Old
  (#1)
skinnymg1
Registered
skinnymg1 is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500
  Send a message via Yahoo to skinnymg1 Send a message via Skype™ to skinnymg1 
Finish? - 08-03-2011, 11:56 AM

I would like to ask the cue makers what they use to finish cues with. I am trying to refinish one of mine and would like to know what to use. I have heard of some using Mercedes Benz Clear coat, but that is a little steep for my budget. Looking for another alternative. Thanks in advanced.

Old
  (#2)
Trent
Banned
Trent has a reputation beyond reputeTrent has a reputation beyond reputeTrent has a reputation beyond reputeTrent has a reputation beyond reputeTrent has a reputation beyond reputeTrent has a reputation beyond reputeTrent has a reputation beyond reputeTrent has a reputation beyond reputeTrent has a reputation beyond reputeTrent has a reputation beyond reputeTrent has a reputation beyond repute

08-03-2011, 12:00 PM

due you do cue work? does it have a wrap? do you have a lathe?

if no to these maybe you should pay someone who can do it.

Old
  (#3)
skinnymg1
Registered

08-03-2011, 12:02 PM

I do not do cue work, trying to get into it. There is no wrap. And I do not have a lathe but do have access to one. Sorry for not clearing that up on the original post.

Old
  (#4)
Renegade_56
R56 Custom Cues
Renegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade_56 has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnymg1 View Post
I do not do cue work, trying to get into it. There is no wrap. And I do not have a lathe but do have access to one. Sorry for not clearing that up on the original post.
I thought the question was what to use, not how to do it, I'd hold out for more opinions if I was the OP. Pretty sure it can be done without a lathe though,,,,,,,,,,

Renegade_56

If winning is so easy why aren't the losers doing it?

R56 Custom Cues on Facebook

Old
  (#5)
scdiveteam
Rick Geschrey
scdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond reputescdiveteam has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2011, 07:32 AM

Hi,

There are volumes of info concerning finish. Do a search and you will get plenty of good advise.

Rick G

"Handcrafted Cues using Procedural Process Control"

Cell 847 641-0276

Old
  (#6)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

08-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Spraying car finish in your garage is extremely expensive, dangerous and illegal.
Would you like to get it done instead ?

chris hightower
Old
  (#7)
desi2960
AzB Silver Member
desi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

chris hightower - 08-04-2011, 08:16 AM

told me when i first started building cues that the finish was sometimes the hardest part of the process, and the most difficult to master. i agree.
you can go the hardware store get some sandpaper of various grits, sand until smooth, then hang and spray a coat of poly onto the cue. will it look like a finish that was sanded on a lathe and shot with clear auto finish and polished with a wheel by someone that knows what they are doing? NO IT WILL NOT.

Old
  (#8)
ratcues
No yodeling, please.
ratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2011, 09:29 AM

There are many variables to take into consideration;

-what substrates you are spraying (how well it adheres)
-how it is applied (sprayed, brushed, gooped and spun)
-how you polish it (some finishes polish better than others)

I am no longer working for Mueller Rec Products.

You cannot kill me with kindness. I don't buy it...

Ryan Theewen

Contact me through Facebook or ratnroll@hotmail.com

Old
  (#9)
skinnymg1
Registered

08-04-2011, 09:59 AM

Ok, if it's not to be it's not to be. I am still going to refinish the cue. If it looks good it looks good, If it looks like my Daughter got hold to it with her mother's nail polish thats fine too. For god's sake its a Kaiser cue in the first place I was just going to try to refinish it for the practice. No need in trying to figure this out anymore Ill just stick to murdering people and eating there brains.

think
Old
  (#10)
desi2960
AzB Silver Member
desi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond reputedesi2960 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

think - 08-04-2011, 10:34 AM

on this forum, if you ask a question, it might get answered, but not always with the answer you want to hear.

Old
  (#11)
BarenbruggeCues
Unregistered User
BarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond reputeBarenbruggeCues has a reputation beyond repute

Location: Just past the big Saguaro on the eastern end of the Sonoran Desert right next to the mountain by the dry river bed.

