Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like them. Protection yes. Looks nice yes. Completes the look overall yes. Fun to make yes. I've seen some super killer jps and those I really like!
I love that case they're in, what is it?
I still use my soft suede It's George with the one weave pocket sometimes. I can fit 2 butts/2 shafts in it though I mostly bring 1 butt/2 shafts. I use JP's on all.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marek, when I mentioned the example of the butt falling out of the case it was very simple soft case which was left upside down in the locker and I should have mentioned that we have a lot of kids, youngsters who are not all that careful you know;)

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I picked up a used wood to wood joint cue and the finish on both the shaft and butt was chipped all around the joint. It is a well made cue by a respected builder.

Have no idea how it happened, but assume it was over a lengthy period of time.

It's since been refinished and JPs are secured when not in play.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why do you need joint protectors? When you are playing the cue is screwed together, when not playing cue is in the case. Now if you are the type of person that can damage the pin during the .000003 percent of a cues life that the threads are exposed, possibly you should take up chess and leave the rough and tumble world of billards alone.
Now if you want to buy a set because they are just another shiny bauble, then by all means buy the most expensive ones you can find. It's good for the billiard industry.

We do not need anything...until something happens. The subject is pretty simple. Buy or don't buy. $10-15 buys a nice protective set.

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
I love that case they're in, what is it?
I still use my soft suede It's George with the one weave pocket sometimes. I can fit 2 butts/2 shafts in it though I mostly bring 1 butt/2 shafts. I use JP's on all.

No clue. 99 cents at goodwill... fake fur diamond stitch and all. Pretty sure I gave that case away, but I'll look and see if it's in the shop or has a name on it.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 1500$ playing cue that has the matching joint protectors. without thinking about it until reading this, I don’t think I used them in 3 years, unless I’m having shaft or tip work done. No reason except lazy ness I guess

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cheap insurance as noted

I'd just consider them a seat belt type of deal. wear it 99.99% of the time and when an accident happens your butt(forgive the pun, pleaase) is covered.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you need joint protectors? When you are playing the cue is screwed together, when not playing cue is in the case. Now if you are the type of person that can damage the pin during the .000003 percent of a cues life that the threads are exposed, possibly you should take up chess and leave the rough and tumble world of billards alone.
Now if you want to buy a set because they are just another shiny bauble, then by all means buy the most expensive ones you can find. It's good for the billiard industry.
I’ve seen players pick up thier bag that was not closed and see all of thier cues slide out of the bag and hit the ground. Now this will not happen to me because I have a JB case but sh*t can happen so I like to protect the pin and joint.

My cues are not expensive, under $1000, but I still like to take care of them.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Need them? Probably not, but they're like cheap insurance. Tell you what I am sure of -
The one time I use a cue and don't have them I'll somehow manage to drop the cue and
bend the pin, or someone will spill a drink or ice cream or something right into the shaft.
I figure why take the chance? Besides, it's kinda fun to make my own. I'll likely never be
able to or have the right equipment to make a cue, but I can make joint protectors.
As for wasting time, so it takes another 20 or so seconds to take them off or put them
back on. Think about it, do you really need a spare tire in your car? but you'd likely
never be caught without one. You don't need it, until you need it, you know

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Poolhall

Read what i wrote, the guys that spill their cues out because they can't remember to close their case are the guys I recommended to reading Bobby fishers book.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, I don’t get the Bobby Fisher reference.

Since I play pool 3 times a week there are 6 opportunities a week or 312 a year that something bad can happen. Your .000003 probability is in Six Sigma territory and I would think the probability for failure would be somewhat higher.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Read what i wrote, the guys that spill their cues out because they can't remember to close their case are the guys I recommended to reading Bobby fishers book.

What does that have to do with being human? Crap happens sometimes......As for Bobby Fisher's book...rather read Tom Wirth's OnePocket...a game of controlled aggression.

Last edited:

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, my name is Marek and I have never used joint protectors. :D With my cues always stored in a good cue case I never felt any reason to use those, to me it always seemed like a loss of time to screw/uncsrew them every time I start/finish my matches. My cue joints never got dirty or had any issues screwing/unscrewing them.
What is your opinion on joint protectors? Are those anything more than beauty contest in some cases? Or does it offer any reasonable increase in cue safety?

I use joint protectors on my shafts with labels on them. It allows me to identify one shaft from the other in my case.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need joint protectors because:
1. I have had stuff fall out of case before.
2. My everyday case is a soft case, so it help protect joint screw in case I drop case.
3. It keeps my joint threads cleaner.
4. Helps me keep track of some shafts that I have multiples of.
5. Looks good.

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have mostly plastic ones on my cues but for my son, I get him custom ones made from pool balls from Doug Carter. They are awesome and my son loves them.

We started with some 8 ball ones since he is of course..... 8

Attachments

• 45033150_726332387721777_19164156959653888_o.jpg
    45033150_726332387721777_19164156959653888_o.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 170

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The loss of time comment intrigued me. So I tested the process. With large 3/8 x 10 pin it was 5-7 seconds to remove and 10 to 12 to put on. With a Predator uni-lock both under 5 seconds. Conclusion, worth the time vs. a dropped cue half.

mrkollins

USSA Board
In my opinion, joint protectors on a pool cue are as useless
and unnecessary as titanium head covers for the irons in your
set of golf clubs. As Conrad Burkman once told me,

"There are people who buy everything that is advertised in the billiard industry."

Last edited:

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes!No!Yes!No!..but they do look kool.I use them.Be back in 20 pages to see what happened..

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now count with me: I screw/unscrew my cues with every match played (3 of them - playing cue, breaker and jumper) so that takes about 45 secs every match. Now I play around 30 tournaments a year and in each tournament i play around 5 matches on average, that makes 150 matches a year. And those are just matches during weekend tournaments, I practice almost every day when not at tournament so that makes 250+ days a year where I screw/unscrew my cues at my practice sessions (for sake of easy math lets say 250 practice sessions). So that makes 400 screws/unscrews a year. 400 x 45 = 18.000secs = 300mins = 5 hours each year just using joint protectors. Now I have been playing pool for over 20 years x 5 = 100 hours saved just by not using joint protectors. And in those 20 years I havent encountered a situation where joint protectors would have saved my cues..not a single one! So maybe the way i handle this is a gamble but those 100 hours translated in a pay day at work would buy me a decent shooter :D:D:D

That was awesome. So I should take my own toilet paper to the pool hall as well.... or anywhere so that if I step into a stall that is empty of TP.... I dont waste the time backing up and finding another stall (if there is even one available).

I figure I could save maybe 20 seconds each time .... much longer if I have to wait for an available stall with TP which depending on the individual could be a few minutes... and yes, this has happened to me.

Maybe I could just use a commode so that it's a sure thing with no wait time.

:thumbup: