that you're tired and you need to go home after the next set. Then continue the next day. You'll never be able to outlast these guys. They'll play for 3 or 4 days before crashing.

jon21588

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They say a crack high only lasts about six minutes. (they being the authors of my health book last semester)

Jon (may have been misinformed)

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Years ago we matched up and played a lot of straight pool for many hours. Most of the time we would agree on a time to quit...no matter who was ahead at the end of that game. If the set time to quit was midnight we wouldn't start another 125 point game after 11 PM. In some cases we would play a short game of 75. Same thing with Billiards or any of the other pool games. Johnnyt

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just go to the car with him. The next day, you'll be one hammerin' mutha f#$%#^! Reality: Stay with him. That s$#@ either clicks with you or it don't. Catch him when it don't and bust his ... well you get it.

John Barton

Those types of gamblers are tought to fade. Not only do they come back pumped up but they start making shots from everywhere.

The only way I have found to fade them is not to let it get to me and play my game. I just play until I can't play anymore then I quit.

One thing I have done when I was into head games on the table is to stall. When they come back from the bathroom or the car all pumped up - I take a break and let them sit. But ususally this messes me up because I am thinking too much about them.

One time I invited a guy to play at my workshop and he didn't even have the decency to go to the bathroom, just stepped over to a workbench to do his drugs. I finally told him not to do it in my place or split.

Some of the best winners I have booked have been against methheads though. They can't maintain a consistent level. So far I think I am about $4000 ahead on the chemical crowd. (that I know of) I am sure I have lost to folks who were much more discreet.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't let him dictate when and for how long you play, set a quitting time and stick with it, if you play when you are worn out and need to be in bed, your going to lose. Leave in time to get enough sleep and feel good the next day. You be the one in control not him.

Methodman201

@gmail.com
Silver Member
I just need Periodic Breaks every Six Hours. I scale My Breaks. Six hours gets a 30 Minute Break. I eat 2 Micky D's Burgers and Wash my face and Hands. The thing that helps me is that I don't have a life. I have school but thats pretty much about it. No Girlfriend, No Job and No Existence.
I wish I could Lead a Normal Life. Yeah, I know, Whats Normal.
You know, EveryOther kid who goes to the Movies, has a girlfriend thats loves them, To a point.
Then there's me.
-Vincent

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
There is one sure-fire way to do this: bet it all on the first set. Then you won't have to worry about all night.

I know this doesn't really answer the question, but it's what I'd do if I was worried about outlasting a methhead. Break them, then go home to bed.

-s

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cyrex said:
For all you gamblers out there I need some advice.. basically on dealing with fatigue. I have an 8-5 construction job and generally play pool in the evenings. Occasionally, I'll match up with a local that is a crack/crank head. I hold my own until it starts getting into the late hours. I've been up for 18 hours and am burning up energy focusing. But crankster head goes 'to his car' and comes back refreshed. Even if it's not this exact scenerio I'm sure lots of people have to deal with late night fatigue in general. What do you guys do out there to keep the energy up or other techniques for focusing?

I used to live in Victorville, Ca. It seemed like everyone you played out there was on speed. I even used it for awhile back then. While yes, it can be a tremendous advantage at times, overall it isn't. There were times I was using and did shoot lights out while high on meth, but overall my game really went downhill when I was using excessively, which most of the people you are gambling with probobly do.
One good tactic to use while playing someone who is on speed, is too slow down your play. People who are on speed hate to sit still, and they really get jittery if you are winning and keep them in the seat. Play a lot of safeties, they will get frustrated, because they are trying to get into a rythm. You may want to play a little more defensive than usual, the advantage you have is a clear mind. Someone on drugs will get a frustrated a lot quicker than someone playing on the natch. Also take plenty of breaks, the more breaks you take the more "bathroom breaks" he will take. With meth, more is not better he will likely take a little more than usual and will find himself jumpier and more jittery than he would like. All these things will work to your favor.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, what kind of construction do you do that you can start at 8AM ?????

I worked in construction all my life and always started at 7AM at the latest!!!!!

To answer your question, I dont' play many weeknights any longer due to the fact that I get up at 5AM every day. By 9PM, I'm beat. If I do play during the week, I am done by about 11. Can't focus and concentrate much after that.

Good luck with Mr. Speedy!!

Russ.....

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
I Ended Up Busting Him

I used to (in the 60s,70s & 80s) take ALOT of speed and play for days on end. One time, I'd been playing this fellow for two days, drinking, smoking, playing and running my mouth.