08-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Ok, if it's not to be it's not to be. I am still going to refinish the cue. If it looks good it looks good, If it looks like my Daughter got hold to it with her mother's nail polish thats fine too. For god's sake its a Kaiser cue in the first place I was just going to try to refinish it for the practice. No need in trying to figure this out anymore Ill just stick to murdering people and eating there brains.
Buy a can of Krylon satin finish, coat it up and be happy. You've asked one of the more technical questions about cue work and now you seem to have an attitude because you didn't get any of the hand held answers that you were hoping for. I learned a lot of what I know about cue construction and finishing techniques by doing. A lot of builders have used a lot of their own money, time and energy finding the best way for them to accomplish a given task. Don't forgot this when you ask a question on this forum. It's very much like reaching into some strangers pocket and taking money from him. If he'll give it to you fine, but don't get all pissy if he puts up a little resistance.

Old
  (#12)
skinnymg1
Registered

08-04-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarenbruggeCues View Post
Buy a can of Krylon satin finish, coat it up and be happy. You've asked one of the more technical questions about cue work and now you seem to have an attitude because you didn't get any of the hand held answers that you were hoping for. I learned a lot of what I know about cue construction and finishing techniques by doing. A lot of builders have used a lot of their own money, time and energy finding the best way for them to accomplish a given task. Don't forgot this when you ask a question on this forum. It's very much like reaching into some strangers pocket and taking money from him. If he'll give it to you fine, but don't get all pissy if he puts up a little resistance.
Ok sure I stole from someone, I robbed you all blind. All I asked was what to use not how to when to or for advice. Simply what to use, I am not pissy, you want to see pissy go to a daycare and ask for the diapers. It's ok though I see that this is an ask the cuemakers, so they can capitalize type forum. Not a help someone that is truly admired by the craftsmanship of some pf these cues. Sorry if I offended anyone by asking what to use to refinish a cue.

Old
  (#13)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

08-04-2011, 01:32 PM

It's really an easy task.
Buy some 3M sandpapers.
West 207 epoxy for basecoat.
Dupont Chroma Clear is a good choice.
A SATA gun , clean compressed air , high speed buffer and some compounds.
You'll be set.

Old
  (#14)
skinnymg1
Registered

08-04-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
It's really an easy task.
Buy some 3M sandpapers.
West 207 epoxy for basecoat.
Dupont Chroma Clear is a good choice.
A SATA gun , clean compressed air , high speed buffer and some compounds.
You'll be set.
Thank You, I have a SATA 1000K RP, think that will do the job?

Old
  (#15)
Paul Dayton
AzB Silver Member
Paul Dayton has a reputation beyond reputePaul Dayton has a reputation beyond reputePaul Dayton has a reputation beyond reputePaul Dayton has a reputation beyond reputePaul Dayton has a reputation beyond reputePaul Dayton has a reputation beyond reputePaul Dayton has a reputation beyond reputePaul Dayton has a reputation beyond reputePaul Dayton has a reputation beyond reputePaul Dayton has a reputation beyond reputePaul Dayton has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I would like to ask the cue makers what they use to finish cues with. I am trying to refinish one of mine and would like to know what to use. I have heard of some using Mercedes Benz Clear coat, but that is a little steep for my budget. Looking for another alternative. Thanks in advanced.
I finished cues without a lathe or spray gun for 14 years. They looked better than anything out there at the time. Of course that was 50+ years ago and there wasn't much out there except Willie Hoppe's and old cues with no finish at all. There is no chance at all I would ever do that again but if you want to do it it isn't complicated just a time consuming pain in the butt.

First you have to sand or scrape off all the old finish, then sand the cue very smooth with fine sandpaper to remove all the sanding scratches, You have to sand with the grain. Get rid of all the dust then find a way for the cue to rest safely against something where none of the finish is touching anything.

Buy some cans of clear gloss lacquer, go outside in a breeze hold the cue in one hand and spray the cue every 5 minutes with 3 or4 coats. Let it dry for a few days wet sand the finish smooth and apply a few more coats. You might have to do this 3 or 4 times till all the pores are gone. Eventually you will be able to wet sand the final set of coats with 600 grit sandpaper then rub out the finish with different grade rubbing compounds and end up with a professional looking finish. With the amount of time and materials you will buy and use you'll be saving about 78 cents an hour but it can look so good you won't care.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: