Are left-handers better pool players?

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Here's one more:

When teaching the stance to a new player, I hate having to set up right-handed to show them the proper stance. It feels awkward and out of line and I end up looking like a beginner too.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
And the righties;

Willie (Mosconi and Hoppe) Lassiter, Earl, Efren, SVB, Varner, Archer, Mika, Hall, Schmidt, Soquet, Appleton, Jones, Owen, Hopkins, Deuel, Pagulayan, Worst, etc. The list goes on. Not really sure how someone can think one is better than the other.

And of course, Mr. 100, Raymond Cueleman's :)

KCRack'em

I'm not argumentative!!!!
Silver Member
They are in their right mind.

^^^^this^^^^

and yes, absolutely. but they have to be left SIGHTED, as well as left HANDED. this is pure dominance.

and if, they have the rare ability to be analytical, as well as creative - well, then they go both ways. (ambidextrous)

I've read recently that the right brain/left brain thing has been largely debunked. If that's true, than what could it be attributed to? I also know some lefties who are right-eye dominant and shoot lights out.
For the record, I'm a rightie. I used to shoot with very poor vision in my left eye and better than 20/20 in my right. Turns out the left lens was bad. I had cataract surgery at 42 (both eyes) and now see pretty well with both, although I wear glasses as I'm now near-sighted. I found it very hard to play consistently well after surgery. Three years later, I still haven't played enough to master it.
For me, this is a very interesting can of worms.

terminal_288

@terminal_288
Silver Member
Being a lefty myself, I would speculate it has to do with the fact that doing things left handed is never as simple as just using the other hand. Look at writing, as a lefty you have to find a way to hold your hand so it doesn't smear what your writing down. Or in pool sure some shots are a bit more awkward depending on what side of the table you are but I never seem to have "as much" of a problem with them as my right handed team mates shooting on their awkward side of the table... but hey that's just my 2 cents

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sigel is right-handed. ;)

As is Mizerak, IIRC. They both just happen to shoot lefty and use the bridge righty.

To the OP, the clear answer is that lefties aren't inherently better players. The winner's list doesn't show an abnormal number of lefties.

Lefties often just look smoother, but if you watch them in a mirror, they're not. A smooth stroking righty will also have that silky smooth look in the mirror.

Freddie <~~~ digs mirrors

kaylaemarx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's actually a good thing to be able to switch hands while playing pool.. Do you know a significant percentage of top pool players are left-handed, much more than the general population at large?

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a lefty and you know what strikes me as funny, Ive never seen a thread
that says are right handed players better. Yet these lefty threads pop up regularly.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
About 10% of the population is left-handed, and in my experience it seems that more than 10% of the accomplished pool players are lefties. (I'm a righty.)

Apparently it's common for competitive athletes to have an over-representation of lefties. For example, far more than 10%, and probably the majority of the top baseball sluggers have been lefties, according to this.

Of course they,(we) are...... :wave3: <--------- (Left hand) :grin: