Mental Game Secrets - The Art of Quiet Mind

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
How's your mental game, having concentration lapses, too much internal dialogue? We all go though times when our mind is hyper active and focus is an issue.

At the championship level it's vital to reach a state of mind that eliminates distractions, negativity, intimidation, yet enhances creativity. I call this Quiet Mind.

In these videos I explain how to use the analogy of water and how to go into "The Zone," as if the game is playing through you.

https://youtu.be/xhnNZ7F8iGc

https://youtu.be/stkeLCjTKdw

The Game is the Teacher

Last edited:

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9:36 long, 9 minutes of rambling psycho babble, all the while him spinning around on something in a lake. Really?

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9:36 long, 9 minutes of rambling psycho babble, all the while him spinning around on something in a lake. Really?

I found a few things in his content that made it worth watching for me. You have to kind of pick around for them, though, it's not like he's spoon feeding you anything. I found the rotating thing very distracting at first, too. But after a minute or two of focusing on what he was saying I stopped noticing it. Maybe that was the point of it? I don't know.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
experiment with new and perhaps beneficial opportunities for mental growth

I found a few things in his content that made it worth watching for me. You have to kind of pick around for them, though, it's not like he's spoon feeding you anything. I found the rotating thing very distracting at first, too. But after a minute or two of focusing on what he was saying I stopped noticing it. Maybe that was the point of it? I don't know.

Yes, you figured it out. If someone isn't ready for certain information it will seen like craziness to them. In this day and age it's apparent how many want to put their hand in the sand and not even experiment with new and perhaps beneficial opportunities for physical and/or mental growth.

This was a fun test and you passed my friend, I wish you continued health, wealth and opportunity in these challenging times.

The Game is the Teacher

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I appreciate you watching the video, you missed the last 37 seconds

Right when they thought I was out, they pulled me back in. :groucho:

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Yes indeed, time to raise the stakes, let's see what two good deeds do.

Force met with equal and opposite force. I like that. :lmao:

While the best defense is not to be there, I know you don't roll that way. :thumbup2:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
............lol! Sit under a pyramid for an hour before you play!!

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes indeed, time to raise the stakes, let's see what two good deeds do.

I would love to sometime hear your version of wearing a Georgia Tech t shirt and coming to Marietta Georgia and trapping our local bar table champ.back in the 80s. A drive by would be great. This story still gets told by locals.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you remember the name Jacky Mann that had a little bar outside of Atlanta?

I would love to sometime hear your version of wearing a Georgia Tech t shirt and coming to Marietta Georgia and trapping our local bar table champ.back in the 80s. A drive by would be great. This story still gets told by locals.

Was that with Randy Randals?

I was in Atlanta and met his son about 7 months ago and that story came up, there's a lot more to that one and I actually told it a couple of months ago on my "Adventures on the Road" series.

I'll see if I can locate it and put it up tomorrow, that was a fun time. Atlanta had a lot of action with "Mean Dean" backing Paul Turner, Eugene Browning was there and several short stops that gambled pretty high. Do you remember the name Jacky Mann that had a little bar outside of Atlanta?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
............lol! Sit under a pyramid for an hour before you play!!

Think the secret is thinking about nothing else by the game you are playing, or shot you are trying to make.

Tought to keep you mind in that zone. Letting zero distract you.

Easier said then done. JMHO:wink:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
a step further

Think the secret is thinking about nothing else by the game you are playing, or shot you are trying to make.

Tought to keep you mind in that zone. Letting zero distract you.

Easier said then done. JMHO:wink:

The quiet mind is a step further, you are not thinking in words. The conscious mind has stepped out of the way and is allowing the unconscious to run the show.

The zone is one step past quiet mind but until you find the quiet mind you are unlikely to ever find the zone.

Hu

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was that with Randy Randals?

I was in Atlanta and met his son about 7 months ago and that story came up, there's a lot more to that one and I actually told it a couple of months ago on my "Adventures on the Road" series.

I'll see if I can locate it and put it up tomorrow, that was a fun time. Atlanta had a lot of action with "Mean Dean" backing Paul Turner, Eugene Browning was there and several short stops that gambled pretty high. Do you remember the name Jacky Mann that had a little bar outside of Atlanta?

Yes it was Randy. I never went to Jackie Manns as it closed up shortly after I got into the Atlanta pool scene. I mainly went to the Wagon Wheel and Hot Shots until they closed. Back then Paul was about the only player around Atlanta who could beat Randy on a bar table so you had to play really strong.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
BJ's is where I gambled with Paul Turner the first time.

Yes it was Randy. I never went to Jackie Manns as it closed up shortly after I got into the Atlanta pool scene. I mainly went to the Wagon Wheel and Hot Shots until they closed. Back then Paul was about the only player around Atlanta who could beat Randy on a bar table so you had to play really strong.

I found the story I did in Atlanta last year, when I played Randy and hung out there for a couple of months.....I posted it about 30 minutes ago on the forum.

The Wagon Wheel was where I played a lot and also BJ's where I gambled with Paul Turner the first time.....he was giving me the Wild 7, tough game for him. ;)

They have some really nice pool rooms now, Mr Cues, Mr Cues 2 and Kennesaw Billiards are all top notch rooms.

JC

Coos Cues
I commend CJ for how he is promoting himself and his instruction here this go round.

It's entertaining, professional and just enough tidbits donated gratis and genuine as can be expected.

Haters gonna hate no matter what.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I commend CJ for how he is promoting himself and his instruction here this go round.

It's entertaining, professional and just enough tidbits donated gratis and genuine as can be expected.

Haters gonna hate no matter what.

CJ is cool. He has to be. He has the same initials as us....only backwards.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The quiet mind is a step further, you are not thinking in words. The conscious mind has stepped out of the way and is allowing the unconscious to run the show.

The zone is one step past quiet mind but until you find the quiet mind you are unlikely to ever find the zone.

Hu

Thought thing for people to accomplish with lots on their minds.:eek:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
One route

Thought thing for people to accomplish with lots on their minds.:eek:

An author that seemed to have a great handle on the mental game said that you get to a quiet mind in steps. First the usual garbage trying to focus on the game and wondering if the wife has paid the light bill. Then you focus on the game. Next you focus on one thing like draw the stick back slowly" or "smooth transition", focus on one small thing, not "draw the stick back slowly, smooth transition, gradual acceleration." That was a good mantra during the pregame, now it is too much. From this narrow focus on one thing the mind quits thinking about anything.

This is good advice and can work. However when I am competing regularly and getting into the zone regularly I find that I can shortcut all of this. Competing with a pistol, the buzzer on the timer started my run. I also used the buzzer as the signal to drop into the zone, just blank my mind and go! A thing of beauty when it worked.

Hu
Code:

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How's your mental game, having concentration lapses, too much internal dialogue? We all go though times when our mind is hyper active and focus is an issue.

At the championship level it's vital to reach a state of mind that eliminates distractions, negativity, intimidation, yet enhances creativity. I call this Quiet Mind.

In these videos I explain how to use the analogy of water and how to go into "The Zone," as if the game is playing through you.

https://youtu.be/xhnNZ7F8iGc

https://youtu.be/stkeLCjTKdw

The Game is the Teacher

So after watching your videos I ordered the Zen in the Art of Archery book. I am now in a coma!

I had no chance of reading through this book although I'm sure it's full of good info and teachings if one can possibly make their way through it, I could not (although I did manage to read the breathing part). I then asked my wife if she would read it and give me the Cliff Notes, she couldn't get past page 7. My wife is an attorney and an avid reader so if she cannot get through it what chance did I have????

So as I was skipping around the book to see if there was anything that I could hang my hat on, I noticed that near the end the auther mentioned something like he was studying with his Master for 5 years and just starting to understand his teachings. FIVE years??? I'm an old man that may not be around 5 years from now. I think I'll pass.

I appreciate your sharing but I think I'll just hold my "water". I do like your road stories so thanks for that. :)

Dave