Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page You Can Get Started With $100 Cue
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Sir Scratchalot
AzB Silver Member
Sir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond reputeSir Scratchalot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-11-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolguy4u View Post

My comment came from knowledge and experience.

To perform certain shots on a 9 foot table, a cheap cue just doesn't do the job

like a slightly more expensive cue. A cheap J&J or Kaiser will not perform

as well as the cheapest Joss cue. When you need extreme follow, your

cheap cue will run out of gas.

In regards to J&J and Kaiser, what you suggest could be true, but I imagine there are some players with a $100 Schmelke or Players cue that could/would dispute your suggestion.

In my experience on 9ft tables I haven't felt like my shot potential was limited when using that $70 Players sneaky pete of mine (my normal playing cue cost $700 back in '04).

I think you're talking about cheaply made vs cheaply priced. There is a difference.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Pimpin' vitamins T&A to the people since '92!

Last edited by Sir Scratchalot; 02-11-2016 at 08:17 AM.

Old
  (#32)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)

ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:

Dude, u have no idea what your talking about. Got a nine footer in the basement and play on 9 footers in one of my leagues, and I shot with my Spain, carmeli or my Schmelke and never missed a beat, grant it they were all the same weights and had the same tips.

And all the shafts were maple. And to be honest, I'd have to say my draw was a little less with the Spain of the bunch, it was shorter and stiffer than the others. And Spain is also the one that is in the Hall of Fame.

Of course my cheap Brunswick from 1942 shoots pretty well, not bad for a $12 cue at the time

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#33)
JC
The Thread Stops Here
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john coloccia View Post
Personally, I'm done with inlays and splices in my cues. Simple maple butt (maybe birdseye because it's pretty), maybe a ring or two, and that's it. Next cue will probably be wrapless too. I don't think I'd ever spend a dime on ornamentation again. If I have more to spend, I'll spend it on getting a better brand, maybe a spare shaft, whatever.
I feel exactly the same way. I have always admired cues where the beauty of the wood did the talking and not much cared for the bling. Therefore when I took an interest in building cues last year that was my goal. Make a solid cue that's pretty and plays well. Plus all the ornaments take a hell of a lot more skill and time to build, thus the expense. I don't think my interest and available time will allow me to get to that level even if I wanted to. Here are some cues I'm building right now that are almost complete. My next batch will have stitch rings and that's about it. I may do some inlays in the future and for sure points, but minimally. Less is more in that area IMO

Name:  001 [800x600].JPG
Views: 267
Size:  67.3 KB

Name:  002 [800x600].JPG
Views: 261
Size:  64.3 KB

JC

Old
  (#34)
SamLambert
Daydreaming about pool
SamLambert has a reputation beyond reputeSamLambert has a reputation beyond reputeSamLambert has a reputation beyond reputeSamLambert has a reputation beyond reputeSamLambert has a reputation beyond reputeSamLambert has a reputation beyond reputeSamLambert has a reputation beyond reputeSamLambert has a reputation beyond reputeSamLambert has a reputation beyond reputeSamLambert has a reputation beyond reputeSamLambert has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
I feel exactly the same way. I have always admired cues where the beauty of the wood did the talking and not much cared for the bling. Therefore when I took an interest in building cues last year that was my goal. Make a solid cue that's pretty and plays well. Plus all the ornaments take a hell of a lot more skill and time to build, thus the expense. I don't think my interest and available time will allow me to get to that level even if I wanted to. Here are some cues I'm building right now that are almost complete. My next batch will have stitch rings and that's about it. I may do some inlays in the future and for sure points, but minimally. Less is more in that area IMO

Attachment 411910

Attachment 411909

JC
Those are some nice looking cues.

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."

Click here to follow my progress.
(progresstoprospeed.wordpress.com)

Old
  (#35)
strmanglr scott
All about Focus
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Lol, that's funny.

Old
  (#36)
BmoreMoney
AzB Silver Member
BmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond reputeBmoreMoney has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Attachment 411910

Attachment 411909

JC

I agree with Sam, they are very nice looking. What do your prices look like?

Old
  (#37)
Corwyn_8
Energy Curmudgeon
Corwyn_8 has a reputation beyond reputeCorwyn_8 has a reputation beyond reputeCorwyn_8 has a reputation beyond reputeCorwyn_8 has a reputation beyond reputeCorwyn_8 has a reputation beyond reputeCorwyn_8 has a reputation beyond reputeCorwyn_8 has a reputation beyond reputeCorwyn_8 has a reputation beyond reputeCorwyn_8 has a reputation beyond reputeCorwyn_8 has a reputation beyond reputeCorwyn_8 has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
When you need extreme follow, your
Fortunately for me, my cue runs on stored solar power. I never even put gas into it. I suggest you get one; quieter and less smog in my pool room as well.

Thank you kindly.

Old
  (#38)
JC
The Thread Stops Here
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreMoney View Post
I agree with Sam, they are very nice looking. What do your prices look like?
Right now I am not planning on selling any until I'm sure they are ready for prime time. I'm just learning and refining the needed skills and want to make sure they don't have issues in use. I would hate for my first impression to be a bad one in the world. The Bocote cue on the top of the photo is my player and I've been putting it through the rigors now for about 6 months. Breaking with it and all. So far so good. I have no ambitions to build a custom cue to anyone's specs because I don't want the stress of a time table to take the fun out of it. So I'm going to build cues I like and when I have a rack of them done and am convinced they are a good product I will offer them for sale. I have built a half dozen or so that I have more or less given away to my friends and am waiting for some time to go by. Beta testing if you will. As far as pricing I don't know for sure yet. I'm sure whatever it is won't be competing with my day job. They are however all one of ones which is cool.

JC

Old
  (#39)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-11-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyt View Post
I think it's time to let all the new players that you can get started with a cue costing $100 or less and become an "A" player with it. As long as you have a good well shaped tip on it and it feels comfortable to you after a few weeks of play...your good to go. There are just too many that think they will never get good unless they can afford a $500+ cue. That's my opinion and I've been an "A" with $55 to $150 cues for many years. Not anymore though...75 YO. Johnnyt
Let's not create an argument that doesn't exist. In what universe are people telling new players that they will never get good unless they can afford a $500 cue??? None.

20 times or more a year, someone asks about low cost cues, with the inevitable "not the arrow, but it's the Native American..." And every time, someone (many someones) point out any number of great-playing cues available today that are under $100 including Schmelke, Dufferin, Players, and McDermott-designed Lucky or Star cues.

But, at the same time, people can spend whatever the hell they want. If they want to spend thousands, that's fine. It's not up to anyone to dictate on what and how they spend their own money.

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#40)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:

When playing on a bar box, cheap cues will work fine.

Once you graduate to a 9 foot table, you will need something better.

Like instead of an old VW, you need to go to a Cadillac to play on a 9 footer.

Cheap cues do not work good on 9 foot tables.

Maybe you're talking about ramin cues, but if you shot with my $35 McDermott, you'd throw your post in the toilet.

--------

--------

Old
  (#41)
poolguy4u
AzB Silver Member
poolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond reputepoolguy4u has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 11:41 AM

Well actually...if you're not a good enough player to understand what I'm talking about,

I guess you'll just never know. A good player knows what I'm saying.

No need to respond if you are an APA 5 or lower.

Old
  (#42)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes

02-11-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Well actually...if you're not a good enough player to understand what I'm talking about,

I guess you'll just never know. A good player knows what I'm saying.

No need to respond if you are an APA 5 or lower.

and if I'm an APA 9? Does the world end due to this conundrum ?

--------

--------

Old
  (#43)
john coloccia
AzB Silver Member
john coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond reputejohn coloccia has a reputation beyond repute

02-11-2016, 11:47 AM

Just about the only cues that make an appreciable dent in my game are ones with slip on tips and those crappy aluminum cues. Yeah, of course I play a little better with my daily players, but not so much so that I'd ever blame a loss on them.

But now let me say that the vast majority...not just some or most, but vast majority...of cues I see have horribly neglected tips on them. Mushrooming all over the place, flat,etc. I just happen to notice stuff like this, and I do look because I'm curious. I'd rather see someone buy a cheaper cue and then invest a couple of bucks into some of shaping/scuffing tools to keep their tips in good condition.

Old
  (#44)
bk-banger
Registered
bk-banger is on a distinguished road

02-11-2016, 11:57 AM

Related to this - I have a Players SP that I keep in a locker at my pool-hall. I want to get a 2nd cue for home/travel.

The second cue would be the same weight, shaft type and tip. However, different brand (Schmelke or a Lucky). Is this a bad idea?

Old
  (#45)
sys_argv
Registered
sys_argv is on a distinguished road

02-11-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:

Attachment 411910

Attachment 411909

JC

I am still looking for my daily player and what I have found is that most starter cues have either some sort of wrap or some gaudy configuration of inlays, points e.t.c. I wholeheartedly endorse your philosophy. Too bad, the bocote's not for sale

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: