Here is the info on this year's event.
CSI presents:

What: 18th Annual Jay Swanson Memorial 9-Ball Tournament
Date: Feb. 15-16, 2014
Time: Doors Open 9 AM - Play starts 10 AM
Place: Hard Times Billiards,
17450 Bellflower Blvd., Bellflower, CA 90706
562-867-7733
Cost: $88 Entry (includes $25 registration and green fees + $3 processing fee)
$93 Entry at the door (IF any spots are available)
INFO: Field limited to 192 players - Race to 7 on winner side - 6 one loss side
Finals - one race to 11 (Final 48 of one loss side go to 7)

Pay 48 places - $3,000 ADDED - with full field $4,000 ADDED
All added money donated by Hard Times.

ONLINE entries at www.ctsondemand.com
Updated automatically list of paid entrants: http://www.playbca.com/Events/2014JaySwansonMemorial.aspx
Flier and Registration form available here: http://www.playbca.com/portals/0/14swanee.pdf
No checks after Jan 31st. - No mailed entries received after Feb. 10th.

Any questions? Call CSI at 702-719-7665. This event fills up soon early sign-ups encouraged. No 'selling' of spots - next available will go by waiting list.

More details to follow.

Mark Griffin

Last edited:

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
OOOPS!!

The host hotel is Quality Inns & Suites, 16905 S. Pioneer Blvd, Artesia, Ca
562-402-2202.

$60 rate includes breakfast and (I think) Wifi. Plus there is a 24 hour Denny's in the parking lot.

This is only 2 miles from Hard Times and you don't even have to do the freeway!

ALSO: Dress code 'B' : http://www.playbca.com/Events/DressCode.aspx

Mark Griffin

Green Hornet

Registered
This announcement is great news and I can only hope that the 2014 U.S. Bar Table Championships announcement is around the corner. Thanks for everything you're doing to better the pool world.

Now to my point. I remember a podcast many moons ago, I believe shortly after last years Bar Table Championships that you would welcome anyone to come out and volunteer at one of the tournaments just to see how difficult it is. I have an idea!

My job affords me up to 6 weeks vacation a year. For the tenth straight year I will be attending the DCC. Perhaps if you will be attending the Derby, I was hoping we could meet and discuss the possibility of being a volunteer at the Jay Swanson, then the Bar Table Championships. But wait, what is next is just as important.

You mentioned in another podcast following the three U.S. OPEN events that you weren't sure if you could hold all three events in 2014. I can't stress how important it is to continue these events as I'm sure you believe also. If my work ethic is up to par, my thought is I would love to have a chance to commit to doing anything possible that might help make running these tournaments easier for you to run.

Now I realize you may have been half joking and half serious when you mentioned the volunteer thing, but I'm very serious that I will work for free just to have the opportunity to learn as much as possible in regards to tournament pool.

I don't care if I polish balls all day every day. I'll clean the tables in the middle of the night. I will run errands as quickly as JimmyJohns Subs. You can trust that I will follow all instructions to a T. Heck, I'll even do the trash. I want to learn as much as possible. I'm a great behind the scenes kind of guy, not looking to advance my name. Just want a chance to part of the wonderful world of tournament pool.

Last but not least, I spent a summer in Alaska in 1994. Mostly on Kodiak Island, but also visited Anchorage and Fairbanks. I know Justin gives you a hard time about your Alaska stories, but I'd like to share some good ones sometime.

I hope this idea gets serious consideration. I have ample vacation time to make this happen. Thank You for your time. If I don't see ya at the Derby, I'll make sure I ask about this idea during the next podcast. Thanks Again. Overdid it a little, but I'm serious about this volunteership.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
zomg why so little $$$ added should be $50,0000,000 added!!!

J/K Best of luck with this one, Mark.

imissedthe9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
zomg why so little $$$ added should be $50,0000,000 added!!!

J/K Best of luck with this one, Mark.

This is a no money added tournament.

25 dollar green fee Plus 3 dollar processing fee. 28x192= 5,376

Only 4 k added with a full 192. In other words the players are paying to have this tournament held :D

But charging a green fee and "adding money" sounds better
Pool players can complain as much as they want about it but it's all they have.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if I should respond to this post but in the spirit of full disclosure I will try.

Hard Times is a busy pool room. It does NOT have food or much food. Their only source of revenue is table time. The Swanson Memorial takes all of the tables on Saturday until 9 PM or so and most of the tables for a couple of hours on Sunday and then only 10 tables or so for the rest of the day.

Having this event seriously affects their sales for the 2 days. This event is 'at best' a break even proposition. There are a lot of costs to doing an event.

Because of health issues, I will not be able to actually run the event myself - this added about $800 in expenses.

Without any 'sponsors' this is the best we can do. I strongly suggest you and others come up with a better concept - and I will support it. Until then, please respect this long running event for what it is - to honor Jay Swanson and to provide the California pool community an annual 'get together'.

I do object to 'only $4,000 added' - most sports do not have ADDED money events. Be a part of the solution and not part of the problem. Also, there are very few rooms with the number of tables needed to do this event. We have use of 25 or 26 9' tables.

I do welcome constructive comments.
Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI

imissedthe9 said:
Only 4 k added with a full 192. In other words the players are paying to have this tournament held

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
OOOPS!!

The host hotel is Quality Inns & Suites, 16905 S. Pioneer Blvd, Artesia, Ca
562-402-2202.

$60 rate includes breakfast and (I think) Wifi. Plus there is a 24 hour Denny's in the parking lot.

This is only 2 miles from Hard Times and you don't even have to do the freeway!

ALSO: Dress code 'B' : http://www.playbca.com/Events/DressCode.aspx

Mark Griffin

Hi Mark,

I couldn't play last year but I'm really looking forward to it. This is always a fun tournament.

I wasn't aware you were ill - so sorry about that. It won't be the same without you.

best wishes,

Chris

Last edited:

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chris,

I look forward to seeing you and the many others.

This is a good event where you will get to see the cream of the California player's show their skills.

Mark Griffin

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
This announcement is great news and I can only hope that the 2014 U.S. Bar Table Championships announcement is around the corner. Thanks for everything you're doing to better the pool world.

Now to my point. I remember a podcast many moons ago, I believe shortly after last years Bar Table Championships that you would welcome anyone to come out and volunteer at one of the tournaments just to see how difficult it is. I have an idea!

My job affords me up to 6 weeks vacation a year. For the tenth straight year I will be attending the DCC. Perhaps if you will be attending the Derby, I was hoping we could meet and discuss the possibility of being a volunteer at the Jay Swanson, then the Bar Table Championships. But wait, what is next is just as important.

You mentioned in another podcast following the three U.S. OPEN events that you weren't sure if you could hold all three events in 2014. I can't stress how important it is to continue these events as I'm sure you believe also. If my work ethic is up to par, my thought is I would love to have a chance to commit to doing anything possible that might help make running these tournaments easier for you to run.

Now I realize you may have been half joking and half serious when you mentioned the volunteer thing, but I'm very serious that I will work for free just to have the opportunity to learn as much as possible in regards to tournament pool.

I don't care if I polish balls all day every day. I'll clean the tables in the middle of the night. I will run errands as quickly as JimmyJohns Subs. You can trust that I will follow all instructions to a T. Heck, I'll even do the trash. I want to learn as much as possible. I'm a great behind the scenes kind of guy, not looking to advance my name. Just want a chance to part of the wonderful world of tournament pool.

Last but not least, I spent a summer in Alaska in 1994. Mostly on Kodiak Island, but also visited Anchorage and Fairbanks. I know Justin gives you a hard time about your Alaska stories, but I'd like to share some good ones sometime.

I hope this idea gets serious consideration. I have ample vacation time to make this happen. Thank You for your time. If I don't see ya at the Derby, I'll make sure I ask about this idea during the next podcast. Thanks Again. Overdid it a little, but I'm serious about this volunteership.

If Mark doesnt have a spot for you contact me. I'll show you the joys of streaming in Reno. No Alaska stories though.

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

if you can, take Justin up on his offer. I have helped him in the past and it can be quite fun. Justin is a blast to hang with either way. You will get to see just how much work goes into setting things up and have a new outlook on streaming and tournaments as a whole.

Green Hornet

Registered
If Mark doesnt have a spot for you contact me. I'll show you the joys of streaming in Reno. No Alaska stories though.

Thanks for the reply Justin. It would be sweet to have an opportunity to work(volunteer) for you and/or Mark. Plus, I've never been to Reno. Hopefully, this could be beneficial for all.

I mentioned in my previous post that I'm going to be at the Derby(This year for the whole tournament). I don't recall seeing you there for the last few years. Hopefully, you can make it back this way soon. Surely you have family and friends not far away.

I would gladly give my phone number anytime. Just to give you a chance to ask whatever questions you may have about me. I have to interact with the public everyday in my current job, so you can be sure I know how to treat people with respect and represent who I work for well.

I'm hoping that this will further show you that I'm very interested in this possible opportunity. The idea of doing anything within the billiards industry excites me much more than my current job.

Looking forward to hearing back from you or Mark. I noticed in Mark's last post that he mentioned something about health issues. Speedy Recoveries.

A podcast every week. Me Likey!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if I should respond to this post but in the spirit of full disclosure I will try.

Hard Times is a busy pool room. It does NOT have food or much food. Their only source of revenue is table time. The Swanson Memorial takes all of the tables on Saturday until 9 PM or so and most of the tables for a couple of hours on Sunday and then only 10 tables or so for the rest of the day.

Having this event seriously affects their sales for the 2 days. This event is 'at best' a break even proposition. There are a lot of costs to doing an event.

Because of health issues, I will not be able to actually run the event myself - this added about $800 in expenses.

Without any 'sponsors' this is the best we can do. I strongly suggest you and others come up with a better concept - and I will support it. Until then, please respect this long running event for what it is - to honor Jay Swanson and to provide the California pool community an annual 'get together'.

I do object to 'only $4,000 added' - most sports do not have ADDED money events. Be a part of the solution and not part of the problem. Also, there are very few rooms with the number of tables needed to do this event. We have use of 25 or 26 9' tables.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI

imissedthe9 said:
Only 4 k added with a full 192. In other words the players are paying to have this tournament held

Sorry to ruin your party Mark, but I've already entered this tournament. Of course you know what that means, many players who would otherwise play will not join because they see my name on the list. Who wants to get beat by Jay "Bye" Helfert?

Anyway for those of you who don't already know, this is the "DCC" of the West Coast. Everybody in the pool world turns out for The Swanee, and we get to see all our long lost buddies and find out who's still alive and who's in jail now. Just joking, we are all law abiding citizens most of the time. All I know is one thing, I hope I draw Mark "The Guppy Shark" Griffin. :rolleyes:

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just a BUMP to get this going.

The event almost always fills up so don't delay too much.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Mark Griffin

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the info on this year's event.
CSI presents:

What: 18th Annual Jay Swanson Memorial 9-Ball Tournament
Date: Feb. 15-16, 2014
Time: Doors Open 9 AM - Play starts 10 AM
Place: Hard Times Billiards,
17450 Bellflower Blvd., Bellflower, CA 90706
562-867-7733
Cost: $88 Entry (includes $25 registration and green fees + $3 processing fee)
$93 Entry at the door (IF any spots are available)
INFO: Field limited to 192 players - Race to 7 on winner side - 6 one loss side
Finals - one race to 11 (Final 48 of one loss side go to 7)

Pay 48 places - $3,000 ADDED - with full field $4,000 ADDED
All added money donated by Hard Times.

ONLINE entries at www.ctsondemand.com
Updated automatically list of paid entrants: http://www.playbca.com/Events/2014JaySwansonMemorial.aspx
Flier and Registration form available here: http://www.playbca.com/portals/0/14swanee.pdf
No checks after Jan 31st. - No mailed entries received after Feb. 10th.

Any questions? Call CSI at 702-719-7665. This event fills up soon early sign-ups encouraged. No 'selling' of spots - next available will go by waiting list.

More details to follow.

Mark Griffin
18, wow,I can't believe he has been gone that long.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there going to be rules that prevent pattern racking?

What Dennis Orcollo did last year was very impressive, but I think pattern racking should be illegal. At the top level for the pros it just leads to the same boring runout over and over

Last edited:

terminal_288

@terminal_288
Silver Member
I know I'm looking forward to this event. I'll be good to get out of ice and cold of the frozen north for some heat, sun and pool. Let the count down to LA begin.

CantEverWin

"The One"
Silver Member
I completely understand Hardtimes wanting/needing to charge green fees for lost table time. I for one think they can charge whatever amount they want. I play in plenty of tourneys that charge green fees. There is nothing wrong with it.

However it is disingenuous to advertise added money when the green fees add up to more than the added money. Hardtimes has done the same thing for their monthly tourneys. It is without question a marketing ploy. It is an attempt to make people believe there will be more money in the pot than only what the players put it.

In this case, with a full field the players will be entering for $88 with a $7.16 green fee taken out, and there is NO added money. There's nothing wrong with that. It would just be nice if more people in the world were not trying to trick the ignorant.

In fact the only way for the tourney with "added money" to be what players are led to think it is, is for very few players to actually enter.
No one wants to see that happen.

This kind of stuff reminds me of a poker tourney that was $20 entry and advertised as $1000 guarantied. After only 15 people showed up and started playing the floor man informed us they only meet the guarantee if 50 people entered.
This was a weekly tourney that I was informed has never had 50 people. Floor man said that's just how you advertise.

Hardtimes deal isn't nearly that bad. The Swannie is letting everyone know what they're doing. They're just hoping most don't pay attention, and only read the bold print.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI

imissedthe9 said:

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just a friendly bump.

There are 73 people signed up and paid.
This event usually fills up before any signups are taken at the room.

So - please sign up early.

I am sorry, but there is no point in discussing the 'added money' vs. green fees.
Without a location, there will not be a tournament. It is that simple.

So - instead of *****ing - somebody find a viable alternative.
There is a distinct possibility this might be the last one I promote.

Mark Griffin