TSA to Allow Pool Cues as carry on -

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it true that the European Commission Director for Security and Policy Coordination's name is Maryjane Jaeger?

Hot.

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is great news but doesn't necessarily mean we can carry our cues on board. Unless and until each airline changes their size restrictions on carry on luggage you still won't be able to bring cues onboard.

Most or maybe all airlines restrict carry ons by height, width, and length limits and if your carry on exceeds in any dimension you can't bring it onboard. With every airline I travelled with the (standard size) cue case exceeds the length limit.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seriously, I'm buying a new suitcase right now and this information changes everything. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Back before the ban....I traveled to some kiting events, and the kites, even broken fully down, were even taller than a typical cue case. The airlines used to let me stow them in the closet that the plane has up front, as they stacked up in there nicely, and did not restrict the items being hung there. See if this might be an option on the carrier you are flying.

Lisa

Banks

Banned
Is it true that the European Commission Director for Security and Policy Coordination's name is Maryjane Jaeger?

Hot.

Close enough!

You should call and ask to speak to her. Thank her for all of those wonderful nights, but let her know that her morning demeanor could use some work.

Rue Demot 24-28/Demotstraat 24-28
1040 Bruxelles/Brussel
Belgique*
Tel: +32 229-91111

terminal_288

@terminal_288
Silver Member
:woot: Its about time! Well this is cause for celebration, finally no more sh.. bricks on whether my cue is going to make the flight or not, or trying to wedge it in a suit case.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
This is great news but doesn't necessarily mean we can carry our cues on board. Unless and until each airline changes their size restrictions on carry on luggage you still won't be able to bring cues onboard.

Most or maybe all airlines restrict carry ons by height, width, and length limits and if your carry on exceeds in any dimension you can't bring it onboard. With every airline I travelled with the (standard size) cue case exceeds the length limit.

Not sure if united's just lax, or maybe it's because I'm using a duffel-type bag that can stretch a little. But a 2pc cue will fit fine in the carryon bag I always use. I might give it a shot next time, but only if I show up way early and bring a cue that I don't mind getting destroyed :/

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Not sure if united's just lax, or maybe it's because I'm using a duffel-type bag that can stretch a little. But a 2pc cue will fit fine in the carryon bag I always use. I might give it a shot next time, but only if I show up way early and bring a cue that I don't mind getting destroyed :/

A cue butt is approximately 29" and it may fit diagonally in one of the carry on bags.

CJ mentioned this on Facebook this morning. At least it's a step in the right direction.

I place my cue and case inside of my extra large luggage but I would change to carry on if allowed for sure. Don't know why I would do that but I guess I like having the cue with me rather than in some luggage compartment.

Still wondering how they are going to accept carry-ons for HOCKEY STICKS. :D

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I've always carried on my empty cue case without any restrictions...

i've always securely wrapped my cues in my checked luggage and carried on my empty cue case, actually I usually have a towel and my measle ball which has always made me laugh because together they are more of a club like device and can cause more damage than my cue...

Yeah, this is awesome... As much as I fly I can't wait for april whatever to roll around so I don't have to fret so much waiting for my suitcase to come out every time...

Jaden

Gotboost95

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New to the forum buthave been lurking for awhile.

Called TSA today and asked about this since I will be flying on the 25th to Vegas. They said at this point it a proposal and aren't sure if it will indeed be inacted on the 25th or not. In the by lines it does say after golf clubs 2 maximum. So they are not sure at this time if that also means 2 pool cues.

Thought I'd register and pass along the information I gathered today. Still thinking I'm going to ship my cues there and talk with people if they got to carry theirs on.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Boy - we are excited about this!

This saves every money for every pool player that flies into our tournaments.

Mark Griffin, CEO
CSI - BCAPL - USAPL

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couple questions??

If you check luggage on a plane which goes into the cargo hold does anyone know what the temperature of a cargo hold gets down to when flying? Could ivory be damaged by the temperature in a cargo hold??

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
That's great news!! Now I finally can travel in peace.

To Quesports, I'm no expert, but the cargo holds on modern passenger flights are pressurized and the temperature controlled. The actual temperature will vary by the make/model of the aircraft but unheated holds typically shouldn't fall below 10 degrees celcius. If live cargo are being stored, it will be set around room temperature.

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm confused;

Bats weighing less than 24 ounces and no longer than 24 inches will also be allowed onboard, as will lacrosse sticks, hockey sticks, pool cues, ski poles and up to two golf clubs.

What's this 24 inch rule? Do all these items have to be 24 inches to fit in the overhead compartment?