Finally, he says, "Shut your mouth and play. You've been running your mouth for two days, telling your life story and you're only up to the age of 8. Just SHUT UP !" He follows that up with, "I'll bet you $100 that you can't stay quiet for 5 minutes."

Well, my rent was due and I needed the money, so I said "That's a bet." I walked to the bar, took a sip of Black Russian, lit another cigarette, watched him shoot his shot, tapped my foot, jiggled around a bit, all nervous and figgidity (repeat all five actions a couple of times).....

After about a minute and a half, I peeled off a 'Benjy' and paid him and started running my mouth again. The room erupted in laughter.
Doug
( it ain't easy going so fast... imo ) :)

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just slow played the coke guys in the 80's, but 90% of the time I avoided them-there are better games to be played.

I never used drugs for pool. I did use roids for body building and they worked good used in a controlled way. to me elicite drug use is too dangerous and isnt worth it,

i remember a player in modesto(i wont mention his name) its NOT kim davenport, but solid B player when he wasnt high but when he was high he would turn into a ball under kim speed, when he was geeked up on coke, i mean really geeked up. he spent more on blow than he could win, i never saw some one go from a B+ player to almost a champion on a regular basis like he did.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thebigdog said:
I used to live in Victorville, Ca. It seemed like everyone you played out there was on speed. I even used it for awhile back then. While yes, it can be a tremendous advantage at times, overall it isn't. There were times I was using and did shoot lights out while high on meth, but overall my game really went downhill when I was using excessively, which most of the people you are gambling with probobly do.
One good tactic to use while playing someone who is on speed, is too slow down your play. People who are on speed hate to sit still, and they really get jittery if you are winning and keep them in the seat. Play a lot of safeties, they will get frustrated, because they are trying to get into a rythm. You may want to play a little more defensive than usual, the advantage you have is a clear mind. Someone on drugs will get a frustrated a lot quicker than someone playing on the natch. Also take plenty of breaks, the more breaks you take the more "bathroom breaks" he will take. With meth, more is not better he will likely take a little more than usual and will find himself jumpier and more jittery than he would like. All these things will work to your favor.

i used to pass through Victerville and win the gas $$$ every 6 to 8 weeks for about 3 years from 94-96, i never lost in that room, there wasnt much talent in there, i heard there was another room where there was but i just was looking for the gas money, i was tapped out then,

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
I No Longer 'Dance'

Speaking of crank/speed, I'm watching "They Shoot Horses, Don't They" on MoviePlex channel as I type this and they've been dancing for 602 hours (25 days) non-stop at this point in the movie. Oy-Vey !
What are THEY on ?

Doug
( don't tell me how it ends ) :)

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
i used to pass through Victerville and win the gas $$$ every 6 to 8 weeks for about 3 years from 94-96, i never lost in that room, there wasnt much talent in there, i heard there was another room where there was but i just was looking for the gas money, i was tapped out then,
That room didn't have any players back then. The other room you mentioned was my dad's place which was actually in Hesperia, that was the room where anyone who could play in the area would play at. These days that room in Victorville has all the local action from what I've been told.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thebigdog said:
That room didn't have any players back then. The other room you mentioned was my dad's place which was actually in Hesperia, that was the room where anyone who could play in the area would play at. These days that room in Victorville has all the local action from what I've been told.

your right, i know who you are and i do remember your dad owning it now that you mentioned it, the room i played at has players now?

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks

thanks guys theres some pretty good info here. I actually did come out a few sets head last night just from playing a little more defensively but keeping the heat on. And when he took a 'break' I washed up and had some soda and ate some carbs and just tried to keep refreshed. I like the advice about setting a time to stop or setting a limit on sets. Now of course, the next problem.. they seem to bet more than they have on them.

instroke75

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stay awake!!!!!!!!!!!

cyrex said:
there's nothing better than a crank dealer as a fish, I beat one out of about $30,000 in a few months, and he was addicted to playing as much as his product! He would call me a couple of times a week, just to meet him at the poolhall and donate to me! nothing beats a fish,with a knot the size of a grapefruit that he couldn't care about losing!
jeremy

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
your right, i know who you are and i do remember your dad owning it now that you mentioned it, the room i played at has players now?
Yes it does, from what I've been told. I think there is actually a posting on the tournament announcement forum about a one pocket tournament at that room in a couple of months.
Just check it, there will be a 2,500 added one pocket tournament at that room in Victorville in January.

Last edited: