safest payment option for a used table?

icemanfred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I may have found a used table that I like.

I have a mech. to inspect and move it.
we should be looking at it this sat.
he wont be moving it since that requires more help and it isnt a done deal until after inspecting.

rails may need new cushions. so Mech wants to take them to work on them before the move.

so in the event I need to take the rails to be re cushioned. and the table has to stay with the owner for another week,

I expect the owner may want payment in full.

what is the safest form of payment for such a transaction?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The person you are gonna pay will prob have something o say about that.

I'd say pay in cash while you are there, or if you arent, let the mechanic handle the transaction...which you would need to find beforehand.
What is the table? Having one at home is pretty awesome.

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
Table

Personally I would have your mechanic inspect the table, at the sellers place, while having his helpers there. If he says it's a go, pay for it, have him move it to your place. He can set it up at your place, minus the rails, and take the rails with him if needed and come back later to install them.

I did almost the same thing when I purchased mine except I knew the rubbers were good already. Difference being, I had him move the table to my place, take the rails with him so he could reface the pockets and make them tighter. Then he came back and installed the rails/ simonis. It was torture waiting but well worth it. Good luck.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
:sorry:w
I think I may have found a used table that I like.

I have a mech. to inspect and move it.
we should be looking at it this sat.
he wont be moving it since that requires more help and it isnt a done deal until after inspecting.

rails may need new cushions. so Mech wants to take them to work on them before the move.

so in the event I need to take the rails to be re cushioned. and the table has to stay with the owner for another week,

I expect the owner may want payment in full.

what is the safest form of payment for such a transaction?
Pay for the table, get a receipt that says you are leaving the table until such & such date.

After paying, take everything you can with you on the first trip.
Balls, cues, bolts, pockets, ball box, skirts, returns, the cloth.
Bring baggies and a Sharpie to place bolts & fasteners in.
Mark the bags by type and quantity.
The Mech will need a corner and side pocket casting and a few bolts for checking the opening of the pockets.

While the Mech is doing the rails.....
Either you or the Mech should....(be sure to get in writing that the Mech will do the following)
***All replacement fasteners should be of the same specifications as the originals.***
Inspect and Inventory the bolts and fasteners. Look for stripped threads.
Don't forget the lock washers on the rail bolts and the pocket castings.
Create a shopping list of needed parts.
Either you buy the parts or give the list to the Mech as soon as you know of missing fasteners.
Clean them.
Remove any rust.
Put a very light coat of oil on each.
Place them by type and quantity in new baggies.
Clean & Inspect the pocket castings for bent or cracked mounting ears.

When the table, legs and slate are picked up later.....
Sort, inventory, inspect, clean the rest of the parts.

***Be sure every Bolt Thread has a light coat of grease before assembly.***
Especially the rail bolts.
This is for the future when you have to move the table.
Be sure every pocket casting bolt has a good original style lock washer.

Last edited:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inspect it, pay for it and move it.

Have the mech disassemble the table and get it all out of there right away. 2 men and a small truck and it's done deal.

Cronk

Registered
Personally I would have your mechanic inspect the table, at the sellers place, while having his helpers there. If he says it's a go, pay for it, have him move it to your place. He can set it up at your place, minus the rails, and take the rails with him if needed and come back later to install them.

I did almost the same thing when I purchased mine except I knew the rubbers were good already. Difference being, I had him move the table to my place, take the rails with him so he could reface the pockets and make them tighter. Then he came back and installed the rails/ simonis. It was torture waiting but well worth it. Good luck.

This is what I did for the table I bought off Craigslist.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with the others. Pay cash. Take every last thing with you at the first meeting.

Is it a commercial table? What table is it? Your mechanic should know it inside and out if its a commercial model.