Reload this Page your thoughts on NO WARM UP STROKES
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
your thoughts on NO WARM UP STROKES
Old
  (#1)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

your thoughts on NO WARM UP STROKES - 11-16-2014, 05:55 AM

i saw a pretty decent player line up/ step in/get down on the shot/take no warm up strokes and shoot
that was his psr
he played pretty well
both pocketing balls and cue ball control
your thoughts on the pros and cons

Old
  (#2)
ps611846
AzB Silver Member
ps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-16-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
i saw a pretty decent player line up/ step in/get down on the shot/take no warm up strokes and shoot
that was his psr
he played pretty well
both pocketing balls and cue ball control
your thoughts on the pros and cons
Ronnie O'Sullivan or Tony Drago ?????????

Last edited by ps611846; 11-16-2014 at 06:04 AM.

Old
  (#3)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2014, 06:28 AM

I experimented with it for awhile and while it feels refreshing to just get down and shoot without all those steps leading up to it, I found that it doesn't hold up well under pressure.

I think, though if you had the training of a Tibetan monk, you might be able to pull it off.

Old
  (#4)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

11-16-2014, 06:29 AM

Sometimes I will do that too. If you know you are on the right line, and you have the speed down mentally, there is no need for warmup strokes.

Old
  (#5)
Pidge
AzB Silver Member
Pidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2014, 07:33 AM

There is a reason you don't see any professionals doing it.

Old
  (#6)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
And what might that reason be?

Last edited by ENGLISH!; 11-16-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Old
  (#7)
Pidge
AzB Silver Member
Pidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond reputePidge has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGLISH! View Post
And what that reason be?
Well...

It helps the timing of ones stroke.

Allows one to find the correct grip pressure for the shot at hand.

Stops the grip and arm from tensing up.

Allows some players to judge speed control.

Gives you the ability to see if you are cueing straight through where the tip is pointing, and not across it.

Allows you to see precisely where you are to strike the cue ball.

Gives the eyes a chance to judge where the CB is heading in relation to the OB better.

Gives that piston stroke of yours which I know you love and will defend to the death chance to look like a piston stroke.

Old
  (#8)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2014, 08:36 AM

Larry,

Even though Pidge originally said there was 'a' reason & then gave 8 reasons, I'll just say that in my opinion the still, one stroke method can be just as good except perhaps as Fran mentioned if one lets tension creep in under pressure. If one is prone to feeling pressure then they might be better served by a few practice or warm up or tension releasing strokes.

That said IMO it may also depend on what type stroke & grip along with grip pressure that one is utilizing that might influence which one an individual might prefer.

I actually used both until I started using TOI & then went more consistently to the one stroke method as both my grip & grip pressure acclimated to using TOI.

Whatever you choose, Good Luck with It & Best Wishes,
Rick

PS You might want to consider some other ball 'hitting' sports like Golf, Baseball, Tennis, etc.

PPS You know you can PM me if you have any specific questions or want any other interpretations.

Last edited by ENGLISH!; 11-16-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Old
  (#9)
Pidge
AzB Silver Member

11-16-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGLISH! View Post
You said there was 'a' reason & now you give 7.

Can you now explain why all that can't be done from the still image of the cue if one has a repeatable straight stroke? Picture Baseball, Golf, Tennis, Bowling, etc. or throwing a ball or even a horse shoe.
I gave you 8. for someone who likes a pick apart the finer details in posts to make the day go quicker I have to say, I'm a little disappointed in your counting ability, Rick.

You point me in the direction of any snooker professional that doesn't feather the cue ball and I'll explain.

I'll point you in the direction of 50+ people in my country that don't feather the cue ball and can't get past a 30 break.

Old
  (#10)
ps611846
AzB Silver Member
ps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond reputeps611846 has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
And what about Ronnie O'Sullivan and Tony Drago? They are professionals, right ?

Old
  (#11)
ENGLISH!
Banned

11-16-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I gave you 8. for someone who likes a pick apart the finer details in posts to make the day go quicker I have to say, I'm a little disappointed in your counting ability, Rick.

You point me in the direction of any snooker professional that doesn't feather the cue ball and I'll explain.

I'll point you in the direction of 50+ people in my country that don't feather the cue ball and can't get past a 30 break.
I can count just fine, thanks for the insult, but I am not a typists. I made the correction as soon as I reread it & changed the whole composition. Sorry for the change of heart & mind. Not really.

A pool cue ball & a snooker cue ball are not the same. I was not aware that Larry was asking about snooker.

I've given Larry my take & I'm NOT going to get into an argument with you as you are obviously baiting me to do.

Last edited by ENGLISH!; 11-16-2014 at 09:28 AM.

Old
  (#12)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

11-16-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps611846 View Post
And what about Ronnie O'Sullivan and Tony Drago? They are professionals, right ?
I'm sure you can find shots where Ronnie doesn't take any warm up strokes, but he does on a vast majority of them.

The easier the shot is, the fewer warm up strokes someone might take. I'll tell you one thing though, you'll never see a pro that one strokes the tougher shots and makes them with any regularity.

Even Earl, who most consider one of the greatest shot makers (in pool), will take 2-3 on the more difficult shots.

Old
  (#13)
Pidge
AzB Silver Member

11-16-2014, 09:35 AM

I didn't suggest pool and snooker were alike, but snooker players are regarded as some of the finest cueists because they all have lessons from a young age. You won't find an instructor in all of England that promotes not warm up strokes. You asking me to explain why my previous points couldn't be achieved without using warm up strokes makes you come across a bit dense. Either that or you're upto your usual tricks of trolling.

Old
  (#14)
ENGLISH!
Banned

11-16-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I didn't suggest pool and snooker were alike, but snooker players are regarded as some of the finest cueists because they all have lessons from a young age. You won't find an instructor in all of England that promotes not warm up strokes. You asking me to explain why my previous points couldn't be achieved without using warm up strokes makes you come across a bit dense. Either that or you're upto your usual tricks of trolling.
Thanks for the insults. I think everyone can see who is trolling here.

Sorry Larry.

Old
  (#15)
Neil
AzB Silver Member
Neil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond reputeNeil has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2200

11-16-2014, 10:22 AM

There are several ways to shoot with no warmup strokes. Which hasn't been mentioned at all. One, is to just get down and shoot. I feel that way will not hold up. The other way, which I will do at times, is to make dead sure on your alignment and preshot routine, get down, and pause. During that pause, I am verifying I am on the correct line and mentally going through the exact speed I need for the placement of the cb after the shot. Also, adjusting for any english I may be applying.

Two totally different ways of doing it, with vastly different outcomes over time.

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: