looking for good LBM

jonpador

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trying to find a good source for my cue builder. We have bought aegis 2 and ivorene 3&4 but to porous and gets dirty quick. Tried juma and elforin, personally not a fan. Would like to find out where to get the stuff that was on my sugartree it was great, tight weave didn't take chalk. Or something similar, also if possible don't want to be bent over on the price. Thanks any help would be appreciated.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
If the LBM is clean the porosity is dealt with after installation.
Signed, sealed & delivered.

KJ

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Hmmmm. None of my ferrules get dirty. Nor any of my shafts either.

But then, I like to think that I chalk properly and wipe any excess off with my hand after.

When you are in the habit of deep drilling a piece of chalk with your shaft standing completely erect, yes, the chalk will get all over a ferrule, and your shaft.

If it is happening to more than one or 2 different ferrule materials, I doubt that it is the material that is causing the problem.

I have 2 retips to do this aft. Both ferrules look like someone painted them blue on purpose, yet none of mine get that way.

Here is a small vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE1KNOp0g5M

Don't want to be bent over on the price. Don't blame ya one bit. Think of how we feel when we purchase the material in 3 to 6 foot lengths.
It is what it is. It would seem, the better the material, the more expensive it is.

Last edited:

jonpador

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try Schmelke. Get the rod type, not the tube.
More labor but worth it.
Just bought a foot to try it looks promising.

Hmmmm. None of my ferrules get dirty. Nor any of my shafts either.

But then, I like to think that I chalk properly and wipe any excess off with my hand after.

When you are in the habit of deep drilling a piece of chalk with your shaft standing completely erect, yes, the chalk will get all over a ferrule, and your shaft.
I chalk my cues right and wipe the side every time I chalk but the current ferrule of choice hits nice but seems to attract dirt.(ivoriene 3) from atlas.

That ivorite 3 cue components looks good anyone here try it? Is it porous? How tight is the weave? Does it finish dull or polish up?

dunkelcustomcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1424539710.627756.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1424539710.627756.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 491

dunkelcustomcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's another pic to give you an idea of the color. The pic was taken under super bright LED lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1424539977.372471.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1424539977.372471.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 486

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I know some LBM can be porous as well. I have some of that stuff. As KJ mentioned, you should be able to clean and seal the ferrule yourself even.

That is, if you like the hit of your current ferrule and would like to keep it on. It would help a bit in the long run.

jonpador

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
awsome folks on the forum

Just want to thank everyone for their input. Currently trying out two new sources so im good for now unless Eric Crisp wants to throw me some of that magic stuff he has. Thanks

blokid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know some LBM can be porous as well. I have some of that stuff. As KJ mentioned, you should be able to clean and seal the ferrule yourself even.

That is, if you like the hit of your current ferrule and would like to keep it on. It would help a bit in the long run.

How could I seal the ferrule? Let me know the way. Thanks

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
This is a procedure that's done on a lathe. If you don't have a lathe then don't do it.
With the shaft spinning in the lathe, tip-end exposed approx 2-3",
undercut the ferrule dia by .001/.002". Blow any dust off.
While still spinning (now 200+/- RPM), spray a light 'dusting-coat' of CA accelerator on the ferrule.
A folded paper-towel in your R-hand placed underneath the ferrule and the bottle of THIN CA
in your L-hand above the ferrule, apply a thin coat of CA to the spinning ferrule.
It will harden immediately.

Your ferrule is now coated (sealed) but will have a rough, uneven surface.
Block-sand the coated ferrule to mate the size of the shaft. It should polish nicely.

HTHs, KJ

blokid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a procedure that's done on a lathe. If you don't have a lathe then don't do it.
With the shaft spinning in the lathe, tip-end exposed approx 2-3",
undercut the ferrule dia by .001/.002". Blow any dust off.
While still spinning (now 200+/- RPM), spray a light 'dusting-coat' of CA accelerator on the ferrule.
A folded paper-towel in your R-hand placed underneath the ferrule and the bottle of THIN CA
in your L-hand above the ferrule, apply a thin coat of CA to the spinning ferrule.
It will harden immediately.

Your ferrule is now coated (sealed) but will have a rough, uneven surface.
Block-sand the coated ferrule to mate the size of the shaft. It should polish nicely.

HTHs, KJ

Thanks for your input KJ. I'll try.

akaminski

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Random question about CA and accelerator..... Why do all accelerators that I buy say it is not for use with thin CA?!?

I know sometimes it smokes I don't know if that has anything to do with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's another pic to give you an idea of the color. The pic was taken under super bright LED lights.

That white stuff, the stuff that Prather, Hightower, Schmelke, the BOZO's, CueComponents and others tout is all 'linen based melamine' (LBM); period. Nothing magic about any of it, nothing ivory like about it - It's all the same stuff, all purchased from the same supplier.

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
That white stuff, the stuff that Prather, Hightower, Schmelke, the BOZO's, CueComponents and others tout is all 'linen based melamine' (LBM); period. Nothing magic about any of it, nothing ivory like about it - It's all the same stuff, all purchased from the same supplier.

Tap, Tap, Tap maybe we should call it Iowa Ivory.:) Think I have a few inches
left of the old Spaulding stuff. I can't tell much of any difference from the now defunct
Spaulding to the new stuff.

dunkelcustomcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I can tell you is When I compared the stuff Warther is selling to my old stock that I got from Atlas it wasn't as porous and cleaned up easier.

Last edited:

jonpador

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The so called Bozos dont carry lbm in rod form, only tubes of aiges 2 and ivorene 3which need to be sealed. Saw prathers list of ferrule materials don't think there's any lbm there. Got a foot from Schmelke and its not porous at all with a tighter weave. Bought 3 feet from you, haven't recieved it yet but the pics look promising.

Last edited:

Joe Barringer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I can tell you is When I compared the stuff Warther is selling to my old stock that I got from Atlas it wasn't as porous and cleaned up easier.

Correction!!!

Sorry, I forgot that the Bozo's are importing a lot of their crap nowadays. From what I remember years ago they did in fact sell the same stuff as everyone else but since we do not do business I can't be 100% certain. However, the stuff we carry, Hightowner, Schmelke and Prather carry is in fact all the same stuff as the name of IvoryLike which is anything but IvoryLike. It's LBM; period.